Tröegs Nugget Nectar | Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Added by Edwin on 02-13-2004

Reviews: 2,499 | Ratings: 8,417
4.41/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - such a rich amber color. beautiful!

S- Very fragrant. Floral hops.

T - Tart on the front, hops in the middle, bready finish. Very drinkable for the abv.

M- fuller than I expected which is surprising and pleasant. Sits medium-heavy in the mouth, low carbonation. Feels good man.

O - Not a huge amber guy but full bodied imperial ambers done with hops apparently are something delightful.

4.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

A: Clear amber color with foamy white head that covers the glass as you drink, leaving big thick lacing.

S: All hops. Pine, and citrus dominate.

T: Pine, and earthy resin. Ruby red grapefruit, and sweet mandarin oranges. Honey are caramel are present as well, with nice malt backbone.

M: Medium bodied and crisp. Lighter than I expected.

O: Great flavor and character, and light enough to drink many in one sitting.

O:

4.46/5  rDev +3%

The 16' batch is absolutely delicious. Beautiful golden amber color. Pretty decent head, almost an inch. A fruity, somewhat citrusy, hit. Definitely hoppy, with a perfectly balanced malt. Possible honey hint? Absolutely delicious. The Nectar seems to get better every year! One of my favorites.

3.51/5  rDev -18.9%

The bottle says: Freshest by 052516 60120-807 20:34

Appearance: Dark transparent bronze body with an eggshell colored thick foamy head. Good retention and spiderweb lacing.

Aroma: It has a nice grapefruit and orange zest smell with a bit of this deep earthy character.

Taste: The beer opens with a bit of a spicy taste much like you would get from a gingerbread cookie but not quite ginger. It follows with a bit of sweetness with quite a bit of alcohol flavor. A touch of pith and this yeasty bready aftertaste. If I had to describe this beer in two words it would be bready and alcoholic.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a good amount of bitterness without being overwhelming. Good carbonation and a bit wet on the palate.

Overall: It's a good beer. It didn't really stand out to me but it is enjoyable. I might pick it up again if I see it but I'm not going to go out of the way for it.

3.94/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This was my first time trying Nugget Necatar. Nice pour, brownish, golden amber color, not too dark. At least an inch of head which left a nice residue on the glass while drinking. Smells of hoppy aromas with citrus. Mouth feel is on the thicker side. Not as much citrus in the flavor as I anticipated based on the smell. The pine is prominent with hints of lime and orange peel however I did not enjoy the aftertaste similar to how others have noted.

12oz can poured into a tulip glass:

Look: Pours an amazing ruby red/amber/copper color with about and inch of head and lacing present.

Smell: Grapefruit and hops are very forward on the nose!

Taste: Juicy, dank, hoppy, grapefruity, piney, and a nice malty/caramel backbone! Tastes amazing!

Feel: Medium bodied, very crisp and refreshing.

Overall: This is one of my favorite all time beers. I am not a fan of amber ales but this thing is amazing. Super hopped up and its an imperial amber to boot. I always grab 1-2 cases of this every year when it comes out as it flies off the shelves as soon as it hits them. Get out there and grab this if its still around!!

3.36/5  rDev -22.4%

Was really looking forward to trying this one after hearing all the hype. Had a 6pck last week. A bit disappointed. Pretty strong hop forward flavor mixed with pine and citrus. Mouthfeel was OK but left kind of weird aftertaste - medicinal. Strong - seemed higher than 7.5%. Liked it overall but not up to the world class rating especially at $15/6pck. Perpetual is better.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours deep orange-brown, wth one finger head that dissipates quickly. Smell not pronounced, but pleasant. Tastes rich and dank, not too bitter, long finish. Feel is smooth, creamy. I'm enjoying drinking it.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

What an impressive beer. I don't know that I've ever had an imperial amber IPA before, and I can't figure out why not. The amber pour is gorgeous and the malt backbone adds some additional strength to support the powerful hoppiness. The initial bitterness gives way to a more complex hop profile. By the end of the beer I'm wanting a second.

3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours darker than a traditional IPA as the malt supports the considerable bitterness. The hop flavor is far more resinous then citric. Feel like a nicely balanced traditional IPA while not going overboard. The bitter is definitely forward but I like the malt undertones.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

This one hits all the necessary notes for an outstanding beer. Great body, feel, and, most importantly, great taste. Hoppy and malty all at once...is that possible? Yes, yes it is.

4.1/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured on tap into a tulip pint glass. This is a beer that I feel gets a lot of hype - I get that it's a really nice hoppy red but I am not sure I get the love for this.

Its color is ruby red, fizzy off white head with decent retention.

Nose is a bit floral with a nice spicy malt bill.

Flavor is great, juicy and floral hops with a nice bitter a great sweetness to balance.

Feel is a bit brash, but it's fine.

Overall, a nice brew, but not sure I get the 96 rating or the cases disappearing in minutes.

