Nugget Nectar

Feb 13, 2004
SCORE
World-Class
Nugget NectarNugget Nectar
Notes: Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

Rated: 4.36 by Bhubbard34 from Pennsylvania

Wednesday at 02:37 AM

Rated: 4.17 by grru98

Aug 07, 2022
Reviewed by DrOfGolf from Delaware

4.41/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
Wow! Drank this one ice cold and right out of the can. When I opened it the beer was filled right up to the top and sort of just overflowed a bit. The smell was hops and hops and exactly what I like. The taste was definitely of a hoppy nature and the ABV just adds to the enjoyment. I will positively be looking for more when I can.
Aug 02, 2022

Rated: 4.5 by LAM01833 from Massachusetts

Aug 01, 2022

Rated: 4.02 by Dkloubec from Illinois

Jul 16, 2022
Reviewed by TBoneJones from Texas

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75
Finally had several of these sent from some NJ family so I can try this top-notch-hyped imperial red. I could never catch it available when visiting. Pours a deep and clear golden color with a modest head.
Nose is like sweet cakey/ candies malts and hops all together, makes me want to taste.
The flavor goes there, it’s so much flavor up front with sweet caramel and tasty hops, just a well-balanced impeccable red IPA. Resin/ earthiness is a defining characteristic, and it’s tasty. Tingly fresh hop bitterness lives in this beer. It ends superbly. Amazing balance.
Feels perfect. Smooth and smooth, then smooth. Slight stickiness, vanishes superbly and I’m ready for more.
I can see why this gets the love.
It’s like a Hop Wallop meets a red ale, masterfully and silky.
Apr 22, 2022
Reviewed by harrypowers from Massachusetts

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
Pours a nearly clear mahogany color with a small foamy white head and a moderate amount of lacing.

Smells of piney, grassy hops and malt.

Tastes of mildly bitter, peppery hops throughout with smaller tastes malt, caramel and pineapple.

Medium body with light carbonation. Smooth dry mouthfeel.

This beer is an enjoyable mash up of a Wee Heavy and a West Coast IPA. Scotch IPA?
Apr 17, 2022

Mar 06, 2022
Reviewed by milkshakebeersucks from Maryland

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
One of those beers I drink plenty of and then surprised that I haven't rated it yet. So anyway, an attractive appearance; clear copper, nice size head, good lacing. Aroma is equally appealing, earthy and herbal with subtle notes of citrus. Resinous quality on the palate along with the herbal influence. Finishes a bit spicy. Bitterness adds depth and balance. Best by date of 5/11/22
Mar 06, 2022
Reviewed by bankboy66 from New Jersey

3.69/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
Beautiful pour with one finger foam. Smell is pine and malt. The taste is very much on the edge of IPA…..almost too close. I don’t have much experience with this style but if you told me it was an IPA I wouldn’t bat an eye. Keep that in mind before you try …. This is hoppier than your average Red.
Mar 05, 2022
Reviewed by Whyteboar from Michigan

4.44/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
Poured a very pleasing amber color with active carbonation and a manila folder (Google it if you've never seen one) colored head that left plenty of lacing.
Aroma, even to my chemical damaged nose, was very nice. Obvious malts and hops play parts in the dance; I can't say I got the "pine, resin and mango" that the can states are prominent but it is very pleasant.
The taste, found it hard not to think of this as an IPA, it's just on that cusp. Likely the hoppiest red ale I've ever had, but that's not a bad thing at all; it's delicious!
The feel falters only in that it's way to drinkable for it's ABV. I could quaff this down by the liter if given the opportunity.
OA, Seriously good beer, all the way around. The denizens of Hershey, PA are fortunate to have this on tap.
Feb 24, 2022
Reviewed by beergoot from Colorado

4.29/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5
Clear and bright body, medium amber colored; excellent carbonation, fine bubbles and gently rising; huge, white head, sculpted and densely creamy. Strong scent of pine resin offset with gentle caramel notes. Outstanding taste, well-balanced and complex; light malt base with a moderate to bold hop bitterness; some peppery spiciness. Medium-heavy body; softly abrasive; light sweetness countered with a moderate overall dryness.

A most extraordinary ale, well-crafted and bursting with balance, flavor, and immensely pleasurable appearance.

Pouring temperature: 45 °F; canning data: FRESHEST BY 05/11/2022
Feb 21, 2022

Rated: 4.13 by crobinso from Colorado

Feb 19, 2022
Reviewed by Pineroom from New Jersey

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%
On tap in the pine room in a frosty pint glass. Perfectly balanced. Hoppy but not too. A hint of sweetness. Nice soft head.

Hard to stop pouring this beer and at 7.5 …. My current fav!
Feb 15, 2022
Reviewed by jackflaps from Pennsylvania

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5
Can into pint glass; freshest by 4/28/2022.

