Tröegs Nugget Nectar | Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Added by Edwin on 02-13-2004

Ratings: 8,555 |  Reviews: 2,549

2.36/5  rDev -45.4%

Poured from small-ish bottle (375?) into a snifter.

A: Very nice amber color, quite clear. Medium head.

S: Lots of malty / bready smell, along with heavy hops... And are those strawberries in there? Anyway, I have a feeling that this will be a very bitter and malty beer.

T: Not a hop bomb, but it's got quite a bit of bitterness and too much caramel flavor to balance it out. That bready strawberry flavor from the nose is in there, as well, but it's not great. Not my cup o' tea (or mug of beer). Unsophosticated and doesn't hide its alcohol well.

M: Heavy body. Not drinkable.

O: I'm going to take a couple more sips and then pour it out. Too much caramel and not interesting at all.

3.84/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass.

A: Pours a deep reddish orange. Light off white, slightly yellow head, which fades quickly. Light lacing remains throughout drinking.

S: Very light sweet scent, definitely getting pine and toffee, with a hint of citrus. Unfortunately, it's a very light scent, I'd like it to be more powerful upfront.

T: Malt and sweetness upfront, with the pine and citrus hoppy notes finishing it off. Love the mid/end notes, but the upfront sweetness is slightly too strong for me. Definitely balances a bit as it warms, which turns it from something I'd pass on in the future to a really good beer, but I'd like a little more balance.

M: Great carbonation and smooth throughout. Definitely drinks well.

O: I'm mixed. I want the flavor slightly more balanced, but then again, it's not a DIPA. It drinks like one, looks like one, and so I expect those characteristics. I definitely enjoy it. It's so close to a DIPA I find myself wishing it WAS one, but once I get past that, I really like it for what it is.

3.49/5  rDev -19.2%

Big thanks to DSlim71 for this one. No bottling date, but presumably 2012. 12 oz. bottle poured into a Jolly Pumpkin tulip.

A: Pours a deep golden orange with a full finger of creamy white head. Tons of lacing. This looks great.

S: Huge toffee scent up front. Some orange and hops are in there as well, but the toffee dominates. To be honest, the nose is off-putting to me. I hope it tastes better than it smells.

T: Again, toffee on the front end here. Huge piney, resinous hops follow it up. There is a very strong grapefruit presence here, too. The toffee flavor is really lingering for me, and I just don't think it's for me with this brew.

M: Very slick, oily mouthfeel here. The mouthfeel of this is very much like a good double ipa, which I really appreciate. Nice.

O: I had no idea what to expect from this brew. While well-crafted, this brew was just not for me. The toffee presence overpowered all of the other wonderful aromas, flavors, and qualities of the beer, and I just cannot get past it. It really reminded me of a more well-rounded version of Stoudt's Double IPA, which I had similar feelings about. That being said, this was a really well-done brew that has quite a bit going for it. Really glad I got to try it, and very well-crafted, but this was not for me.

3.88/5  rDev -10.2%

3-21-12 batch
Pours a clear amber red with a nice off white head good retention and lacing

Pines good amount of sweet candy like Malts some fruitiness

Nice piney hops balanced with a good amount of sweet malts

Medium bodied high carbonation leaving a wet mouth

Overall can't go wrong with this

3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

Look: Very dark copper color with a 1/2 inch off white head and excellent retention. With awesome circular lace

Smell: Floral and piney hops with a touch of caramel

Taste: The combination of floral and piney hops are again present with a touch of caramel and citrus

Mouthfeel: Thin body with ample carbonation and very dry

Overall: The nose and taste were a bit subtle and I must say I was expecting more. After having a couple bottles of this I have no reason to ever seek it out again

2.75/5  rDev -36.3%