Tröegs Nugget Nectar | Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Added by Edwin on 02-13-2004

#427

Ratings: 8,564 |  Reviews: 2,551

3.25/5  rDev -24.8%

4.74/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Aaron for helping me land this long time want in a trade.

A: Deep amber in color, 1 finger tangerine colored head with good lacing.

S: Smells like you are sticking your head into a rainforest of fruits.

T: Wow the citrus characters are coming out, pineapple, grapefruit, mango. Smooth finish. Nice malt balance.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation.

O: I shared one tonight with a well known chef and friend. I told him to drink this one slow because it goes quick and when It's gone you'll have no more. He finishes his glass and looks at me and says, damn I wish I had more, that was the best review of beer i've ever heard! This beer is insanely drinkable, get as much as you can, while you can. Hoppy enough to satisfy you, calm enough to drink a lot of. World class brew in my book.

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

(Note: personal scoring system uses whole numbers, rounding down usually)

12oz bottle bottled 1/4/2013 batch #121119 poured into Bell's tulip glass and consumed today 3/7/2013. Thanks to powz87!

Aroma: Quite a lot of sticky-smelling sweetness making me think of caramel and toffee balanced nicely by a crisp, refreshing citrus/grapefruit aroma likely from the hops. Really nice smell that leans towards the malt portion of the brew. Just the way I like it. (4)

Colour: Pours a nice, clear amber colour with a 2cm white head that dissipates within a minute into a thick white collar. The lacing is sticky and lovely looking. (4)

Flavour: Boy this is a nice malty beer with a hoppy ending. I am really enjoying the caramel and sugary sweetness that only gets accentuated by the hoppy grapefruit bitterness that picks up halfway through and takes it all the way to the bitter end. A lot of beers have a lot of malt and a lot of hops- not a great many make the flavors from these contributions blend together this well. (4.25)

Mouthfeel: A crisp, medium-bodied beer with very good carbonation. A bit dry tasting despite being somewhat resinous but otherwise easily quaffable. Aftertaste is a reasonably intense bitter grapefruit that doesn't leave the tongue for minutes afterwards. (4)

Overall: Really a well-put together beer whose bitter quotient rivals that of many DIPAs. I could drink this every day if I could get Tröegs here. Luckily I'll be in Pennsylvania in another month so I'll make it a point to drink some more of this great brew! (4.25)

4.36/5  rDev +0.9%

12 oz bottle

A - One of the best looking beers I've seen. Really nice red amber color. Pours about 1.5 - 2 inches of white foam head. Really perfect looking.

S - Some fresh citrus and piney hops, mild malt. Very crisp and light. Not really in your face or bold, but certainly nothing bad. If it were a little more prominent, it would be higher.

T - Paying attention to the "rate it by the style" rules, this is easily the best amber I've ever had. Taste is super smooth, the hop profile is light but thick, if that makes sense. There is light hop note of bitter citrus and pine is not overwhelming, but it is extremely prominent. Very very smooth. Slight bittering finishes it off. Easy to drink.

M - medium carbonation, little bit creamy, very good.

O - As I said before, as ambers go, this thing is the best. If it were available in my area, it would likely fall into the category of beers that I wouldn't regularly buy just because the amber profile isn't exactly my favorite. But i would certainly pick it up occasionally and would never turn one away. Excellent beer.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company