Tröegs Nugget Nectar | Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Added by Edwin on 02-13-2004

#429
Liked:
4.32/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 8,561 |  Reviews: 2,551

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint, Thanks Pensfan

A - beautiful amber color with a solid sudsy head with a nice sticky lacing.

S - light grapefruit and pine but nothing overpowering, crisp and clean.

T - the grapefruit is dominant with just a bit of pine. A nice malty caramel balance. This is really well balanced and enjoyable.

M - feels medium bodied but very smooth. Moderate carbonation, just really smooth. Could see tipping quite a few of these back.

O - received as an extra in a trade, immediately sought out more. this beer is very enjoyable, only wish it was more available in my neck of the woods. this would be in constant rotation. I marked it a little lower in smell since it was so light, but all other attributes are spot on. great job Troegs!

4.59/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Heard good things so I picked up 2, 6-packs last week. A week later I had only 1 left so I figured if review it before it was all gone.

Appearance: translucent copper. A nice 1 inch head with great retention and lacing. If you served my an imperial amber this would be the standard for appearance. Not sure what could possibly be improved upon. It is what I thought it was.

Smell: strong hop aroma. Very light citrus. I love hoppy beers but really don't like the pine aromas/tastes that are making their way into so many brews these days. The absence of any pine aroma is a big time plus for me. Again the aroma sets the bar for me in this style. I'm nitpicking but just a little something extra to give more complexity would be nice.

Taste: strong hop characteristic but not overpowering. Slight citrus notes in middle and finish. Very balanced hop profile throughout. Bitter finish but again not overpowering. Just a great well balanced hop flavor. Again I'm nitpicking but maybe a little something to give more complexity would be nice. But this is just a great straight forward hoppy amber. Just executes its simplicity to perfection.

Mouthfeel: light and refreshing. Great for welcoming in spring. The hips and bitterness leave your mouth tingling wanting more.

Just a great simple hoppy amber. Executes the style perfectly. Great to see a brewery executing with simplicity rather than just making crazy brews that don't work. Definitely a yearly purchase in February.

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: pours crystal clear amber w. a four finger frothy, off white head; beautiful lacing lacing. this beer is definitely ready for a close-up.
S: pronounced fresh piney grapefruit.
T: nice, but aggressive bitterness up front - follows nose - piney citrus; there is a nice & somewhat surprising balance of caramel malt – so, i can’t say that the hops are resiny. dry, bitter finish. this is by far the hoppiest amber i've had thus far - and i like the combo.
M: nice medium carbonation; bitter & dry; clean.
O: i tried a few of troeg's beers last summer at their brewery in hershey, pa & left a big fan with cases of perpetual IPA & hop back. in the time since, i have discovered BA & been especially curious about nugget nectar given all of the chatter. overall, it's a solid beer, but i'm still going to have to give perpetual the nod as my favorite troegs' beer.

bottled 012413. batch #130103. GF brought me back two sixers from cinci.

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

3.5/5  rDev -19%

4.51/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite beers. Copper color with a brownish head of foam and drinks really smooth.Be careful, It will sneak up on you. You forget its a 7.5% and want to drink it all night. Bummer it's a seasonal cause this is one amber ale I would try to have on hand fulltime.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a reddish orange. Nice 2 finger head w light lacing. Smells grassy and citrusy. Tastes of tropical fruit, citrus with a piney finish. Perfectly carbonated.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Jrnyc for this one

pours very nice amber with an off white head. The smell is amazing just citrusy grapefruit and hops. Great hop flavor very balanced beer. By far the hoppiest amber I have had. The beer is very light and easily drinkable an very refreshing. This is an amber that drinks like an IPA in my opinion and I cant wait to get some more

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Schlimenhaumer for shipping me this one from New York. Label is predominantly orange. 7.5% ABV confirmed. Brewed with Nugget, Warrior, and Tomahawk hops. 93ish IBUs. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with branded pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given its current ratings. I can't read the bottled-on date; it's smudged.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a healthy 5+ finger beige-khaki colour head of smooth frothy cream, great thickness, and fantastic retention (5+ minutes) for the high ABV. Body colour is a rich clear vibrant copper; translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Light sticky lacing as the head slowly recedes. That's a hell of a head. Looking great for an Imperial Amber; the best I've seen since Alesmith My Bloody Valentine. Soft and appealing. I'm excited to try it. That's fecking gorgeous.

