Nugget Nectar

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Nugget NectarNugget Nectar
Notes: Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Reviews: 2,592 | Ratings: 8,731 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by HoppingMadMonk:
3.86/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Clear amber color, above average carbonation but still feel a little thin. Aroma is pine,malt and mild citrus. Taste comes off almost identical,pine is dominant,not overpowering yet still lingers a while

3.74/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This was once a stellar beer. Since the brewery moved from Harrisburg to Hershey the bottom has dropped out. It was once a beer I waited the entire year for and would horde as much as I could. Now, I buy a six and hope it has changed. The fresh citrus/hop punch that made it so unique has been replaced by blandness with very little mouthfeel. This year, like the past couple, I will be limiting my consumption to one six. However, I still look forward to Nimble Giant - which has stepped up to replace NN has my favorite beer from Troegs. June cannot come soon enough.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From the new 16oz cans.
One of the best beers I've had. The smell is like sticking your nose in a bag or hops and the taste reflects the smell. Crystal clear orange beer.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Quite possibly the best IPA I've ever had. A serious bronze, copper, golden hue; mostly clear except a light haze; with a dense bleached white head. Difficult to want to drink--you just want to keep your nose in the glass; the aroma is that good! Serious grapefruit, grassy, and citrus characters in the aroma travels flawlessly into the flavor. Could be easily mistaken for grapefruit juice if not for a moderate, yet firm malt base. Citrus flavors with low level bitterness and bite-eyness because of the caramel barley sweetness. Smooth and silky to the mouth with a lightly alcoholic and hop drying sensation. The perfect summertime refresher and a treat for the senses at any occasion.

4.74/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As stated by a previous review buy this FRESH. This was the first beer that totally blew my mind when I was introduced about 5 years ago. A tropical explosion awaits to those who suffer through winter in anticipation. The malt backbone is a bit more pronounced than in years past but it doesn't detract.

On a side note, I wish my mom would have told me that Troegs hired her to be their new graphic artist.

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A little dissapointed after getting this due to the high ratings.

Color is a medium to dark amber - very clear. Medium head that dissapates quickly.

What struck me was an overwhelming malty, caramel,burnt sugar, sweetness, yet not a lot of flavor. For me, this was too sweet, and it lacked the citrusy and piney notes that are typical for an IPA.

Not a bad beer by any means, and it's worth a try as it's different and the sweetness is distinctive, but I probably won't ever get this one again.

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a brilliantly clear light amber color with a billowy head that sticks and laces nicely

Smell: Loads of grapefruit but there is more; floral and slightly herbal, too

Taste: The toffee malt jumps out but is quickly joined by the grapefruit, though the hops bring an herbal element, too; after the swallow, this is all about the bitterness, although there is some residual sweetness on the tongue at the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Tasted within two weeks of bottling, it doesn't get much better than this for hoppy beers

3.79/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle. Bottled on January 7th. A little over a week old.

Excited to have this fresh. Unfortunately this just does not live up to the hype. I have no idea why this one gets so much praise. Like Hopslam, this one probably stood out 5 years ago. Today, it just doesn't cut it.

4.19/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass at Bottoms Up in Jingan, Shanghai, China.

A: Amber/dark orange with a 2 finger off-white head that lasts over 2 minutes.

S: Fruity and citrusy. Sweetness of light honey, light yeasty bread

T: Balance. Sappy hops with bread underneath. Slightly yeasty with light bread notes.

Overall: Great drinkable beer, balanced with good hop and malt profile. Very drinkable!

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a clear reddish brown color with a tight, off-white head that little bits of lacing.

Smells of citrus and herbal hops.

Tastes of the hops upfront layered over a great malt base. Hops lead off with notes of grapefruit and some pine. This gives way to caramel malts with notes of toffee and toasted bread. More hops come next as herbal and earthy notes appear. Finishes with some lingering hops.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is a great, hoppy red.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass:

Appearance: pours a copper-orange in color, with a completely translucent body. Nice, thick head on top, which leaves plenty of lacing while drinking.

Aroma: lots of pine, mixed in with some solid fruity notes as well. Pretty potent mango sweetness, with some bitter pineapple skin. Lots of pine.

Taste: the only issue I had here was that it finishes sooo sweet. The initial flavor is bitter piney-ness, followed up by some really nice mango. Some beers blast you with an array of fruitiness, but this one is totally focused on the mango. Finishes with some more bitterness, but also a ton of sweetness, which isn't my favorite flavor.

Feel: medium-bodied and pretty sticky on the finish. Crisp carbonation.

Overall: a very good brew. I didn't even know it was a "Red ale" until jotting down this review, although it really was more IPA than red anyway. In any case, I'd drink it again any day.

