Tröegs Nugget Nectar | Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Added by Edwin on 02-13-2004

Reviews: 2,497 | Ratings: 8,401
4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

The beer poured a beautiful clear honey-gold with a creamy white head into a 12-oz pilsner glass. A sniff revealed a strong piney hop bouquet. The taste was big on hop flavor and bitterness, which seemed to coat my tongue and linger long after the last swallow. Serious hop content, but still some lingering malt sweetness coating the inside of my mouth. Good carbonation and lacing. An excellent beer.

4.31/5  rDev -0.5%

Okay, with all the recent chat about overhyped brews, I was slightly nervous trying the somewhat legendary Nugget Nectar. Well, it lives up to the hype to put it simply. Poured into a weizen glass.

A - Deep amber hue with a huge cloud of froth that floated on top the entire time. Laced quite beautifully. Presentation is impressive.

S - Hops. That is all.

T - Amazing hop blast, no abv apparent, nice relatively smooth malt backing, but it does in no way interfere with the hoppy goodness. Finishes slightly sweet, relieving the mild bitterness contained in the body.

M - Medium body, low carbonation, sticky consistency, yum.

D - Someone would have to pry this from my cold dead hands. I'll probably find more while I still can. Hop head's delight I believe. If you happen upon it, get it.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

The nectar pours an impressively clear orange-amber with a nice thick 2 finger bubbly white head. The head has pretty good retention and sticks around through almost half the glass. The head reminds you that it was there as it leaves thick ringed sticky lacing all over the glass. Here and there bubbles float to the top of the fluffy head for a couple minutes, and then there is no evidence of the carbonation.

The combination of the hops is all I can sniff in the nose. As it warms I get a brief balancing sweetness from the malts.

Hops, hops and more hops. There is a slight peppery taste of alcohol in the aftertaste, which is the only hint that this is a brew you shouldn't slam several of. And since it's quite tasty, and balanced so well; slamming several becomes a legitimate concern. Crisp, clean, powerful. Nice bitterness throughout the palate. The most amazing characteristic of this beer is that with all the bitterness from the hops, with all the power from the alcohol, there is an undercurrent of sugary sweetness throughout the beer that keeps everything balanced.

For all the hops, I was expecting the mouthfeel to be oily or greasy. Definitely not the case. I would describe it as explosive, slightly syrupy but not to the extent where it leaves the mouth coated. Syrupy as in thick and not at all watered down.

This is good stuff. Overhyped? You decide.

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Note: this is an edit.

Wow! I'm still weak at the knees it's so good on Cask... For a while this has been my holy grail of beer, and I found it at Johnny Brenda's on Cask. Pours deep amber, orange, without the sparkle that you would see on tap or from a bittle, but still completely appetizing! Creamy white head that leaves decent lacing and lasts all the way down the pint glass. Smells of hops, with some hops, and other hops, not to mention the floral and citrusy smells, too. Tastes of sweet hops, bitter hops, and some caramel/apricot, maybe some peach in there, too?-- amazing blend of the flavors. As I've said before about great hoppy beers "There's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited!" High drinkability in my book, the alcohol may sneak up, though.

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

2008 vintage.

FUCKING AWESOME!

Amber colored body with no head.Very clear.

Hoppy goodness is all I smell.

Hoppy upfront with bittering hops taking the back.

AWESOME and very worth it beer! I recommend everyone to go out and try this.Perect hop combination.

Once again I need to get a case of this stuff.

edit: this beer is in the bottle.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

Bought a sixer @ the katonah beverage barn, happy to find something new there, bottle's etching tells me this was bottled on 1-24-08. Pours auburn amber, clear, with a few bubbles continuing to rise. Medium tan tiny bubble head and leaving some blotchy lacing. Nose is all about the hops, leafy and herbal. Hoppy, dry and assertive brew. Resiny hops carry the load here. Bready malts to balance things out. tasty brew, glad to finally find it locally. Doubt it will be around for long. Seek out and enjoy.

