Adam Bomb IPA | Blackstone Restaurant & Brewery

Blackstone Restaurant & Brewery
Tennessee, United States
blackstonebrewery.com

Style: American IPA

Adam Bomb is our first high gravity offering and this beer is a monster. The ABV weighs in at 7.3% with 83 IBUs of bitterness. There is a massive amount of hops in this beer with a two week dry hopping schedule comprised of three different dry hop additions.

Added by Brent on 02-29-2012

2.46/5  rDev -34.7%

I LOVE fresh hop beer and beers over 100 IBU. (As far as I know this in NOT fresh hop, but even then... well, read on.) The appearance was fine, though a bit hazy, and the aroma great: a Centennial like aroma with grapefruit-hint. Head pillow mixed with big bubble that goes away fast. It's when you get to the mouthfeel and taste where this falls. Harsh. Understand: I love 100 IBU beers but this is grassy: not in a good way, astringent: as if boiled too long, or dry hopped to the extreme. I'm guessing the first. This would be a GREAT beer, but something went REAL wrong with the hops here. Bear in mind: Tim Rastetter in Ohio and KY was doing IBUs way over 100 and I loved them. Had to cut some back then, not now I would think, but loved anyway. This was hard to drink.

I love Blackstone's beer. That didn't used to be quite as true. Years ago they stuck mostly with a few styles, but when Travis came they started mixing them up. Indeed, if you're looking for on the style mark, and very good, Blackstone's the place. My guess: since TN has abv issues, and this according to what I have read this is their first high grav offering, (Bottled?) they tried to compensate and over shot that mark.

They hand pump beers. I'm guessing I'd like this a whole lot better on hand pump: tends to soften out the harshness.

2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

3.22/5  rDev -14.6%

3.44/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle, best by 4th week of March 2013. Served at around 40-45F.

Pours semi-hazy amber with a two finger white head that leaves globby rings of lacing and holds a good cap.

Aroma is oranges, some pine, apricot, caramel, bread. Good to very good strength. Hoppy but balanced with a good bit of malt.

Flavor is orange citrus, apricot, resinous hops, good amount of caramel malt, mild to moderate sweetness, moderate to good bitterness, some alcohol on the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, somewhat creamy, little sticky, good carbonation.

Good IPA. Definitely more on the balanced side, decent bit of caramel here, not exactly my style, but pretty good.

3.56/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Golden amber. Thick white head that showed good retention. Nice lacing as well.

S: Tropical citrus aroma.

T: Nice malt/hop balance. Fairly bitter with a lingering soapy numbness.

M: Medium thickness. Very nice.

O: A very solid IPA. I would definitely imbibe in one again if given the chance.

3.56/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Hazy amber with a one finger head.

Smell: Started out mostly citrusy with some pine notes

Taste: Crisp with mostly piney hop taste. Was expecting citrus taste from the smell but none detected

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation with a nice smooth finish

Drinkability: I really needed a good beer after sitting for 45 minutes in my car on I-40 between Memphis and Forrest City, Arkansas (stupid highway construction). This beer definitely hit the spot when we reached the Hampton Inn in Arkadelphia. Looking forward to sharing the rest of the six-pack with my son when I finally make it back to Texas.

Adam Bomb IPA from Blackstone Restaurant & Brewery