Tröegs Nugget Nectar | Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Added by Edwin on 02-13-2004

Ratings: 8,555 |  Reviews: 2,549
4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

When I first tried Nugget Nectar, I did not know what to expect. It was recommended to me by a close friend who I trust greatly when it comes to beer. The first one I had I thought I was in a heavenly place. I felt like I was in the scene of Beerfest when they try the secret recipe for the very first time. It was the first time I tried a beer that hit on almost every aspect of a beer. I would recommend this to anyone to try along with any of Troegs Brewing Company's brews.

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a clear copper, with a 1/2" off-white head that slowly reduces. The ale is quite clear, and looks like a topaz or some other amber jewel.

Smells of full-on hop resin, quite piney and full of malt, with notes of alcohol, butter, and sap.

Taste is mouth-puckering hoppy, with sweet malt, honey, pine, mango and oranges. Finishes bitter, but not as bitter as you'd expect. Quite tasty, and difficult to put down.

I'd love to know the IBU's on this one, as it setting my tongue a'tingling. Medium bodied, it has a rather smooth feel considering the dry hoppy finish.

I love this amber ale, perhaps even more that GL's Nosferatu, which I always had considered my favorite Imperial Amber. Smooth, hoppy, flavorful, this is an excellent brew which I highly recommend you try.

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottled 02/20/2012
Special thanks to TheSevenDuffs for this. I bought a 6 pack last year and thought I reviewed this but I guess I didn't

A- Clear amber pour with a three finger chunky, soapy large bubbled off white head that leaves huge gobs of lacing everywhere.

S- Huge pine and citrus hops followed by a nice sweet malt backing. There is a slight mango, strawberry in there as well as a really subtle soapy characteristic. It smells exactly how you think that hop on the label would smell.

T- There is a huge hit of citrus and pine with a mango, peach and strawberry sweetness. Chewy caramel and sweet malts rounding everything out.

M- Medium bodied, good carbonation. Slightly chewy.

O- This really is a gem. They know they have something special here and it's always a little hard to come by for a reason.

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance - Pours a beautiful golden amber, about a fingers worth of head, clear, no haze whatsoever.

Smell - Pine, citrus, grapefruit and resins dominate the nose.

Taste - Nice smooth bitterness right up front followed by a nice citra sweetness all wrapped around a nice malty backbone. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel - nice carbonation allows the drink to be light and crisp

Overall - I dont know, last year this beer blew me away, not so much this year. Dont get me wrong this beer if PHENOMENAL but it just goes to show how much a palate can change. Do a side to side comparison to lagunitas imperial red, do them blind and see which you prefer.

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

Bottled 3/8/2012.

Amber pour, plenty of head, strong lace and retention. A quick swirl awakens the frothy fury after settling. Fresh, piney hops in the nose. Citrusy fruit peels join the fray.

Strongly (nugget) hopped, still retains the sharp piney flavor profile of an IPA. A touch of sweetness midway through reminds me of citra hops. Good malt backbone initially, but this fades quickly to leave a lingering bitterness with some bite to it. Nice body and feel.

I can see how many would like this, but it's really not for me. Don't dislike it, don't love it. I'm not a hop-head, though I do LOVE citra hops. That said, if I were in the mood for a beer like this, it's gonna be Zombie Dust every time.

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

Purchased at Giant Eagle in Robinson, PA

A: A dark amber color with a head that is only about one finger thick.

S: Citrus and hops. Sweet, but not candy like.

T: The hops aren't overwhelming, but provide a nice after taste.

M: Not quite full bodied, but it fills the mouth with a very clean and drinkable flavor.

O: I would love to drink this beer again, and very often. Troegs has really crafted a terrific ale.

4.75/5  rDev +10%

4.75/5  rDev +10%

4.48/5  rDev +3.7%

An aggressive pour yields a finger and a half of sandy colored head over a beautiful copper body. Light lacing noted throughout consumption, and a good ring sticks around as well. Slow but steady stream of bubbles from top to bottom.

Citrus and strong pine hops blend together for an amazing nose. This is backed up with good malt and something sweet, like honeyed fruit.

Malt tries to compete with the hops in the beginning, and the two work really well together, although the hops definitely do a good job of upstaging, especially a very good pine note. Light caramel comes in to help the malt out after a little while. Honey is also very complimentary.

This beer is medium bodied and on the creamy side. Carbonation bites your tongue in the beginning, then helps propel the beverage over the tongue and down the throat.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company