Sm: Evocative floral and nectary hops balanced well by lightly sweet pale malts. Subtle pine and grapefruit. Clean, pleasant, and fresh. I don't get any hop bitterness or signs of imbalance from the aroma. A bit of spicy character, actually. Light toasted malt. Some oily hop character. Juicy citrus. Quite appealing, all around. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. A fairly strong aroma. I'm impressed.

T: Juicy citrus with light grapefruit very well balanced by the amber malt/toasted malt backbone. Sugary in the third act. It's nectary indeed, evoking bright fruits and soft floral goodness. Light subtle spiciness; it doesn't seem to be from the yeast though. In any case, it's well integrated and betrays a masterful complexity often unseen in any hoppy beer style - let alone an Imperial Amber. I get some restrained kisses of orange peel. A bit of tangerine. Estery and clean. Very pleasant to drink. The balance is fantastic. Light caramel malt is subtly worked in. The sweetness/bitterness balance is near perfect for my tastes. Juicy grapefruit and evocative pine are dominant. I love it.

Mf: Soft, smooth, and wet. Juicy and chewy. A touch oily. Refreshing. Carbonation is almost ideal; right on the money for the style. None of the bite or sharpness of inferior Imperial Ambers.

Dr: Obscenely drinkable for the high ABV; I could down this one all night. The ABV is very well hidden. I'm a big fan. I've heard this is inexpensive and widely available in New York; how fantastic. Probably the best Imperial Amber I'll ever hope to have. This is a style definer for me. Lives up to the hype. This would be a staple if I was lucky enough to live in a region where it's distributed.

Low A

***
02/06/17: Living in NYC, I had to pick up 2 sixers based on my memory of how good this stuff was and how high my previous rating is...even though the best price for it in the city is $13.99 per 6 pack (at Whole Paycheck). Brief impressions below from revisiting it via the 2017 batch:

Pours a vibrant gold with a reddish tint and a healthy frothy head, amber malts tempered by pale malts in what looks like a fusion of an amber ale proper and an IPA.

Aroma hints at resin and onion, implicating simcoe. Vague fruits are in there too couched in the sweetness of amber and pale malts, suggesting a more biscuity heartier hoppy ale than you'd find in an IPA - and a hoppier beer than you'd expect of a traditional amber ale. Nectary is a good word for it, with sticky resins abound. A blip of bubblegum phenol indicates additional yeast-derived flourish. A complex aroma promising a balanced yet approachable and somewhat unique imperial amber ale. If I'm nitpicking, I suppose it could be still more fresh and expressive, but this aroma makes me eager for the first sip. Aromatic intensity is moderate.

TASTE & TEXTURE: How I didn't find the oily pine in the aroma is beyond me, but it fuses brilliantly with the amber malt backbone in the taste. Oniony simcoe is there too, along with a hug of floral and resinous hop flavours. Hop oils meet amber malts and the result is a lovely harmony of flavour with more body and nuance than most IPAs or amber ales...this is a true imperial amber, and may be one of a kind.

Highly drinkable for the ABV.

***
02.23.17

With some age (a scant 2 weeks), this drops to a mere B. Current rating reflects this beer when fresh.

I'm not a huge freshness-obsessive like many out there, but this beer in particular seems to succumb rather quickly.

B / GOOD

3.76/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours out a burnt amber color. Very clear. Two fingers of off white head. Thin but enveloping lacing.

S: Dank pine, grapefruit, pineapple and mango.

T: Pine, grapefruit, and bready malt.

M: Medium body with medium carbonation. This one is pretty oily too.

O: Sneaky Troegs! I love that they call this an "imperial amber". The amount of hops in this one tell me otherwise. The ABV also tells me it is a little light for an imperial. Overall, a pretty good brew. Just expect more of an amber colored IPA than an amber ale.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company