Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Tröegs Nugget Nectar | Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Added by Edwin on 02-13-2004

#423

Ratings: 8,568 |  Reviews: 2,551
3.25/5  rDev -24.8%

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

(copied from blog - written February 6th, 2013)

Appearance – Perfect clear amber color… pretty much the color of honey. One to two finger creamy head. LOTS of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.
Smell – Well you could pretty much smell the piney orange aroma from across the room.
Taste – Pine sap, citrus, very hoppy, slight caramel… bitterness lingers.

Well from the get-go this beer is awesome. The appearance of it is the very definition of amber… in fact I kind of felt like John Hammond when I poured this out:

[Image of John Hammond from Jurassic Park looking at the amber at the end of his cane]

Minus the Mosquito of course... sorry for that image.
I love the tiny little bubbles that are forever being summoned from the bottom of the glass, which stay put on the walls of the glass as lacing as you consume this tasty beverage. This sure is an intense and powerful beer that has the qualities you would expect it would have by merely looked at the label; it’s the same color, and it tastes like you’re squeezing the shit out of a hop.

Warning: This beer much more resembles an imperial IPA than an amber so if you’re looking for a sweet, drinkable amber ale you probably shouldn’t get this.

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Edited: 1/30/15

Wow, my first review. I've decided to re-review this one and give it a fair shot now that I'm almost 750 more beers down.

From what I've previously reviewed it seems the hop bitterness lingers a lot longer, we'll into the finish and after. Medium to full body, light, well carbonated. classic semi dry taste. Malty and a hop forward.

Overall it's outstanding. A super hopped up liquid that's beautifully crafted. Kind of an identity crisis as its a hopped up malty ipa but it's sure as hell good fresh and worth the buy.

Original: L-3.25 S-3.0 T-3.5 F-3.75 O-3.5 total score: 3.39

This beer was very hyped. A lot of people told me to try it so I did. Hoppy but does not stick around. Great mouthfeel, good on smell... thought it would taste better to me. Overall excellent beer that I would recommend to try but far from my favorites.

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear amber with a frothy one inch light khaki head that slowly dissipates, leaving sheets of lacing.

Grapefruit, pine, fresh cut grass, and sweet, bready malt form the initial aroma. Tropical notes of pineapple and mango emerge.

Flavor is a bit more subtle than anticipated at first, with underpinnings of citrus giving way quickly to bitter hops, all amidst a bready caramel malt backbone. Subsequent sips reveal sticky resin, lime, and a muddled general citrus character, which has become far more dominant. The finish is decidedly resinous and bitter. The malt backbone caves to the hop barrage.

Body is moderate and smooth, with moderate carbonation and a fair amount of alcohol warmth.

Expected more malt presence, but great hop character. Verges on being too bitter for my liking.

3.5/5  rDev -19%

3.31/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I'll start by saying that amber ales are not my favorite style of beer. I find that the caramel malt overpowers my favorite qualities in the beer. Nugget nectar is an imperial version of said style so the alcohol boost and increase in hops are a nice touch to spark some interest for me. But the malt is still a bit strong in the recipe thus weighing my score down a bit. This beer is probably one of the best in its style, it's just not a style I desire.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company