Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tröegs Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Added by Edwin on 02-13-2004

Reviews: 2,497 | Ratings: 8,394
4.41/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Hazy golden orange with dense white head and layers of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

S: Fresh tangerine and grapefruit dominate. It is like smelling fresh cut citrus.

T: Fresh grapefruit and tangerine with a malt backbone that makes it very well balanced.

M: Smooth and creamy with a crisp finish.

D: This a very drinkable beer especially for its ABV. This is something that i could drink all day long. It is nice and refreshing.

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

So this is amber? Pours more like a IPA with hazy straw colored body with only a hint of amber tone. Head is half a finger of off white skim. Nose is bursting with lots of woodsy, citrus base hops. Still more like an IPA. Very crisp and clean as it hits the tongue. Middle of the palate shows strong hop presence but even and not overpowering. A noticeable and welcome nuttie mineral feel developes tword the end of the palate. Mouthfeel is a well balanced mix of hops and rugged minerals. A great summer beer, easy to drink. Very out of catagory for the style, though good.

4.27/5  rDev -1.4%

Graciously provided to me by MuenchenerKindl

Warrier, Nugget, and Tomahawk hops, "93ish" IBU's

Pours a slightly hazy apricot color with a white head of fine and tight bubbles that sinks quickly, leaving no lace.

Inviting aroma of floral hops, ripe fruit, and butterscotch.

Initial flavor is understated and subtle, but very tasty and complex. Not a wallop to the tongue. Biscuity malt, floral hops punctuated with citric bitter, toffee and butterscotch, cinnamon, ripe pear, and hints of bubblegum.

Mouthfeel is rich and full, creamy and satisfying. Could sip this all night, but damn, it's almost gone. Thanks MK.

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

A- Pours a golden amber hue, completely clear with some carbonation visible. Small, white, fizzy head.

S- Smells like a typical red except hoppier. Very strong malt presence with piney in your face hops.

T- I usually don't dig red ales but this one really grows on you. The malt is what dissuades me but the sheer hoppiness of this brew completely overpowers it in a good way. Definitely could be called Imperial red ale. Sweet bread character comes out a bit as it warms.

M- High amount of carbonation and about medium viscosity.

D- This is definitely a hop bomb but it does it in a way that makes you love it. I don't find myself wanting another one right away but it was certainly delicious while it lasted.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

12 ounce bottle acquired in a trade with MuenchenerKindl, thanks for giving me the opportunity to try this beer

2006 vintage

Poured into my Flying Dog imperial pint glass with a golden red color, surprising how light the color was, the head was little over an inch and was white with foam that did not budge for two or three minutes

Smell was nice with different types of citrus, some grassy scents,

Taste was good as well, lots of hoppiness, both piney and fruity, there was grapefruit, lemon, oranges, and tangerines, to go along with a dry hoppy finish that left a charcoal taste on the tongue, nice balance of sweet malt to go long with the complex hop profile, several different hops were used in this one most likely, as it warmed the citrusy hops came out more and I actually preferred them to when the beer was colder, this tasted more like an IPA when it is all said and done rather than a red ale, its color and appearance made me think this as well, great balanced taste overall that offered strong hoppy flavor and nice long tasty finish

Lots of carbonation in this one still, above average body, and the taste lasted a pretty long time

Could drink a six pack of this probably, definitely wanted more after one bottle, light and easy to drink, alcohol content is fairly high though, it is hidden very well

Nugget Nectar is one of the best ambers I have ever had, I particularly like the fruity hops in it, I highly recommend this winter seasonal to anybody that get their hands on it

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

I believe this is last years release. Still one awesome brew. The hops are fading slightly but they are still very dominant. I would love to have a fresh bottle of this but I am very happy none the less thanks to BillyB for the bottle. The only thing I found disappointing was the look. I gave it a fairly sturdy pour and got a medium sized head that turned soap like rather quickly and there was little lacing to be found. The color on the other hand is a nice lightly hazy golden orange.

The nose is still kicking. Notes of sweet caramel malt, pine, a bit of citrus, a blend of fruits, pepper and just a bit of fading hops.

The palate is very well put together. Lots of chewy malts, caramel, pine, citrus and some spices. I will be seeking this one out next time I'm in the U.S.