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Enjoyed on cask at Union Jacks Inn on the Manatawny
Poured a cloudy amber/copper color with a big, creamy off-white head. Good retention and great lacing sticking to the glass with every sip. Hello hops! Lots of floral hops, citrus, and cut grass in the nose along with a nice hint of caramel. Tastes are big in citrus followed by grass and pine, all with a good sweet malt backbone. Medium in body with good carbonation, smooth and creamy, and a nice pine bite in the finish. Probably my favorite beer from the folks at Troegs, good in a bottle, great on tap, but on cask it goes on a whole different level. As rare as it may be to get this on cask, I'll do my best to get it as often as I can.

Pours a clear golden amber color with a decent cream colored head that left a small wall of lacing on the glass. The smell is a blast of floral and piney hops, very nice. The taste is of floral and piney hops, some resin bitterness, a decent malt presence that balances out the brew. The feel is light but not watery, average carbonation, finishes bitter but fairly balanced. A nice hop brew that smell great out of the bottle. The finish is rather balanced which makes this brew quite drinkable.

4.95/5  rDev +14.3%

I've been waiting a long year for this to return. Always a late winter favorite of mine.

Pours a beautiful crystal clear orange/copper color with a 2 finger off white head. Head subsides slowly leaving nice lacing on the glass.

Smell that hoppy goodness!! Citrus hoppiness dominates the nose with a hint of spice, Cinnamon? Subtle sweetness lets you know the malt character is there. Someone needs to bottle this smell as an air freshener.

The balance of this brew is remarkable. Hop bitterness hits the tongue first and threatens to overpower everything else, but just as you think that huge citrus flavors take over. Tastes of orange juice, lemonade, and grapefruit juice mixed to perfection. The sweetness of the malt really brings out the citrus flavors. Ends dry with a nice spicyness.

Overall, this is just as advertised, a Hopheads Nirvana. Another great offering from the Troegner brothers. I enjoy this more and more with every year. Cheers!!

3.95/5  rDev -8.8%

1/8/2008

A: I wish you could see this...my mouth is watering. Poured into a Unibroue tulip, orange/amber color with perfect 2 finger off-white head. Head slowly recessing leaving some heavy lacing on the glass.

S: Initial smell of sweet grass and oooops...sucked a little foam up the nose there...um...yea and some spice with light tones of caramel.

T: Very balanced beer here. Initial bitterness across the tongue with the always apparent bitter grapefruit and citrus including lemon and orange zest. As it warms every sip brings a little something different.

M: Mild carbonation and somewhat oily. Not heavy at all, flows across the tongue into the abyss.

D: I give it a 10! Not something I would get old of drinking. Not too bitter, the malts come in at the end but not too sweet. Great beer to umm...session with...if well...you want to be hurting in the am.

4.55/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Huge surprise to score a sixtel at Frank A. Smith's in Pottstown...

Appearance is a beautiful burnt orange color with slightly off-white, two finger head, and tight/tiny bubbles. Light lacing throughout.

Smell is fabulous - like I'm in a hop forest, with an added hint of both orange and sweet cinnamon spice.

Taste is of fresh, fresh, fresh, juicy/piney hops which simply envelop the mouth, followed by a slight caramel malt backbone.

Mouthfeel is actually quite creamy/oily, which is SO nicely balanced with the intense flavor that I simply want to chug this beer.

If you couldn't tell by now, this is an extremely drinkable beer - IF you enjoy fresh hops and smooth beer mouthfeel. Warning: having this on tap at home is dangerous!

4.24/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Pretty traditional golden amber color. Huge white head with tons of little bubbles that stayed for a couple of minutes. Not too much of a lacing left on the glass.

S: Hops, hops, hops, hops and did I mention the hops. Tangerine, orange rind, and a hint of vanilla.

