Monarch White Beer | Two Brothers Brewing Company

Added by AtLagerHeads on 07-18-2002

1.75/5  rDev -50.6%

1.89/5  rDev -46.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The appearance of the beer as it poured into the glass was very nice, slightly higher carbonation than most Wit-styled beers. Medium-bodied head. The smell was that of a typical american big boy lager, more Heilemann's than Hoegarden. The taste confirmed this. There was no Citrus or Banana or Clove flavor, simply middle of the road use of hops. I had to look twice at the label to make sure that I was pouring the right beer. This beer bore no resemblance to any Wit style beer I have ever had and I was greatly disappointed. It was very close to Hamms or Pabst in flavor and smell.

This was the first problem I have had with any of the Two Brother's products so I am hoping I simply got "a bad batch." The other reviews seem to confirm this.

2.06/5  rDev -41.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

2.12/5  rDev -40.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a wit glass.

A - Tarnished straw with only a hint of haze, and topped by a finger-worth of moderate head that fades fairly fast. Leaves behind trace lacing.

S - A bit of lemon, some Belgian yeast spice (I'm thinking a little cardamom), and a hint of coriander. There's a murky sourness to the aroma as well.

T - Much like the smell, a bit of lemon-orange, then spiciness that quickly is overcome by a tartness that is muddled and unpleasant, almost chemical. The artificial-tasting sourness stayed in place.

M - A slight chewiness, but not in the pleasant witbier way I had hoped for. The chemical sourness affected the mouthfeel as well, slightly coating the tongue.

D - My first drainpour. The slight sourness was too unpleasant to get through.

I usually really like the Two Brothers beers, and I'm wondering if this may have had some kind of infection. I'll be cracking open another one just to give it another shot, but be warned.

2.25/5  rDev -36.4%

2.53/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Monarch White, or Wit, as we are calling it here. Well, I got through the six pack, and I’m convinced that I don’t like this beer. It is a glowing yellow, very hazy, with not a lot of head. What head there was did not impress: bubbly and pure white. The aroma is dominated, not by banana yeasts, but the malts. The taste is simply Zima, in my view, kind of like a flat gin and tonic, suffused with bubbles, cooled and sold as a beer. No aftertaste, in fact, not a whole lot of taste to speak of anyway.

2.68/5  rDev -24.3%

The cap lasts for a while, about a finger, bone white, over a very hazy straw colored body, very hazy.
Aroma has the clove & banana notes, a bit dry however, not that juicy banana.
As this one hits my mouth the first thing i notice is how creamy it is, very full bodied and low carb and just silky and creamy, very yeasty flavors, not surprising because of how cloudy it was on the pour, and lemongrass, the banana and clove is there but doesn't pop like a normal Wit, some spices are here but barely.

2.86/5  rDev -19.2%

Served from the bottle at Lizardville

A- Poured a cloudy pale yellow with a frothy head that left no lace

S- Big coriander, unique blend of spices I can't put my finger on, barely a trace of citrus

T- Big coriander and spice notes. The spice blend is a little strange, a very spiced beer. Some almost jalapeno pepper like notes without the heat. Barely a trace of citrus. A very strange hot dog water taste is going on too. Very watery and spiced tasting beer

M- Crisp, fairly dry, prickly carbonation

O- This is a bizarre beer. I love witbiers but this is the worst I have had. I am not sure what was going on with this beer.

2.88/5  rDev -18.6%

Light bodied, hazy pale straw color with a quick disappearing white head.

Aroma is mostly coriander with a bit of biscuit.

Taste is a little thin, mainly biscuit with a touch of coriander and citrus. Fairly dry from the start, crisp finish.

Should be a decent summer cooler.

2.89/5  rDev -18.4%

Wanted something summery so I decided to pick this up. Clear pale gold color with very minimal lacing and poor head retention. Citrus aroma with coriander and a sort of peppery/spicy tone. Not much carbonation with a thin mouthfeel. Has a sort of saison quality to it. Flavor isn't that great, pretty muted. Overall, not one of my favorites.

2.94/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a hazy, gold color. 1/5 inch head of a white color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of a hint of clove, slight pale malt, hint of sweet malt, slight citrus, and a hint of yeast. Fits the style of a Witbier. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of a hint of clove, slight pale malt, hint of sweet malt, slight citrus, and a hint of yeast. Overall, weak appearance, aroma, body, and blend.

2.96/5  rDev -16.4%

12oz. bottle poured into a nonic. Best by 6/6/11.

(A)- Pours a clear yellow color. Produced a good white cap of foam. Good retention and lace.

(S)- A big dry lemon-like biscuit.

(T)- Similar to the smell. A thin, corn-like dry lemon and biscuit profile.

(M)- A crisp carbonation level and a decent balance. Just a little plain and thin even for a witbier.

(D)- Not bad. Very straightforward and basic for the style.

2.98/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle, best by 9/20/07. hope that doesn't ruin it.

A - Pours a very clear darker golden color. Any carbonation head quickly disappeared.

S - Very little smell here. Perhaps I can smell a grainy malt flavor.

T - Very little flavor upon initial drink, but finishes with a pile of bitter orange peel. Perhaps its not that strong, but compared to the initial lack of taste, it seems to by quite a contrast. The more I drink it, I get this almost dusty taste from it.

M - Very little carbonation here makes for a very smooth drink.

D - A drinkable beer for a few. The orange flavor is slightly overbearing after a while.

This reminds me of Vuuve - another witbier I'm not as keen on.

Monarch White Beer from Two Brothers Brewing Company