4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

Vintage 2006, Aged 8 months.

A: Translucent, glowing orange sunburst hue that's rather hazy, topped by about a finger of white head that takes its time sticking around, as well as sticking to the sides of the glass.

S: Mellow herbal and somewhat grassy hop aroma, some spiciness evident. There's also a sweetness that accompanies the hop presence, though it's subtle and underneath.

T: Reflects the nose quite well. A pale malt introduction provides the basis for the varied hop profile, that is mostly grassy and spicy, but subdued. There is a brief hint of sweetness that waxes and wanes during the middle, washing into a slightly dry finish where the hop residue fades perfectly.

M: Carbonation is at an optimal level, giving some body and creaminess to the beer's texture on the palate. Slight bit of hop oil on the tongue, but not an overwhelming amount at all.

D: While being drinkable as all hell, this beer is not quite as good as I recall it being. I've had it fresh, and aged for a year or just over, but not really anywhere in between. Still, a great offering from Troegs, I just may need to wait a while longer before cracking the others open.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Received this brew in a trade with tpd975. That man continues to hook my ass up. Says it’s a hophead nirvana with a trifecta of Nugget, Warrior, and Tomahawk hops sitting at 93 IBU’s. Nice! Drank from my Rogue Kells Irish Lager pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a light pinkish orange with a bit of chill haze. Very nice one finger off white head that recedes very very slowly. Once it does disappear, it leaves a fantastic cap and collar that manages to leave some random, chucky lacing.
Smell- Lots of huge citrus jumps out of the glass leaning toward fresh juicy grapefruit and lightly peachy. Also hints of bubblegum show along with a very soft toffee underbelly. Very fresh, very clean, very inviting.
Taste- Whoa! Not what I was expecting. The big citrus of the hops really shows from the start with a light grapefruit/lemon zest kick. A bit of an almost spicy pepper kick is present as well. Strange but very enjoyable. The best and most surprising part of this beer is the great malt bill that holds it’s own against the hops. Lightly toasty with a great caramel/bubblegum/cotton candy like sweetness that I really enjoy. Finishes with a lingering bitterness and zero interference from the alcohol.
Mouthfeel- Slick and oily with a nice full body and medium carbonation that is very prickly on the tongue.
Drinkability- This is the best imperial non-stout beer I’ve had in a long time (with exception of Gumballhead, I know, not a stout or Imperial but it was freaking awesome). It’s got the hop pop to grab your attention and the malt balance to make you yearn for more. I need to figure out a way to get a sixer of this stuff in a trade for my drinking enjoyment. Big thanks to tpd975 for hooking me up with this beauty!

3.32/5  rDev -23.3%

Acquired in a trade from limesmut.

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Beer is an amber color with a little bit of a head & some lacing. To be honest, I don't understand what the big deal is with this beer. I had some high expectations, and was somewhat disappointed. The flavor was rather earthy, but nothing really jumped out at me. I passed the glass around to see if I was crazy, but everyone had the same opinion that I did... Hopefully it was just a bad bottle. If not, this beer was average at best.

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Sought out, sampled, and reviewed at GABF this year after seeing the high ratings here. Glad I did.

Pours medium amber in color, good clarity, with medium head and retention. Strong hops in the nose with some malt in the background. Hops seem almost noble in character, spicy with little citrusy elements like usually found with west coast varieties. Flavor offers a delicious interplay between malt and hop - beautifully balanced. Also has a delicate fruitiness with some caramel and and light toasty notes underlying it all.

Surprised to read it is 7.5% alcohol - I didn't pick that up in flavor or aroma. A dangerously drinkable beer for that strength, and one I would certainly seek out again.

3.95/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours out a decent coppery hue. Frothy off-white head that leaves residual lacing.

Decent cluster of grassy, herbal hops on the nose, very faint caramel malt in the background.

Sweet chewy malt in the flavour, nicely rounded out by the hops, which really only kick in towards the latter part of the finish. The sweetness of the malt still carries on throughout into the aftertaste.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel, even light in areas, but smooth and velvety all the same, it works.

Not overtly bold, but a decent amber ale, if only most of them were wired this way. Enough there in all areas to let you know where you've been and what you've done. Many thanks to Viggo for including this in my CanBIF 3 package, it's a good'er!

