Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pale Ale | Ellicottville Brewing Co.

Pale AlePale Ale
3.7/5
Good
Pale AlePale Ale

Ellicottville Brewing Co.
New York, United States
ellicottvillebrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-09-2001

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Color is a nice golden yellow with a mild orange hue and excellent head and lacing. Swell fairly sweet with a good level of hoppy bitterness, pale malts, and malt sweetness. I expected just another pale but was surprised with the citrus hops and sweet malts of this beer. Maybe it was the two nugget nectars I had but it in no way got too bitter. Mouthfeel was good giving me a light to medium bodied drinking experience. Overall I enjoy most beers by these guys but have no access to them since they distribute to NY, but may consider getting another bottle if I get another offer from Halftime beverage.com

3.12/5  rDev -15.7%

This is one of those beers where it looks great, smells great, and has a nice thick head that laces beautifully. With that being said I didnt love it, I wanted too, I have had it in the past at a bar after many too many other beers and didnt think I should rate it then. I stopped in for dinner at the Beef and Barrell in Olean NY and ordered the Beef on Weck platter, which included potato salad and coleslaw. The hoppiness of the Pale Ale seemed good at first but then started turning everything I ate bitter. I love beer and I love food and I think I made a poor choice with the pairing. I will say though that when I added horseradish to my sandwich and then took a draw from my beer the citrus notes popped and cleared my pallet. I will try it again with another food sooner or later and do another review.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

Pale Ale from Ellicottville Brewing Co.