Tröegs Nugget Nectar | Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Added by Edwin on 02-13-2004

Reviews: 2,523 | Ratings: 8,481
Reviews by irish:
4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

This beer really snuck up on me one time! The first time I drank it, I brought a growler and was sitting on the porch enjoying a pint or two, along with a nice cigar, in the summer night. When I stood up, everything went spinning, like taking ether for an operation (I am old enough to have experienced this.) Whassamatter?! It couldn't be the beer--I only had a pint or two. Well, I did a panic-y checklist--stroke? fever? LSD flashback?--but nothing seemed to answer. Eventually I did check on the alcohol content, and considered how many I had drunk (more than a pint or two, imagine that) and how easy it was to drink, and came to realize, damn!, that ol' "nectar" sure crept up on me!

I love this beer. But it is TOO easy to drink...

Pours a copper amber, with a lingering lace and appealing small bubbles.

The nose actually portends a robust alcohol base, if you pause to notice it (which I did not do initially...)

As for taste, it is one of those beers whose balance and easy drinkability can fool you into paying less attention than it deserves. This is my kind of beer--it doesn't knock you out by overpowering you with a distinctive taste that can with further sips become overbearing. No, it sucks you right in with its balance and its absence of any flaws. Except for the nose and a bit of fullness in the body, you could easily mistake this for a session beer. At least until the wife/SO starts to look curiously at you and your glass.

Regarding "drinkability" I don't know whether to reward or penalize the beer. Initially, I'd be inclined to give it high ratings. But if you are planning to drive or get laid, I'd do just the opposite.

Sláinte!

4.67/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From the new 16oz cans.
One of the best beers I've had. The smell is like sticking your nose in a bag or hops and the taste reflects the smell. Crystal clear orange beer.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Quite possibly the best IPA I've ever had. A serious bronze, copper, golden hue; mostly clear except a light haze; with a dense bleached white head. Difficult to want to drink--you just want to keep your nose in the glass; the aroma is that good! Serious grapefruit, grassy, and citrus characters in the aroma travels flawlessly into the flavor. Could be easily mistaken for grapefruit juice if not for a moderate, yet firm malt base. Citrus flavors with low level bitterness and bite-eyness because of the caramel barley sweetness. Smooth and silky to the mouth with a lightly alcoholic and hop drying sensation. The perfect summertime refresher and a treat for the senses at any occasion.

4.74/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As stated by a previous review buy this FRESH. This was the first beer that totally blew my mind when I was introduced about 5 years ago. A tropical explosion awaits to those who suffer through winter in anticipation. The malt backbone is a bit more pronounced than in years past but it doesn't detract.

On a side note, I wish my mom would have told me that Troegs hired her to be their new graphic artist.

4.46/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured a clear deep amber color with a fingers worth of foamy white head. The nose has some citrus notes with pine and some caramel. The flavor is well balanced. A perfect combination of the amber ale and IPA characteristics. The feel is medium with good carbonation. I've been waiting a long time to try this one and it may not be as big as some of the beers out there not but it gets everything it does right!

4.75/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a clear reddish brown color with a tight, off-white head that little bits of lacing.

Smells of citrus and herbal hops.

Tastes of the hops upfront layered over a great malt base. Hops lead off with notes of grapefruit and some pine. This gives way to caramel malts with notes of toffee and toasted bread. More hops come next as herbal and earthy notes appear. Finishes with some lingering hops.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, this is a great, hoppy red.