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to franksnbeans for the trade.

Pours a nice, clear golden color with a finger of off-white foam. Smell is similar to an ipa but not as assertive as the best ones. Pine and citrus as well as orange and a slight grapefruit aroma with a nice touch of sweetness from the malt. The taste is more malt and more in liking with an amber ale but what distinguishes this beer is the nice hoppy aroma. Toasty and biscuit malt flavors combine nicely with the hops as the beer starts to warm a bit. I believe I sense a little bitterness but my prior drink (DIPA) might be numbing my tongue a bit. Surprised to find out that this is a 7.5% beer, almost seems like it could be a session beer. A really nice amber to try, one of the best, if not the best I have had so far (that's not an imperial red that is).

*updated review. Thanks to ncvbc for sending me a fresh bottle of this fine beer. Bottled 1/11/08*

Pours an amber color with a thick inch an a half of foam. (4)

Pine aromas with lots of toast and caramel. Citrus hops follow closely; some grapefruit and orange. Very well balanced in the aroma, the pine and citrus hops blend very well with the toasty and caramel malt. (4)

Taste is well balanced for the most part, medium bitterness with pine and toast. Flavors are mostly toast, toffee, caramel, pine and citrus peel. There's also the slightest metallic flavor in the aftertaste. (4)

Mouthfeel is just a tad thin but easy to drink. (4)

Drinkability is good. (4)

It's a very good imperial amber, I just think I'm a slightly harsher critic these days.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured a 12 oz. to one of my Widmer pint glasses, one of two bottles received from todd1. Consumed in June 2007, review is from notes rediscovered during a little housecleaning... "93ish IBU...Nugget, Warrior, Tomahawk hops..."

A: One-finger of dense ivory foam caps a lightly hazy amber orange, tinged with ruby. Despite millions of tiny bubbles in the clustered & sudsy head when settling, just a scattering of rising carbonation shows through the glass. Very pretty bands of sticking lace.

S: Bold, juicy citrus hops - full of oranges and a sweet-smelling caramel malt sugariness. Even hints of candy and bubblegum in the sweetness. Superbly balanced malt/sweet, dancing to and fro between each. A little more stamina and this could have been a '5' for me.

T: Big, fresh-squeezed orange and grapefruit - pulp, pith and all. Some oily, resinous pine clings on the back of the tongue. Caramel and maltiness some repressed to me, creating some imbalance. Bitter finish, but with traces of lasting sugars.

M: Lightly carbonated and smooth. Some warming clings on the tongue and cheeks, thickening with each sip. Mouthfeel is medium.

D: A good, robust amber - full of wonderful aroma, one of the best I've enjoyed. Worthy of the accolades, I liked it and would have it again.

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a bronze color with active, bubbling carbonation. A white head is first over an inch thick, then dies to a slim white head with bubbles, and lacing all along the side of the pint glass. Smell is floral hops surrounded by orange. Taste is hoppy followed by a slight metallic taste. I can also taste honey. Half of my sips were reminiscent of an Amber and the other half were of a mild IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

from maltygoodness and the Summer Sipper BIF

a - poured a three-fingers thick light tan and billowy head into a tumbler. it left thick, sticky sides and great sheeting throughout. the body is a golden amber color.
s - wow! it smells sticky. very sweet and citrusy.
t - earthy, bready, malty, citrusy and hoppy. i'm already disappointed i only have one of these.
m - so creamy and smooth on the front of the tongue with a nice hop kick on the back.
d - this beer is so well-balanced. i am incredibly impressed and this has rocketed right to the top of my must haves in my fridge from now on.

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Immediately after pouring this beer, the aroma of the hops hit me. Well balanced with hints of citrus and pine. Pours a nice creamy head with very good lacing. The taste is very well balanced with a great job of hiding the alcohol. I love the combination of hops they used. Full-flavored but not overpowering. Just awesome.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours amber orange with a finger of head that dies down pretty quick. Nice lacing and looks like a delicious amber/red ale.
Smells of citrus, malt, pine, rind and HOPS. Wow, this is an amber/red right? Nothing pleases me more than to smell intense hops, regardless of the style. I have been instantly seduced. First taste is beautiful. The smell was not decieving, hops are there front and center but followed by the citrus and a sweet finish balancing it all perfectly. Tons of flavors, not just a hop bomb, but I do love these hops. Zero alcohol present. This is a delicious beverage. Finishes a little dry and bitter but its balaced out extremely nice. A 6 pack of this is trouble and would be a delight, a 12 would be my demise though I would not rule it out with the right circumstances. Overall an absolute must try.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Got this baby in a trade. I did so many in such a short time I forget who this came from. Nonetheless....Thank You I have wanted to try it for sometime, and it did not disappoint.

