Tröegs Master Of Pumpkins | Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Brewed with native Pennsylvania neck pumpkins harvested just a few miles from our brewery at Strites’ Orchard, Master of Pumpkins conjures the spirit of autumn by combining roasted pumpkins and traditional pie spices with a French saison yeast. This natural fermentation releases a palate of vanilla, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger, and honey. In addition to 750mL bottles, Master of Pumpkins is also currently available on draft and for take-out growler fills in the Tasting Room. Taste it you will see. More is all you need!

Added by orangesol on 10-23-2013

Reviews: 57 | Ratings: 361
Reviews by one4thegutter:
2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

4.12/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Mine is a 2014 vintage bottle, set aside & then forgotten until now. Forgive me, Master, as I got caught up in The CANQuest (tm) & neglected so many bottles!

From the bottle: "Brewed with native Pennsylvania neck pumpkins harvested just a few miles from our brewery, Master of Pumpkins conjures the spirit of autumn by combining traditional pie spices with French saison yeast to elicit notes of vanilla, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and honey."; "Master of Pumpkins is highly carbonated. Hold chalice and pour into center of the glass to release the yeast's complex character."

I unwound the wire cage holding the cork in place, while keeping my thumb over said cork. The cork was solidly in the neck & gave me some resistance before relinquishing its grip and sliding out. The Pop! was not as loud as in some beers that I have had, but it was sufficient. The bottle suggests a chalice, but I went with a goblet for my very gentle pour. As such, I had to employ a swirl once in the glass to raise a brief finger of thin, light-tan head that could not wait to return to wisps. Color was a slightly hazy Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22), closer to 17, though. Nose was a unique mélange with the saison yeast having had a chance to really impart its light funkiness on the spices, which were also highly evident. I also got a treacle-like bitter sweetness in the mix. Intriguing! Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, with very limited carbonation. The taste was really different, commingling cinnamon and nutmeg with the funk of saison along with hints of vanilla and that treacle-like flavor that I noted earlier. The latter might have been borne of the honey, but it no longer had its traditional outright sweetness. The overall effect was one of drinking a liqueur or an aperitif. It was sweet-ish, but slightly funky and the lack of carbonation was giving it a solid mouthfeel. Interestingly, the haze seemed to clarify as it warmed, giving it a Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = 13) color, much akin to brandy or whiskey. I would be really curious to see what this would be like if it were to be distilled. A second decanting had none of the earlier haze, so it may have been the cold of my reefer that caused it. I prefer my beers closer to room temp, anyway, so it all worked out. I will say this - it is definitely a beer to be savored. As I have grown older, I tend to take my sweet time any more. The rush-rush that was a hallmark of my youth is in its ebb tide. The Navy inculcated the idea that "5" early is on-time, On-time is late and Past due is a world of trouble". I no longer subscribe to that as a hard-and-fast axiom & unless time is of the essence, I prefer a more leisurely pace. The finish was dry, not surprising, given the spices and the yeast. Very enjoyable.

And now ,,, it is time for the lees pour. I also subscribe to "Waste not, want not" as an axiom. I once almost wept as I watched Tom Baker, then of Heavyweight BC, dump lees on the ground! The late Charles Bukowski remarked that "Of all of my problems, constipation ain't one of 'em!" Ha! Sure, the lees can/may/do act as Roto-Rooter in my digestive tract, but when the average American dies with 5' of undigested red meat in there, I like cleanliness. Now, the spices were so intense that I reeled back as though I had been maced! I did a stint as a cop and before we were issued mace & pepper spray, we got a shot to see how it feels. I have never forgotten it. Ugh. The brown liquid in the glass looked like turbid Conestoga River water. One singular draught & it was gone, leaving me gasping for air and anticipating the coming aftermath.

3.09/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours into a chalice a highly carbonated burnt orange with a very thin head atop.Mild yeasty phenols and some barnyard in there as well,very light roasted pumpkin but it's there.A sharp somewhat fizzy feel in the mouth that I don't particularly care for.Highly spiced on the palate between the yeasty phenols and pie spice,big nutmeg and clove...alot of nutmeg.I should have looked at the reviews before buying,disappointing.

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

3.06/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours clear, orange-brown with 1/4 inch head. Taste is cinnamon, clove, earth, and alcohol. This is a big beer that seems to be average for an imperial pumpkin. Not a bad beer, but I prefer others with more depth.

4.15/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.24/5  rDev +21.5%

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

3.44/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had tonight at Walrus + Carpenter on draft, into a tulip glass. Pours a clear copper/rust color with a small head that fades fast, minimal lacing. Quick blast of spice and sweetness on the nose, very mild, notes of clove. Taste is initial malt sweetness which is knocked out by a big wave of spice, too much. I get hints of vanilla and clove. Seems spiced wrong for a pumpkin beer. Medium bodied and gets a little difficult to drink at the end.

3.72/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.91/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.52/5  rDev +0.9%