4.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured a clear deep amber color with a fingers worth of foamy white head. The nose has some citrus notes with pine and some caramel. The flavor is well balanced. A perfect combination of the amber ale and IPA characteristics. The feel is medium with good carbonation. I've been waiting a long time to try this one and it may not be as big as some of the beers out there not but it gets everything it does right!

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to jmpizzo for sending me this one!

Bottled 2/20/12.

Pours a clear copper/amber with a 1 inch foamy tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks and dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of lots of citrus zest, herbal hops, and some tropical fruit aromas. Taste is super hoppy with citrus zest and tropical fruit flavors up front with a herbal hop quality on the finish. There is a pretty assertive bitterness on the palate after each sip. This beer has a light level of carbonation with a medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with a wonderful hop presence in the aroma and taste.

4.48/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reminds me of some of my favorite Ambers from WI (Capital, Sprecher), but with an aggressive hop profile. For a West Coast Hop-head, I thought it was really well done.

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic pint glass. Pours a clear copper color with a bubbly white head. Great fruity tropical smell right off the bat then yields to an interesting clover honey like smell. Taste is very similar to the smell, juicy and honey like. Call me crazy but its like a beer version of mead in a way. What the heck do I know, anyone really going to read my reviews? Probably not but my wife likes it so much that I will probably get a fresh squeeze a little later ;)

4.24/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: clear amber hue with average carb for an amber/ipa

Aroma. Wet forest soil, Pine, grapefruit. Even an unexpected a weird hint of maybe dandelion?

This beer just shines when consumed. Not too dry, nice malt backbone to support heavy dose of hops. I love how the ubiquitous but unloved Nugget hop is front and center.

Slightly cloying MF.

Overall: just a nice rounded out amber ale. This has been a solid hoppy seasonal for years and continues to impress.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look ? Ooooooo!!! Beautiful copper-orange!!! A lot of people don't like orange....anything... I do :) ("Official beer of Oompa Lumpas everywhere!" ??? :P ) . Luxurious off-white head, that persists for awhile, and leaves a good amount of lacing.

Aroma is ruby grapefruit, on the sweet end of the grapefruit spectrum, some sweet, honey-ish toasted malt , and some mango , as promised on the label.

Taste is pine, sweetish grapefruit, bitter-grapefruit pith, and some fruited-mead-like sweet/sour. It finishes with a rounded stab of pine/grapefruit bitterness , on the anterior quarter of the tongue, that lingers for a minute or so.

Feel is moderately oily/creamy, with some very fine carbonation tingle that mixes in, builds, and takes over on the finish.

Overall, very good. Nice balance between the fruity elements, the pine, and the sweetish malt. Smooth, and easy-drinking. The total is greater than the sum of the parts.

4.56/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Being that this is my favorite beer in the world, I was honestly a little disappointed this year. One of the best things about nugget nectar is the simplicity of its hop profile. Citrus introduction with a piney resinoid mid to a metallic finish has always been how I've known the beer...the epitome of an imperial red ale. It reminded me of a Six Point Sweet Action with a thicker mouthfeel and a bit of chew. Now I'm seeing imperial amber everywhere on the labels and what used to just be warrior and nugget hops has turned into warrior, nugget, tomahawk, simcoe and palisade hops. It muddies the transition of a cult classic and I wish Troegs didn't mess with a good thing. Regardless, it's still delicious, but it blends in with a lot of other IPA's now...

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2 cases of 24. 2013,14,15

Writing this review so late but remembering all of the different flavors, it is imperative to get this fresh. The first case I got of this was a first order 3 hours from the brewer. A rich blast of flavors progress into a hoppy finish that dissipates into a subtle aftertaste that leaves you craving that next swig.

Drinking this bottle now, almost a year after it's shipping., tastes like a ranky amber ale.

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Reminds me of Stone Pataskala Red, but with a little more balance. Great color and lacing on the pour. Nose is a malty citrus and the taste follows suit. Great mouth feel and pleasant carbonation. Very deserving of its world class rating.

3.22/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

My first time trying what apparently is a highly revered beer and I'm not into it. Looks okay...clear amber with a fluffy white head that lingers and leaves heavy lacing. Smell is unpleasant. Medicinal with some faint pine and citrus flavors. Taste is also unpleasant. Again, medicinal is the best way of describing it. The first couple sips were like biting into an aspirin, super bitter and metallic in taste (poured from a bottle, btw). About 1/4 through the glass (maybe after my taste buds adjusted) I finally started getting some piney, resinous hop flavor under all that sheer bitterness. It wasn't until about halfway through my glass (maybe after my taste buds were completely annihilated) that I finally started to get some faint hints of caramely malty sweetness. Feel is medium, somewhat creamy, and very dry on the finish. Amber ales are generally one of my favorite styles, but besides the color, I don't really see how this fits the style at all. I found it very unbalanced, very bitter, and lacking in a lot of the toasted biscuit flavors I like so much in this style. Some of the flavors were just bizarre and I'm not even sure if they were intentional. Not worth the hype, imo.