T: Actually very balanced. The hops aren't as over bearing as I thought they would/should have been (maybe a little too balanced). Malty. And the slightest hint of vanilla.

M: Pretty good. Nothing exrtroidinary and nothing unappealing either.

D: This isn't the hoppy beer I was hoping for, but it still isn't a bad brew at all. Another solid outing by troegs!

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%

12oz picked up in a recent trade with a very generous DIM ... shared with my brother after a very long Super Tuesday work day... we need a good beer... I think we picked the right one.

Short lasting 3/4" head atop a fairly clear orange/amber brew.

Aroma is all grapefruity hops... literally smells like grapefruit rind... Steven says their is a hint of flowers... subtle toasted malts in the background.

Big bitterness .... balances the adequate malts .... flows like a river into big citrus mid palate... finish is fairly floral... huge oily complex hop profile but some how remains in that perfectly balanced realm... body is smooth/silky lite/medium with persistant small bubble carbonation... I would have sworn this was brewed in the PNW.

This beer just tastes sooo fresh and sooo good.... It was bottled on 1/7/8.. I've had this beer on a number of occasions, but never anywhere this fresh... If I had access to it, it would certainly be a goto beer for me and a very likely fridge staple.... Huge props to Dan... If I ever make it back home to PA, we must have brews.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to franksnbeans for the trade.

The nectar pours a nice clear amber/red color. the head is the most impressive part of the appearance. The nose is of hops, mad hops with a bit of spice. The taste makes me shocked to see that this is classified as an amber, or imperial amber as troegs calls it. To me this beer is most defenitely an IPA. Granted, imperial ambers can be somewhat hoppy, it is way too similar to an IPA. Hops dominate right up front with a strong presence. some spice through the middle but mostly just a bunch of hopalicious hoppiness with a nice bitter finish, but not too astringent. Certainly a great beer, but I dont know why this isnt just called an IPA. Mouthfeel is that of an IPA. Drinkability is quite high, as the hop flavors are very thick, but the finish is not too terribly bitter. Certainly a great beer. One of the best hoppy beers from the east I have had though for sure.

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

I recently attended a beer tasting at the Headkeeper in Greensburg and Troegs Brewing Co. was there handing out samples of their entire production line. The Nugget Nectar was my favorite, next to The Mad Elf, so I figured I'd buy a case of my own.

The beer poured into my trusty crystal snifter with about a quarter inch of white foam which quickly dissipated. Lacing along the inside of the glass was minimal, and the color was medium amber. The nose was sharp with hops and grapefruit-like citrus aroma. I consulted the Troegs webpage and learned that Nugget Nectar starts off with the beginnings of the HopBack Amber Ale and then they jack it up with three different types of hops. I love the idea of taking a flagship brew and then modifying it to end up with a new beer with an entirely different depth and flavor.

It's almost a shame that this is a seasonal beer and only available in February. The date on the top of the box said "BEST ENJOYED BY 06/06/08" so I don't see it being a good candidate for cellaring, but with an ABV of 7.5% you never know. I doubt though the rest of this case will last beyond next week, so I guess it's a moot point. I will definitely be marking my calendar next year in anticipation for this awesome release from Troegs.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Bright and perfectly clear copper with an inch and a half of off-white foam.

Smell - Clean and fresh. Beautifully balanced between semi-dry malts and big floral hops.

Taste and mouthfeel - Lightly toasted caramelly malts; grapefruit and a touch of resin from the hops with a slight mineral quality in the background. Pleasantly bitter in the finish, with a pleasant aftertaste of caramel and grapefruit. Light on the tongue and very crisp.

Notes - Very impressive; quite possibly the best example of a red ale I've ever had. Many thanks to london1o1 for an awesome extra.