A: Nice light copper color with a rocky 2 two finger head at the pour. There is nice and thick curtain of lacing left behind along with an oily residue.

S: Yes this is nectar all right. A most wonderful hop aroma here. Grapefruit, Orange Juice, Star Fruit, and Pine. It also has an almost buttery sweetness about it. Man I can't wait to drink it.

T: Holy Mackerel! Love It, Love It, Love It. An Absolutely Wonderful beer. The hops are front and center right from the start. My senses are overloaded. The citrus taste of the hops overcomes me. The aroma from the glass as I am taking the first sip rushes through my nose. It is just a wonderful drinking experience. The malt balances it out nicely. The taste don't linger it finishes kind of crisp and dry. Pure Hop Juice baby. The essence may have been squeezed directly from the hop plant.

M: I mentioned the crisp and dry... It's medium in body and goes down smooth.

D: Yes! I could drink this one by the growler or bomber all day long, though I have the feeling it would catch up to me in no time flat.

Overall: This is one of those brews that would be a favorite if I had access to it. Everything about it is great. Troegs have put together the whole package in this one. The bottle calls it a Hopheads Nirvana. Well I am a hophead and I have to agree. I can’t wait to try some of their other beers, because they know how to brew.

I will have to score some more of this beer. It's so easy drinking. They call it Nugget Nectar, but Nectar of the Gods would be more fitting.

EXCELLENT!

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

Bottle courtesy of Sammy: Poured a deep amber/orangey color ale with nice foamy head with some good retention and light lacing. Aroma of bitter hops is well balance with some malt. Taste is a good enough mix between some semi-sweet malt and some citrus and bitter hops. Full body with some medium carbonation. Overall, while I thought this was interesting beer, I still think it lack some hops to make this as hoppy as they claim it is.

only serious hop heads need drink this beer. the aroma alone will dropkick your senses. by far the hoppiest beer ive ever had. they say the IBUS are "93ish". then the high alcohol content will help keep your chest warm and your mood bright.

4.39/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 12oz bottle in a Shaker pint

I enjoy a good red/amber (boy, there is a conversation to walk in on) so I was excited to get the chance to try this.

Poured strong, thick, smooth n' quiet. Wow...guess they weren't kidding about the hops! Without question the hoppiest nose on any Amber/Red Ale I've ever encountered. Blindfolded I would guess IPA, and a good one at that. Great citrused hops, full of grapefruit, a little pineapple, even some pine sap. It has a sweet quality to it, perhaps the grapefruit, also some syrupy qualities, perhaps some treacle or light caramel. Some straw qualities come thru as it blooms. Head was a 1/8" inch of loose pale lemon ivory foam that faded very quickly to a thin sheen of a floater and edge ring that laced in very isolated splotches. The color of golden honey, its thick, slightly hazy, isolated bubbles rise very slowly thru it.

Mmm...this is a Amber/Red? Damn! Beautifully hopped, lightly bitter, resonating with pine & grapefruit. Crisply dry, the dryness offsets the thick, sweet syrupy twang & mouthfeel very nicely as well as adds some tooth to the already sharp hops. Smooth up front, very balanced. Malts are sweet with caramel, yet dry & even a bit rocky with a straw like aspect. I've never tasted a Amber (sigh, not like that) like this. I would guess IPA in a minute if I didn't know.

The velvet like smoothness continues thru to the palate where it really spreads out, growing almost perfectly even...no real extremes or highs/lows are noticeable as it dissipates, a most peculiar sensation given how sweet, hopped & syrupy it is. It does grow bittersweet with citric, rocky hops on the throat as it finishes, leaving a filmy, painted, piney after bite with a pleasing lil' caramel kiss as it fades away.