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Reminds me of Stone Pataskala Red, but with a little more balance. Great color and lacing on the pour. Nose is a malty citrus and the taste follows suit. Great mouth feel and pleasant carbonation. Very deserving of its world class rating.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

poured from 12oz can from this year's release
awesome amber color - deep red
smell i would say is mostly malt upfront with piney notes
taste is fantastic - crisp and soft, big blast of hops, really strong malt backbone and big bitterness at the end. a great, classic beer that packs a wallop but stays refreshing, balanced and nuanced. excellent

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic pint glass. Pours a clear copper color with a bubbly white head. Great fruity tropical smell right off the bat then yields to an interesting clover honey like smell. Taste is very similar to the smell, juicy and honey like. Call me crazy but its like a beer version of mead in a way. What the heck do I know, anyone really going to read my reviews? Probably not but my wife likes it so much that I will probably get a fresh squeeze a little later ;)

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Best By date says 4/17/17. No idea when it was canned. I'm really getting to dislike this Best By stuff. Put the damn bottling/canning date on your beers without all the other mysterious coding. Has a number 301, so could it be canned on the 301st day of 2016? Nose is hops, pine, malts, caramel, grapefruit pith. Pours a beautiful ruby gold with an off white head. Good carbonation. Taste is hoppy, piney, fruity. Some dank bitterness on the finish. This years offering was not as good as previous years. Didn't exhibit that juicy hop quality. At $14.99 a six pack, one is enough for me.

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Overall awesome amber ale. It has a slight hop smell of the bat, but a subtle hop taste and refreshing finish. The hops are not overpowering and it definitely has the dry feel to it. It leaves your tongue very fast and a smooth complexion gives it a delightful balance. Overall a mist have and awesome seasonal!!

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Copper-amber color with an off-white head and a decent amount of lace.

S: Lots of hops back up by sweet amber malt.

T: Lots of hops going on here as promised. A very unique taste, and I really, really wish that more breweries would get behind this and start up the Imperial Amber style.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation. Hoppiness throughout.

D: Much more drinkable than the typical IPA. There's something very smooth about this one and I look forward to having it fresh again next year.

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2 cases of 24. 2013,14,15

Writing this review so late but remembering all of the different flavors, it is imperative to get this fresh. The first case I got of this was a first order 3 hours from the brewer. A rich blast of flavors progress into a hoppy finish that dissipates into a subtle aftertaste that leaves you craving that next swig.

Drinking this bottle now, almost a year after it's shipping., tastes like a ranky amber ale.

4.48/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reminds me of some of my favorite Ambers from WI (Capital, Sprecher), but with an aggressive hop profile. For a West Coast Hop-head, I thought it was really well done.

3.98/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass:

Appearance: pours a copper-orange in color, with a completely translucent body. Nice, thick head on top, which leaves plenty of lacing while drinking.

Aroma: lots of pine, mixed in with some solid fruity notes as well. Pretty potent mango sweetness, with some bitter pineapple skin. Lots of pine.

Taste: the only issue I had here was that it finishes sooo sweet. The initial flavor is bitter piney-ness, followed up by some really nice mango. Some beers blast you with an array of fruitiness, but this one is totally focused on the mango. Finishes with some more bitterness, but also a ton of sweetness, which isn't my favorite flavor.

Feel: medium-bodied and pretty sticky on the finish. Crisp carbonation.

Overall: a very good brew. I didn't even know it was a "Red ale" until jotting down this review, although it really was more IPA than red anyway. In any case, I'd drink it again any day.

3.22/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

My first time trying what apparently is a highly revered beer and I'm not into it. Looks okay...clear amber with a fluffy white head that lingers and leaves heavy lacing. Smell is unpleasant. Medicinal with some faint pine and citrus flavors. Taste is also unpleasant. Again, medicinal is the best way of describing it. The first couple sips were like biting into an aspirin, super bitter and metallic in taste (poured from a bottle, btw). About 1/4 through the glass (maybe after my taste buds adjusted) I finally started getting some piney, resinous hop flavor under all that sheer bitterness. It wasn't until about halfway through my glass (maybe after my taste buds were completely annihilated) that I finally started to get some faint hints of caramely malty sweetness. Feel is medium, somewhat creamy, and very dry on the finish. Amber ales are generally one of my favorite styles, but besides the color, I don't really see how this fits the style at all. I found it very unbalanced, very bitter, and lacking in a lot of the toasted biscuit flavors I like so much in this style. Some of the flavors were just bizarre and I'm not even sure if they were intentional. Not worth the hype, imo.