First thought - this is an amazing beer, and the best offering from Troegs that I've ever sampled... the appearance was absolutely outstanding... a clear, lucid, amber, copper-colored hue with a gigantic frothy and foamy head that had some serious staying power... Copped a single 12 oz bottle for $2.99 from Oak Tree in South Plainfield... Smell was above-and-beyond, so rich, so thick, so strong, that I fell in love with this beer just on the strength of its smell... the taste was an equally "perfect five"... perhaps the ultimate and best depiction of the style that I have ever come across... this beer certainly lives up to all its hype... one of the best representations of the style for sure... mouthfeel was rich, creamy, and thick... taste was slightly bitter but not at all overwhelming, with a tart bitterness dominated by a slight ginger, subtle vanilla, and pine flavors bursting through... taste is very clear, satisfying, and dominant... an excellent brew with a good drinkability and a not-over-the-top ABV of 7.5%... Definitely recommended...

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

(from notes)
Had at the Drafting Room in Exton, PA
12oz bottle poured into a glass

Pours a crystal clear orange amber with a good sized white head. Light sticky lacing finds its way down the glass.

Huge hop smell. Ruby red grapefruits, tangerines, spruce, and a slight sweet toasted malt backbone. A very heavy hop oil/resin smell.

A big punch of hops right off the bat. Very bright and bold. Tastes of grapefruit and pine needles and a chewy caramel malt backbone. It's surprisingly not bitter with all that hopping going on.

Medium bodied and creamy.

The alcohol is nowhere to be found, but I know it's there, it's 7.5%.

An absolutely fantastic beer, about as good as it gets.

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

Good appearance. White head, orange color good size lacing. Smell is hoppy, especially Simcoe (I would have never known this until I swilled some Double Simcoe IPA this week).

Taste is great. Floral hops, nicely balanced between bitteness and maltiness. Mouthfeel is light and crisp but not watery. Drinkability is great. 7.5 abv is a bit high for a session beer, but this one would be a great candidate for someones regular beer. Really enjoyable.

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

This gorgeous looking Imperial Amber Ale pours a crystal clear ruby/copper with some rusty golden highlights and a small amount of rising carbonation. The frothy, off-white head holds decently well and leaves some nice spotty lace around the glass.

Wow, this is about as hoppy as and Amber Ale gets. The name is certainly fitting. Very resinous and piney aroma with tons of citrus hop character. A smooth, sweet caramel malt backbone preps the palate for the insanely smooth and hoppy flavor to come. Bright, bitter and immensely appetizing.

One of the greatest combinations of massive flavor and smooth drinkability there is. The hops smack you in the face immediately; bold, piney, bitter, and citric: orange, grapefruit, floral notes. The caramel malt provides an amazingly smooth, semi-sweet flavor but still manages to suppress itself just enough to allow the hops to shine. There's a definite sweet, almost candy-like/bready character as well. It's so difficult to find a brew that matches this amount of intense hoppiness with a balancing counterpoint, but Nugget Nectar does it.

Bright and crisp initially with a mellow smoothness later on. In fact it's curiously smooth... kind of like Altoids in that sense I suppose. The finish is juicy and slick with a lasting smooth hoppiness. There actually may be a bit of mild dryness in there but the finish is so crazy smooth that it's difficult to detect.

I'm fairly sure there is no beer on the planet that matches the Nugget Nectar's drinkabilty and flavor combo. The smooth, palatable nature comes in such a well balanced package that I feel like I could walk around for the rest of my life with a bottle of this stuff in my hand and never get sick of it. I often hear people comparing this beer to some big hoppy IPA, but what many people fail to realize is that this is an Amber! I may be coming across as a bit dramatic but I urge you to get your hands on some of this stuff and be the judge yourself. If you're left disappointed i think you may need to get your head examined.

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

So four days from now, Tröegs is making its introduction to New York City. But I am in Pittsburgh right now, and D's had it on bottles. So, why wait. Right? I mean, four days is 5,760 minutes away. Entirely too long to wait for a beer I have wanted to try for some time now.