3.22/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

My first time trying what apparently is a highly revered beer and I'm not into it. Looks okay...clear amber with a fluffy white head that lingers and leaves heavy lacing. Smell is unpleasant. Medicinal with some faint pine and citrus flavors. Taste is also unpleasant. Again, medicinal is the best way of describing it. The first couple sips were like biting into an aspirin, super bitter and metallic in taste (poured from a bottle, btw). About 1/4 through the glass (maybe after my taste buds adjusted) I finally started getting some piney, resinous hop flavor under all that sheer bitterness. It wasn't until about halfway through my glass (maybe after my taste buds were completely annihilated) that I finally started to get some faint hints of caramely malty sweetness. Feel is medium, somewhat creamy, and very dry on the finish. Amber ales are generally one of my favorite styles, but besides the color, I don't really see how this fits the style at all. I found it very unbalanced, very bitter, and lacking in a lot of the toasted biscuit flavors I like so much in this style. Some of the flavors were just bizarre and I'm not even sure if they were intentional. Not worth the hype, imo.

4.19/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle into a teku.
Red-Gold color, crystal clear. Billowy white head initially but recedes to a thin ring after a few sips.
Aroma seems somewhat subdued. notes of citrus and pine.
The taste is predominately resinous, piney hops, some citrus like bitter grapefruit peels. All the hop flavors are gently supported by a backbone of caramel-like malt sweetness.
Medium body.
Overall, a very enjoyable red ale. If it were available in Minnesota, it would have a place in my fridge.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

12 0z can. Nice hazy, amber pour. Strong pine aroma, some tropical fruit too. Tastes very hoppy, and a little bit watered down. Not bad, but this year it certainly is not deserving of its world class title.

4.02/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured out of a 12 ounce can into a glass. Amber in color with a 3/4 inch head. Aromas aren't very profound or memorable even. Tastes somewhat bitter with hoppy, resinous flavor. It's definitely a malt forward beer however. Overall, it's worth trying but I feel like this year's release is underwhelming compared to the past years. 2014 was good, 2015 was average. This year is below average.

4.19/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a light Amber color. Aroma is piney hops up front with a malty presence. Flavor is piney and resiny hops up front with a balanced malt finish. Overall this is very nice.

3.34/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

6 packs of 12 oz cans. Pours golden Amber, good bite from the carbonation.

Smell- Astrigent. Medicinal. Would not describe as pleasant.

Taste- There is a metallic taste in all of the examples I've had this year. Not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that I got them in cans or is inherent to the actual beer. There is a bit of hoppiness, but I struggle to describe the other flavors. Medicinal still comes to mind. I'm not sure what they're really going for taste-wise.

I bought this newly released, only a couple weeks old at most. People said last year's release wasn't the best, so I was hoping for this to impress me. Wow, was I completely suckered into this by the marketing and hype surrounding the release (store I bought it from had a full end aisle display). I'd say this was even worse than I had last year, and I'm still not sure of the taste they are going for.

The fact that this beer has a 96 on this site is an embarrassment and speaks more to marketing/hype surrounding the yearly release than any actual merit in the current craft beer market.

4.14/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

had this beer last year and was a stand out. pours a clean Amber and can see hand through the glass. minimal head.. nice red malt nose of sweet candy and some hops. on first sip get caramel coated mouthfeel with nice malt up front giving way to spicy hops. great red ale but I seem to remember more hops and more bite last year. overall standout beer in its class.

2.53/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Since the initial release of Nugget Nectar several years back, I've anxiously awaited each new batch, along with thousands of fellow hopheads. Since so little was brewed, and there was such a high demand, the brew gained a cult status.

Imagine my disappointment with this years drastically watered down version of what was previously a world class brew. That is certainly no longer the case. All of the previous in your face character is gone. Mouthfeel is non-existent. Malt profile is average at best. Hopping is weak to be generous. NN has now become a total sellout to corporate profits!! Even the carton and labels have been drastically changed and cheapened in order to squeeze out a few more pennies of profit per case.

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY THIS BEER!! What was once a classic is now not even average.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Can was about a month old, and was an extra on a trade w an East coast homie. Slightly bitter up front, but fades to a smooth respectable malty presence. Liked it better as it warmed up.
I could easily drink this as a session beer

3.61/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look - A clear in appearance, amber type color
Smell - Sweet bready malts, spice, floral, some citrus, some dankness
Taste - Floral and spicy hops dominate. Hints of citrus and caramel malts in there as well

Overall - A very much overhyped beer in my opinion. Good but certainly should not be PA's highest rated beer. Heck, it's not even Troegs best beer.

3.66/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

look was a deep brown w orange hue, smell just pulled out a malt caramel no hops presence to me, taste couldn't find a prominence or style, not an amber not an IPA and I know this is what they are shooting for, feel was a hearty beer w a great carbonation, but I do not feel the style or beer, i will pass on this going forward, although I have been told this year was not a good or solid batch. Maine Zoe to me is better.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm a pretty big fan of the style, though I don't tend to buy very often for whatever reason. This is my first time trying Nugget Nectar, and is probably the best of the style that I have tried. Looked at a few other reviews saying its not as good as it used to be. Makes me wish I had the chance to try in previous years, but oh well. Lives up to the hype in my opinion.

4.39/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: A bright, jewel-tone orange. Fluffy, thick white head. Beer looks thick and translucent.

S: Bread, resin and some spice.

T: Some citrusy hops at first, yielding to a mix of bread, grass, warm spices and tropical fruits. Nicely balanced. All the crisp flavor without too much unchecked, hoppy bitterness.

F: Sticky. Thick. Viscous.

O: Quite enjoyed this. A substantial beer that packs a surprisingly sophisticated punch.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company