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2018 - review .
4 years drinking this brew. Times have changed.
Reading my review from 2015....... “oh my”.
But here is the 2018 version:

A-ppearance - clear copper filtered color still there.
S-mell - hop is there but malt more present this time, For 2018.
F-eel: STILL PRIVATE ! Mouthfeel was not private way back in 2015, for me, but now, It’s a “Thing”.........
T-aste: Still a “Home Run” Drinkable a 7.5 and 93ish IBU’s(I LIKE that LOL!)
The 7.5 is the “Drink a few and then the alcohol hit is you” thing.
O-verall: Been purchasing it since 2015.. Got Cans this year (and cans last year too!) Always good In My Humble Opinion.
Craft beer Enthusiast’s: Enjoy.

2017 -didn’t write a review. Didn’t have to, it still a great brew! Yes I got cans on this year.

2016 got another case. great beer. Thoroughly enjoying it again this year.

Happy 2015 .. This time I bought a case. IMHO it is still great!
Isn't buying a whole case make that pretty obvious ?
I do enjoy this beer.

A - nice clear copper color. ( if it was an unfiltered copper color I would be totally ok with that also)

S - definite hop aroma.
( i am not a -hop head- as in hop to the tenth power) so i appreciate the malt that is brought into the recipe. I poured the bottle into my Guinness glass.

T - taste IMHOpinion - home run... WOW right up there with dog fish head 90min IPA in my humble opinion. the hoppy taste is there , don't get me wrong, but I like how the malt gives it a great taste.

M - good body. not like arrogant bastard ( which is awesome also, the kind of beer that punches U in the face with flavor, - thats a good thing) this does not punch U in the face with flavor.. IT has it.. don't get me wrong but it has
good drinkability!
I can see drinking a few of these in a row no problem and then finding me under the table with my wife asking -- R U ok? and I would say something like --- ummm yeah... i'm happy.... how U doing ?...
and she would say something else that I probably won't remember...
maybe it has something to do with it being 7.5?

O - Overall - Ummmm overall... HMMMmmmm how about .. must get another 6 pack?!?!!
these guys a Troegs.. keep up the good work... dammit!!

must be the chocolate aroma floating around Hershey!

BYway - i still have 1 bottle left of the mad elf i'm holding in the fridge for myself.

ALSO of all places to find this beer.... A&P in Bergen county. go figure.
I hope the manger has another 6 pack hiding somewhere.

this concludes my review..
(also my first complete review since I joined this site)

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12oz Bottle poured into Boulevard tulip glass
I have tried this beer for years and get it every year but this is my first review of this golden little nugget of IPA love..ok ok.. it's a fucking Red Ale..but tell that to your taste buds..
L: This beer has a great deep amber glow. The moderate head dissipates to a death grip white lace head that stick to the glass.
S: Sweet caramel/bready malts with suuuuweeet ripe ruby red grapefruit. The ever present Alcohol esters tickle your nose as its sweet core hides the hop bitterness that lies just beneath the surface.
T: Awesome, in your face over ripe red grapefruit bitter hop bomb wrapped in a beautiful surgery caramel whose bitter pine cone resin tackles the taste buds once the beer has passed your gullet.
M: Perfect for this style. Full, chewy, perfectly carbonated.
O: This is my must buy every year when the Old Man Winter shits all over my BBQ by the pool fantasies. If you need a close cousin to this as a year round option I would point you to Stone's Double Bastard.

Buy this beer you cunt.. Don't think twice.. just do it.. and then write a review and make your friends buy it, and then tweet about it ,so we can have a ground swell that this becomes a year round option, and not only a Winter release.

4.07/5  rDev -6%

Thanks to hops1337 for sharing this with me. I've been a fan of Troegs for a long time and I miss their beers a lot since I've moved west.

The beer poured a clear, coppery-amber color, with a decent off-white head that had good retention and OK lacing. The aroma was mostly piney hops with a noticeably solid malt foundation. The flavor had that solid malt base to build upon and the hops do just that very well.

The body was solid, full and sticky in the good way. Drinkability was very good, I could have several of these with ease. I know the brewery calls this an Imperial Amber, but really this is a solidly built IPA that would be at home in any beer lovers fridge.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Copper-amber color with an off-white head and a decent amount of lace.

S: Lots of hops back up by sweet amber malt.

T: Lots of hops going on here as promised. A very unique taste, and I really, really wish that more breweries would get behind this and start up the Imperial Amber style.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation. Hoppiness throughout.

D: Much more drinkable than the typical IPA. There's something very smooth about this one and I look forward to having it fresh again next year.

Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company