Tröegs Nugget Nectar | Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Added by Edwin on 02-13-2004

Ratings: 8,558 |  Reviews: 2,551

4.99/5  rDev +15.5%

A - exactly as I would have expected and hoped for, deep Golden Amber.
S - Smells like sunshine dipped in honey
M - this is what sold me, smoooth despite the higher abv and hop profile.
O - why can't every beer be as good as this? Just really well executed amazing imperial amber. I would drink this all day and would recommend it any day.

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

4.34/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Re-review of this beer. As you can see by comparing the two reviews I had two totally different experiences almost two years apart. I have toned down my rating a bit based on my more recent experience.

-----

Reviewed Feb 6, 2015

Bottled on Jan 29, 2015. This beer was eight days old when I tried it.
Poured into a nonic pint.

A decent double IPA. I have no major criticisms, but in today’s world of extremes it does nothing exceedingly well in my opinion. 3.75

A – Pours beautiful clear reddish amber with a two-finger off-white moussey head. Head has a tinch of reddish orange in it. 4.0

S – Slight sweetness, malty, blossoms. 3.25

T – Malt, minor citrus notes, some bitter grassy resinous hops in the finish. 3.5

MF – Medium body, semi-dry finish, bright in the mouth. 3.75

----
Reviewed 3/31/13

Bottled on 2-8-13. Poured into pint glass.

A – Pours a clear amber color with a one-finger white head. Dissipates to a thin white layer. Nice lacing. Average carbonation.

S – Wonderful flora and herbal notes. Rose like qualities and some Italian spices.

T – Sweetness. Nice maltiness balanced against a hoppiness that is clearly evident but not overwhelming. Not too bitter.

MF – Smooth with some slight sharpness on the tongue from the carbonation and hops.

O – A beer that classic amber ale taste upgraded with the nugget hops for greater balance and a wonderful aroma. I will always attempt to keep a six of this in the fridge.

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

ST - poured from 12 oz brown bottle into hollow 1970's era hollow stem Gunther Brewery goblet.

A - rusty amber color with a slight haze. Not much head. Avg lacing.

S - tangy citrus and pine. Not overpowering. Well balanced.

T - hops predominate as you would expect from a beer named nugget nectar! Hard core hop heads may be left wanting more, but I think the Troeg brothers have done a remarkable job keeping this brew very well balanced and approachable.

M - not overly carbonated but still feels crisp and refreshing. Slick.

O - a very good brew. Drank a few down before I noticed that the ABV was a nice 7.5%...well balanced and simple pine and citrus favors do an excellent job of masking the alcohol content with little to no warming effect. I found these really easy to drink even though I'm just starting to warm up to hop heavy brews. I'm more of a porter / stout fan, but even a hop noob like me can see why they call this "nugget nectar"! Awesome label too!!

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company