4.19/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass at Bottoms Up in Jingan, Shanghai, China.

A: Amber/dark orange with a 2 finger off-white head that lasts over 2 minutes.

S: Fruity and citrusy. Sweetness of light honey, light yeasty bread

T: Balance. Sappy hops with bread underneath. Slightly yeasty with light bread notes.

Overall: Great drinkable beer, balanced with good hop and malt profile. Very drinkable!

4.68/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my favorite all time beers. I look forward to the release of this beer every year. The combination of hops makes this beer really work

4.02/5  rDev -6.9%

This imperial amber ale has 7.5% ABV and 95 IBUs.

Look-It pours a brilliant orange-blossom honey color with prominent copper hues. The head is frothy and khaki-colored.

Smell-It smells strongly of pine and citrus like orange, grapefruit, tangerine, mango, and papaya. The malt base comes through among the strong hop base.

Taste-It has a the pine resins come through first and then the sweetness from the malts which were a tad strong for me and then it finishes with some citrus and tropical fruits. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and rich and creamy. It isn’t too sweet that it ruins the beer, but I prefer a more mild sweetness.

Overall-It is a great beer.

4.48/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a brilliantly clear light amber color with a billowy head that sticks and laces nicely

Smell: Loads of grapefruit but there is more; floral and slightly herbal, too

Taste: The toffee malt jumps out but is quickly joined by the grapefruit, though the hops bring an herbal element, too; after the swallow, this is all about the bitterness, although there is some residual sweetness on the tongue at the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Tasted within two weeks of bottling, it doesn't get much better than this for hoppy beers

4.34/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to jmpizzo for sending me this one!

Bottled 2/20/12.

Pours a clear copper/amber with a 1 inch foamy tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks and dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of lots of citrus zest, herbal hops, and some tropical fruit aromas. Taste is super hoppy with citrus zest and tropical fruit flavors up front with a herbal hop quality on the finish. There is a pretty assertive bitterness on the palate after each sip. This beer has a light level of carbonation with a medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with a wonderful hop presence in the aroma and taste.

3.79/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle. Bottled on January 7th. A little over a week old.

Excited to have this fresh. Unfortunately this just does not live up to the hype. I have no idea why this one gets so much praise. Like Hopslam, this one probably stood out 5 years ago. Today, it just doesn't cut it.

4.56/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Being that this is my favorite beer in the world, I was honestly a little disappointed this year. One of the best things about nugget nectar is the simplicity of its hop profile. Citrus introduction with a piney resinoid mid to a metallic finish has always been how I've known the beer...the epitome of an imperial red ale. It reminded me of a Six Point Sweet Action with a thicker mouthfeel and a bit of chew. Now I'm seeing imperial amber everywhere on the labels and what used to just be warrior and nugget hops has turned into warrior, nugget, tomahawk, simcoe and palisade hops. It muddies the transition of a cult classic and I wish Troegs didn't mess with a good thing. Regardless, it's still delicious, but it blends in with a lot of other IPA's now...

4.02/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Nice IPA. Got a 6 pack. Nice color, not much lacing. Great taste, easy to drink. The beer is not super bitter. This IPA would work well with food. Troegs has a winner with Nugget Nectar.

4.07/5  rDev -5.8%

Thanks to hops1337 for sharing this with me. I've been a fan of Troegs for a long time and I miss their beers a lot since I've moved west.

The beer poured a clear, coppery-amber color, with a decent off-white head that had good retention and OK lacing. The aroma was mostly piney hops with a noticeably solid malt foundation. The flavor had that solid malt base to build upon and the hops do just that very well.

The body was solid, full and sticky in the good way. Drinkability was very good, I could have several of these with ease. I know the brewery calls this an Imperial Amber, but really this is a solidly built IPA that would be at home in any beer lovers fridge.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company