L: Orangey-copper, crystal clear, with a substantial head and good retention/lacing. I hate to drink it because it looks so nice.
S: Mostly hop bitterness, a few citrus notes.
T: Just nailed-on balance between the malt and hops, slightly resinous finish
F: Very smooth, a little sticky.
O: Worth the hype, the highlight of the Tröegs lineup for me. Almost by itself makes PA winter tolerable.
Feb 12, 2022
Reviewed by tcc from Pennsylvania

4.31/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
I suppose I'll contradict myself and say that I'm not overly enthusiastic about beers with ramped up ABV scores. Too often, I find that the pleasure of the mouthfeel is compromised when the main thing you taste is the octane. With that said, I'm always impressed by beers that are a little stronger but bring the complex flavor into the foreground. Seems like that's the kind of thing "craft" is all about. I do love the Tröegs company and their creativity and sensibility, but I don't love all their beers (which is no knock on them at all). But for my money, Nugget Nectar is some of their finest work. It's such a pleasurable beer to drink; flavorful with a kind of well-earned sweetness, beautiful balance of the different hop notes and malt, and a stunning color in the glass. Over the years, I've cycled through a number of Tröegs beers, giving many a try, but I'm finally prepared to say that this is my favorite of all I've tried. This is the one I wait for every year and buy whenever it comes to my beer store.
Feb 09, 2022

Rated by KT3418 from Colorado

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
The hop flavor is excellent I honestly thought this was an IPA. I really enjoyed this and would absolutely have again
Feb 06, 2022

Rated: 4.39 by adamstef

Feb 01, 2022
Reviewed by deleted_user_1237877

4.24/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
L: Copper brown very slightly hazy, good 2-3 finger head

S: Malt but balances with the hops, slightly sweet

T: I get some pretty good hops for an ale, malt, and slightly sour resiny taste

F: Medium-bodied, easy going down, clean finish, moderate mouthfeel

O: A very solid, delicious beer. If would have tasted this blind I would have called it an IPA and while I have not had a lot of red ales this one is excellent. Available only 1x per year around the holidays, lucky I live only about an hour away from the brewery. Troegs hit this one on the head.
Reviewed by Electricalhair from Pennsylvania

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%
Nugget Nectar is pretty much everything I want....sweet, malty, fruity, bitey, and hoppy. It is hands down, one of my favorite beers. Delish, every time. Troegs knows what's up.
Reviewed by HarlotBronte from District of Columbia

4.19/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4
L: Pours a clear copper with a 2 finger white head. Good retention.

S: Balanced with piney hops and sweet malt

T: Caramel malt, honey, piney hops, resin. Very balanced.

F: Medium bodied, easy to drink, clean finish

O: This is a solid beer. Not a style I’m super familiar with but no detectable faults.
Reviewed by Knoght5191 from Pennsylvania

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%
This beer is really good. Although I would not suggest it for those who just started craft beer drinking. It has nothing in it that would wow a non craft beer drinker. But It has everything a craft beer lover would love in a beer. However the appearance isn’t anything to write about. But I guess that’s ok.
Jan 30, 2022
Rated by bret27 from California

3.81/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
Can courtesy of
Jan 29, 2022
Reviewed by Spade from Pennsylvania

4.23/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
12 oz. can, freshest by 4/19/2022. Cream colored foam on a reddish copper body. The aroma is bit weak on this batch but what is there is indicative of the flavor, which is florid, hoppy, and mildly bitter. The red ale aspect is evident in the creamy feel of the body. A wonderful beer for these cold winter nights.
Jan 25, 2022
Reviewed by RonaldTheriot from Louisiana

4.75/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75
Nugget Nectar Ale has a thick, spongy, ivory head and a clear, bubbly orange appearance, with heavy lacing. The aroma is of dark bread crust and hop resins. It has a similar flavor, with building bitterness. Nugget Nectar Ale has a medium body and a dry finish.

RJT
Jan 23, 2022
Reviewed by JusHereFerBeer

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%
Really solid beer. Drinks enough like an IPA to please a hop head, smooth enough to please most pils lovers, and diverse in profile enough to please most sour seekers. I think it's just a really well-crafted beer. A lot of love was put into making this gem.
Jan 08, 2022

Reviewed by AElfwine_Nerevar from Connecticut

4.23/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
From a can with a BB of 05/12/21

L: Pours a medium amber with excellent clarity. An aggressive pour yields two fingers of fine, khaki head with good retention. As the beer recedes in the glass it leave a nice webbed lacing.

S: Very weak nose. I get a bit of caramel malt and a hint of C-hop character. The nose seems to be faded.

T: I get toffee, caramel, grapefruit, honey graham cracker, light herbal notes that transition into resinous pine, tangerine, a bit of citrus pith, and a light earthy spice character on the finish. A very nice bitterness complements the above flavors. Wow this one has an impressive palate!

F: Medium body with medium-light carbonation. The mouthfeel is a bit creamy, but also resinous on the finish. The finish has a minimal dryness, but just enough to bring your mouth back to the glass.

O: Why did I wait so long to try this? I will have to get a fresher can next time to see what is up.
Apr 11, 2021