SideKick Extra Pale Ale | Two Brothers Brewing Company

SideKick Extra Pale AleSideKick Extra Pale Ale

Two Brothers Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
twobrothersbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by MCain04 on 03-15-2013

3.59/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

3.94/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a finger high thick off white head that has very good retention properties and left a short head covering the surface and lots of lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of passionfruit and orange citrus hops are present in the nose.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste has notes of citrus and tropical fruits along with a light to moderate amount of bitterness.
M: It feels a bit shy of being medium-bodied on the palate and is a little crisp with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is very easy to drink and can be considered sessionable. I would definitely consider getting this again if I was looking for something that's light but has nice IPA-like aromas and flavors.

4.23/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Swirl by: 7/5/13
"Believe in the swirl" printed on the bottom of the can...

Poured into a tapered tumbler glass, it has a compact head of creamy white foam with a bunch of lace coating the glass. It's a deep saturated gold with a slight haze to it.

Fresh and hoppy aroma, grass clippings, florals, herbal and dry.

Flavors are similar, firmly bitter with a nice grassiness, and a mild underlying sweetness from the pale malt. Some light floral botanical notes, light feel with moderate carbonation. Seems like 2 Bros. answer to Daisy Cutter, though it's a little less hoppy and bitter. Still it's a great warm-weather go-to that i'd look for on tap around town to pair with most types of foods.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.53/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Two Brothers Brewing Co. "Sidekick Extra Pale Ale"
12 fl. oz. can, "SWIRL BY: 03/28/16" on 03/29/16
$1.99 @ Giant, Haverstown, PA

Not expecting much from an "Extra Pale Ale" I mindlessly cracked the top on my can and poured it fairly roughly into an Imperial pint glass bringing up a full three fingered head of frothy bright white foam. It took quite some time to dwindle, but I was in no rush. I wandered off to do a few things, and when I returned I noticed that the head was still there, and that it was a hazy golden - not what I was expecting - and then I smelled it, which was totally not what I was expecting! I didn't raise it to my lips, no, I could smell it at arms length sitting there on the kitchen counter - citrusy hops! Now I was intrigued. Wow! Papaya, mango, tangerine, pineapple, and apricot. The flavor was just as juicy, and I though of how refreshing it would be on a hot day. What's the ABV? 5.1%, I can live with that. And it comes in a can! This could become one of my favorite summer beers for taking to parties, fishing, canoeing, hiking/camping, concerts, festivals and so on. Somehow the malt doesn't quite live up to it's end of the bargain, but the way I see it this is kind of like a session IPA, and to be honest I don't want it too filling. It's balanced, apart from the juicy hops which are 'billowing', and that's enough for me. Impressive! I'd call this one a "must try".

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

First had: on tap at TJ's, Paoli, PA

Clear golden-yellow pour with a fluffy white head that retained well and left sheets of lacing on the glass. Nice hoppy aroma, citrus, grass, with a crackery malt base. Pretty much the same in the taste, a basic APA, well-balanced, good mixture of citrus/grass/earth hops, biscuity malt sweetness holding it all together. Nothing new, but nothing to complain about. Light-medium body, and easily drinkable overall.

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

BBD 10-22-14

Pours an effervescent hay color with 3 fingers of eggshell colored head. Good head retention & stellar lacing

S: Lemon & grapefruit & lemongrass

T: Grapefruit, lemon, slight breadyness, a little bit of pineapple up front. Some dryness, grapefruit & pineapple as this warm. Finishes with pineapple, grapefruit & pine & ever so slight bready sweetness

MF: Medium bodied, lively carbonation, nice balance

Easy drinker, very nice session beer that delivers on the hops

3.77/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Once more, I will reiterate the point that if you are transiting through Union Station in Chicago and you have some time to spare, head over to Binney's (South Side Loop). I CANnot imagine that you will be disappointed. I have never been more appeased in my life than when I am leaving there.

From the CAN: "A Sidekick Is Always There For You."; "Buddy, pal, mate, brother (or sister) from another mother, compadre ... sidekick. All of these are ways to describe someone or something that is always at your side. Sidekick extra pale ale is one of those things. This golden colored ale is loaded with juicy citrus and passion fruit aroma yet balanced with malt and hop character. A true companion."

Man, not only did the Crack release some foam, but once it subsided, it was another brimful craft CAN! I went with an inverted Glug and was rewarded with two fingers of dense, rocky, bone-white head with good retention. This might be an example of "element bright", in which you CAN see the element in a light bulb through the beer. Color was a beautiful sunshine-yellow. SRM = 5. Nose was redolent with pine hops and my mouth was drooling unCANtrollably. I think that I even smelled mandarin oranges, also. I swear that I did not transcribe the CAN before typing all of that. It was like drinking dumbed-down Sculpin and I am not sure how I feel about that. Great lacing throughout. Finish was dry and pleasant but I felt like it lacked a certain Oomph. I guess that its inclusion in my cooler would depend on a) Sculpin's availability and b) Sculpin's ABV and what I was planning to accomplish. A near-miss, but still a miss.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Served in a willibecher at Firkin.

Well, I missed out on the debut of the Game of Thrones beer here, but I'll take a new local pale in its stead if I must. This stuff pours a clear pale golden topped by a finger of bone foam. The nose comprises grass, earthy greens, and a hint of sweet biscuit. The taste brings in more of the same, along with a thin layer of honey, though, make no mistake, the earthy hops run the show here. Still, that bit of balance really helps this stuff shine. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, a damn fine pale ale. I'll echo my man emerge and say this is likely Two Brothers' answer to Daisy Cutter (albeit decidedly delayed), but due to its insistence on an earthier tack, I'd say there's plenty of room for both on our local shelves.

SideKick Extra Pale Ale from Two Brothers Brewing Company