Tröegs Nugget Nectar | Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Added by Edwin on 02-13-2004

Ratings: 8,558 |  Reviews: 2,551

1.08/5  rDev -75%

1.58/5  rDev -63.4%

Poured into my tulip almost undrinkable. Into my coffee cup a little better. Its early, but probably the worst beer I've has this year.

Pours clear amber, lackluster head, lace. Smells and tastes bitter hoppy onion, leaving a very unpleasant aftertaste. Love onions on my cheesesteak, not my beer. Where's the balance? Malts? Grapefruit or orange flavor?

Onion beer. The Shmaltz Lenny Bruce RIPA I loved this weekend would be a 10, this a generous 2. Lousy. What a waste of money. My bad. Learn from your mistakes.

1.81/5  rDev -58.1%

Nice clear, dark amber color. 1/2" head leaves quite a bit of lacing.

Hardly any aroma whatsoever. What's going on here? Maybe just a little alcohol scent.

Tastes malty with a very slight hop bitterness.

Thin, but still carbed.

I don't know what happened to this beer. It's basically non-existent. Very disappointed.

1.84/5  rDev -57.4%

Was very excited to pick this up and try. Initially tried two bottles, just finished the second one. Pours amber with a hint of red. Smells very nice when you really get a good whiff, but that's about it. Can't say how disappointed I was with this one. The first few sips left a sort of... gas-like, almost sulfur like after taste. Had to really force it down. I've had water problems before at my house, and our water tank had to be cleaned with chlorine to get the gasious sulfur like smell out of our water. The after taste of this beer reminded me of that smell. Terrible. I'm sure it is possible I simply got a bad batch but it really wasn't very good. Now I'm not sure what I'll do with the other four bottles.

2.1/5  rDev -51.4%

Poured from bottle into pint glass and served at 47 degrees.

Appearance was typical beer yellow with half inch head that lasted fairly long. Aroma was mostly citrus, especially grapefruit with piney notes. Flavor was pure hop bitterness with a touch of the grapefruit. Way too bitter! Mouthfeel was light to medium but balanced over the palate. Drinkability is low, it's just way too bitter, a real hop bomb. NOT recommended!

2.21/5  rDev -48.8%

Not a hop head. So not what I would normally drink.

2.24/5  rDev -48.1%

2.25/5  rDev -47.9%

2.25/5  rDev -47.9%

2.26/5  rDev -47.7%

Purchased the day it came out in NJ, poured into a Duvel tulip.

The appearance is a lovely clear amber, with a good head.

The aroma is straight grapefruit.

The taste is more grapefruit, mixed with grapefruit / citrus pith and rind. The aftertaste is mostly pith and rind. It's bitter, but not in the typical hops bitterness. It's bitter like you're chewing on grapefruit rind. The taste of grapefruit and pith overwhelmed whatever malt sweetness may have been present.

I love Troegs' Hopback, but this is not an imperial version of Hopback. Where as Hopback was a hoppy amber, featuring hops on top of sweet caramel malt, Nugget Nectar kicked the malt to the side, discarded the sweetness, and replaced it with grapefruit and pith, and is closest to a DIPA. I had a bottle last year, another this year, and someone shared a growler with me a couple weeks ago. Each time, the beer tasted exactly the same. It may be amber in color, but an Imperial Amber this beer is not.

If you like eating your grapefruit with the pith and rind still on, then this beer is for you. I'm not a big fan of grapefruit, hate eating the pith, and like my ambers to be malty.

2.32/5  rDev -46.3%

2.34/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2.36/5  rDev -45.4%

Poured from small-ish bottle (375?) into a snifter.

A: Very nice amber color, quite clear. Medium head.

S: Lots of malty / bready smell, along with heavy hops... And are those strawberries in there? Anyway, I have a feeling that this will be a very bitter and malty beer.

T: Not a hop bomb, but it's got quite a bit of bitterness and too much caramel flavor to balance it out. That bready strawberry flavor from the nose is in there, as well, but it's not great. Not my cup o' tea (or mug of beer). Unsophosticated and doesn't hide its alcohol well.

M: Heavy body. Not drinkable.

O: I'm going to take a couple more sips and then pour it out. Too much caramel and not interesting at all.

2.37/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Another over hyped beer. Tastes extremely bitter. Not much else

2.39/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.4/5  rDev -44.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass in two installments.

a: Poured a brownish red with a small amount of quickly disappearing head. Minimal lacing.

t: Not my favorite style. Very piney, almost sappy, with a slight mustiness.

d: I wasn't really enjoying it by the end of the glass.

2.42/5  rDev -44%

appearance; a beautiful, clear amber. Fine white head that retains throughout the drink. Sparce, yet quality lacing.

smell; upfront quite sweet but fizzles out to very herbal and spicy hops. Hops dominate but an exceptable balance is present.

taste; at first resiny hops, then an odd sweetness from the malts. Very spicy hops in the finish, mostly a bitter hoppy beer but not enough so to be an IPA, the balance is much better but still off.

mouthfeel; very froathy carbonation, with a medium body and slick finish.

drinkability; hop bitters are just annoying, one is enough. I was really let down by this beer. Unless one is a hophead, I suggest to avoid this brew.

2.5/5  rDev -42.1%