Pours a clear amber with a decent off white head that falls fairly quickly, but leaves nice lacing on the way down. Nose is extremely sticky syrupy sweet. Cranberry tones and firm floral tones are noticed. Flavor is very piney. This really hits firmly in your mouth, but it doesn't do so wildly. There is purpose in the chaos. Beyond the pine character, there are citrus tones backing it up. Feel is a bit thicker on the liquid and fairly full on the carbonation. Very nice. Easy to drink, even though it is thoroughly thick in hops tones.

4.33/5  rDev 0%

12oz Bottle

I was lucky to get a six pack of Nugget Nectar sent my way thanks to Kempleton. Nugget Nectar has a crystal clear polished copper body. Moderate streams of carbonation rise to the surface supporting the pillowy head. A one finger creamy white head appeared on the pour and stuck around for the remainder. This is without a doubt a good looking beer.

When I stick my nose in the glass Nugget Nectar makes my mouth water. There's a fair amount of toasted malt in the background but more importantly there's a boatload of hoppiness jumping out at me. The hops are mostly citric but there's some resinous hoppiness sprinkled throughout. The nose is alive with orange and apricot. There's a great candy-like sweetness.

The flavor follows in stride. The big sweet juicy fruitiness runs from beginning to end. There's enough malt in there to keep the hops from running away but it's holding on for dear life. Although there isn't a huge amount of bitterness the tongue certainly feels the hop load. This is very nicely done.

The body is spot on for the style. The body is medium with a moderate carbonation that creates a soft creaminess.

This is a very citric flavorful beer and an easy drinker without a doubt. The alcohol is no where to be found but at 7.5%, to use a too commonly used term, this is dangerously drinkable.

Nugget Nectar is one of those beers that are right up my alley. Big citric hoppiness with the tongue numbing element I love so much. It's too bad this isn't available in my area.

4.19/5  rDev -3.2%

*Thanks to HopHeed2113 on the beer trade*

Bottle poured into glass. Pours a copper-orange, can see through it with decent carbonation. Smallish head with heavy lacing.

Nose is blasted with a jolly rancher inspired, tangerine-grapefruit hopiness. Not much malt to be had with this one, piney notes also present. Did my 5 year old swap a Capri Sun out for a beer?

Palate smoothered with sweet hop goodness that is a cross between pineapple and mango. Toasty malt peaks through as well offering a nice balance. Crispy on the tounge, creamy notes that end with a moderate dryness.

A very nice beer, almost like a DIPA Light - I hope to see this on the shelves in Columbus some day. Alcohol well hidden and would recommend to anyone; will be seeking out more trades for this.

got a case locally from a distributor 2 weeks after the release of the beer in 2008. about as fresh as you'll ever get a beer without waiting for the first case from the brewery itself...

A - this beer is listed as an imperial amber and man do you get what you pay for... the color of this pour is about as true to the name as you can get. this is the prettiest red i may have ever laid eyes on... wonderful head the slowly dissipates leaving a great lace on the glass

S - since i got this as fresh as i did, you might as well have peeled a grapefruit and cracked a few pine needles to compete with this aroma. the floral aromatica smack you right away but dissipate perfectly as soon as you exhale

T - Ahhh the money shot. perfect balance of hops in the front, with a citrus rhine middle and as smooth as you can imagine in the finish. this beer is hoppy, not bitter... please understand the distinction

M - The carbonation tingles and adds the the flavor, the goldilocks theory, not too much and not too little. almost too drinkable for the ABV and the hop content

D - the fact that i am 5 deep writing this should tell you what you need to know... a perfect session beer or pregame beer... you can't beat it for the money such a shame it is a seasonal

bottom line - perfection!!!!

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Enjoyed on tap at Bube's Brewery.
Served as a deep amber colored beer with nice off-white head.
Smell is dominated by strong grassy and piney hops.
Taste also shows a strong hop presence with enough malt to perform an excellent balancing act.
Way too easy to drink considering the alcohol content.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company