A damn fine beer, and a fantastic Amber/Red. The sweet, thick malts & piney citric hops (off the top of my head) would pair well with just about anything I can think of, but right now I'm craving a real good deli sandwich and fries. Highly recommended, one of the best of its genre I've had. An excellent beer, check it out.

4.33/5  rDev 0%

Recieved surprise bottle from NikkisLiquors. Thanks a bunch Mikey!

Poured into my tall, slim nonic type glass from Pizza Port
Nice and frothy off-white head. Lots and lots of bubbles. Great lacing. Thick sheets of head and lace grace about 3 fingers of the glass. Foam finally subsides to a 1/2 inch and stays throughout the beer.
Clear, clean amber color, bordering on an orange hue. No discernable carbonation.
Immediate punch of resiny, citrus hops on the nose, but the balance of malty sweetness soon comes forward. Pine and some slight pithyness is definitely still there, but fades behind a sweeter nose.
Bigger flavor than any Amber I've had before. Hoppy citrus is a perfect contrast to the malty sweetness. Beautiful balance. Bitterness comes through more towards the end. There's no indication in the flavor that this is 7.5%. Extremely drinkable. But as an Amber/Red it should be, so that's no suprise. The surprise is how well balanced the hops and malt are. That's the beauty of this beer. Paired very nicely with grilled sirloin tip wrap with cheddar jack and homemade corn, tomato and radish salsa.

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Got in a trade with raccoon84 - thanks! Poured from a 12oz bottle with no dating into a pint glass. The color was a nice slightly hazy golden honey. It had a very small head that settled into a constant thin film with good lacing. The aroma was extreme citric hops. Reminds me of an IPA or DIPA instead of an amber. Definitely gets you excited to try it. The taste was outstanding. You get that great hops bite without the bitter end that you find in some IPA/DIPA's. This one goes down smooth from start to finish. Really a tasty brew. Just wish it was available here. Guess I'll be trading for some more in the future. Highly recommend. (4.5, RR, T, Y)

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

I think what most people miss about the beautifully hop-dripping Nugget Nectar ale is the malt base underneath. It's not the common, normally expected pale and crystal malt base (and that may seem a bit odd given the "amber" designation - at the very least it's not expected, more English malts are the usual) but this is really a beautifully formulated "lager-type" malt base. Of course they use an ale yeast, but the malts are so much softer and smoother and, in actuality, not really caramelish. It's really more of an Oktoberfest with ale yeast and bold American hops - and that's what sets it apart.

The hop selection of bold Americans (Nugget, Warrior/Tomahawk, Simcoe, Palisade), and the fact that they haven't slammed you over the head with them is the second half. But that's what Troeg's have always done... they take their beers to the edge and stop, giving you just enough to make you want to jump over the ledge, but also enough to make you want to stay and have another one before you go more! They keep it drinkable! Arrrghhhh.... perhaps TOO drinkable!!! You raise the glass to your nose and you smell that pungent, resinous, fruity, citrusy, grassy, and piney/spruce-like hop chharacter and it's like sticking your face in the opening of a freshly opened 44 pound bag of hops!

The flavor is velvety smooth in its roundness of flavor, despite the rock solid bitterness (once again, not overdone!), and displays the malts first and the hops second (at least until you get halfway into the glass). It finishes with a film of lingering maltiness and grassy, citrusy, and piney hops left on the palate.

In conclusion, I've found this beer to be a personal favorite for all-around drinkability due to depth of character (both in malt and hops), and drinkability. It packs strength, but it's still along the lines of an IPA. It's got a great malt and hop component, and it's superbly balanced. I enjoy it on tap any time I can find it, and I highly recommend you give it a try!

3.96/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Special thanks go out to Risser09 for the chance to try this beer!

The beer pours out clear orange color with a 1/4 inch white head. In the aroma I'm getting mostly a bready, biscuity scent, with some faint lemon and tangerine.

The taste is dominated by a sweet bready flavor, with a hint of lemon at the end of the swallow. The beer is very well balanced.

The mouthfeel is thin to medium, with a dry finish. This beer is extremely drinkable because of it's balance. I was expecting more of a hop bomb, but this is excellent.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company