Oktoberfest Lager | Ellicottville Brewing Co.

good

Availability: Fall

Added by orfeu on 09-11-2007

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.65/5  rDev +3.7%

EBC Oktoberfest has a clear, copper-colored body and a small, off-white head. The head is made up of tightly packed bubbles, and leaves a few scraps of lacing behind.

A little bit of bready malt in the aroma, with some earthy hops as well.

I've only had a couple of other EBC beers, and I didn't like them. This Oktoberfest, however, is a pretty solid beer. It is definitely toward the hoppy side of the spectrum. First comes a good dose of earthy, floral hops that bring a moderate bitterness. Next, a light fruit element from the yeast. The malt finally comes through, with a clean, bread flavor and a bit of sweetness. As I said, skewed toward the hoppy side; it's nice that this one isn't loaded down with caramel malts also.

Medium-bodied with smooth carbonation.

I love Oktoberfest beers, and this was one that I enjoyed. EBC Fest is worth a shot if like hoppy versions of the style.

2.94/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a nice copper gold with a thin white head.Not much retention, and just a bit of laceing.Aroma is of bready malts,but was on the weak side. This beer has a lighter body than many of this style, with a good amount of carbonation. Taste was pretty one dementional. Bready, and malty. I was expecting more from this brewery. Average at best.

2.23/5  rDev -36.6%

I bought this growler and thought that I would give it a try. I really like the nice copper color. The foam on the head dissipated quickly. This had an earthy aroma and pronounced hops, that I thought gave it sort of a musty flavor and smell, sort of like my grandfather's cellar. Not what I was expecting an Octoberfest to be. The taste was a bit on the pungent side and not very smooth. The harshness of this one to sort of caught in my throat as I was drinking it. Maybe it is a bit too overbearing for my taste.

4.36/5  rDev +23.9%

Presentation: It was poured from a half-gallon growler into a dimpled mug.

Appearance: It had a nice, deep amber colored body with good clarity. The head was creamy white in color and thin. It faded fast leaving just a ring of bubbles on top of the body.

Smell: The aroma had earthy and herbal hops with a hint of sweet malt and a touch of lemon oil.

Taste/Mouth feel: Its flavor had a good mix of sweet, caramel and bready malts with leafy/herbal hops and a hint of sweet lemon. Its mild hop bitterness fades off the tongue in the finish. The texture is smooth and mellow with soft carbonation. It is very drinkable and medium bodied.

Notes: I love a good Oktoberfest and this one fits the bill nicely.

3.4/5  rDev -3.4%

Copper coloured body with a tight white head. Sweet bready aroma with a touch of grassy hops. The flavours has lots of bready malts and a touch of brown sugar, but the hops seem to divorced from procedings, and I think this beer would be a lot better if they were more to the fore. For an oktoberfest its probably about par for the course (and I've rated it as such), but for me this is a bit of a miss. Mouthfeel is medium-light with moderate carbonation. Drinkable enough, but not really my thing.

3.26/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from the growler a brilliant clear copper into a .5 liter stein a thin lacey head atop,a strange sourness in the nose wich shouldnt be in a fest/marzen style beer Iam not sure where that comes from a bit of toasty malt shows up as well.A big green apple element shows up flavor wise wich is odd a toasty malt base shows up as well as a bit of leafy hop,slightly sweet but the green apple flavor really hits hard.There was some CO2 problems with the keg at the Orchard Park Consumers so that maybe the reason for the odd flavors,Andrew really liked this beer and I totally respect his judgment I might have to go to the brewpub to get the real taste of this beer.

4.3/5  rDev +22.2%

Growler filled at Consumer's Beverage on Sheridan Drive. Pale side of crystalline amber. Dusky ecru foam is surprisingly sticky and fat for a malty lager of this type. Reluctant carbonation streaks upward, barely stustaining the head. Soft bready aromas comingle with garden variety but spicy herbal notes. Initial hallertauer zest mellows out accordingly into a toasted dark bread flavor. Lager-smooth texture with soft carbonation. A bit of lemon-pepper herbal hop spiciness emerges later on, but the sturdy bread-crust malt balance in this one is no less than artful. Finishes somewhat aromatically with a lingering citric sweetness. Triumphantly hopped while remaining malt forward. A confident and marvelous example of a sessionable Märzen. And ridiculously fresh, to boot.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Oktoberfest Lager from Ellicottville Brewing Co.