Tröegs Nugget Nectar | Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Added by Edwin on 02-13-2004

Ratings: 8,555 |  Reviews: 2,549

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Bottled 2/20/12. Reviewed 3/12/12.

Brilliant, copper body. Moderate off-white head that settles to a thin cover.

Good dose of malts, with caramel and brown sugar on the nose. Tons of tropical fruit sweetness and floral hops. Some pine.

Caramel and biscuit malts, with some nuttiness as well. Floral hops and some soft tropical fruits, mostly papaya and pineapple. Woody and earthy hop bitterness on the finish. Nice balance and highly drinkable.

Easily the best amber/imperial amber I've ever had. Wonderful flavors and I could down a 6 pack. Send more my way!

3.92/5  rDev -9.3%

Crystal clear light ruby color with a fizzy white head. Low retention and decent lacing.

The nose starts off real nice with bright citrus and mild floral and light pine hops bit then it falls off and the pungency is gone fairly quickly unfortunately.

Flavor is nice for the style. Definitely the red style tartness that is ever present but balance pretty well with nice floral an citrus hops.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with a bit of a tart pucker. High carbonation.

Overall it's a good beer. One of the better reds I've had. But nothing that gets me too excited.

4.46/5  rDev +3.2%

First and unfortunately, judging by how hard it is to get this beer here, it could be my only one for quite some time.
This is a great beer for me! Nice bite, but goes down nice and easy as well.
L-Beautiful dark Amber colored beer!
S-The smell was probably the low point for me. I really didn't catch much of a smell at all off this beer.
T-Splendid tasting beer! A nice blend of bitterness along with just a little citrus to even it out.
F-Medium carbonation in this beer.
O-Overall this is a GREAT beer! If I have the chance to get this, I will again, it's just going to be a tough get.

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%

Really, the only bad thing I have to say about this beer is that it should be made year-round. But anyway...

Pours an intriguing true amber with a big, sticky, pillowy head. Gets down to about a finger at its lowest point, with nice even lacing. It's a good-looking beer, but really, that's the only area in which this one doesn't excel.

The nose is gorgeous. Bready base, some thick, woody, vinous notes, and of course the hops on top of it all--tending towards citrus-pine, but a little spicy and floral as well.

The taste is well-balanced for all the name would imply. It's actually more vinously sweet than malty, I'd say--but not cloying. Hops hit on several notes as the nose promised; piney, citrusy, and floral. Nice dry, tannic finish with a little sweetness and little to no alcohol (that can be detected through the hops, anyway). Mouthfeel is pleasantly sticky, kinda staying on your tongue so you can enjoy the interplay of all those hop flavors.

Overall, this is a legitimately great beer, and one that I'm really proud to say comes from my hometown brewery. I'd put it up against anything in the country for the most drinkable ale money can buy.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Growler fill from the taps at Billy Jack's Wings, Harrisonburg, VA.

A delicious American Ale:

Ap: Dark-copper glimmery temptation in the glass with a lovely white head.

Smell: extremely floral and grassy, smells like my hop vines in mid-August. A nice sweet biscuit/honey finish to the nose.

Taste: Sweet, hop explosion with a nice malt backbone to keep it multi-dimensional. Nugget nectar, indeed. Although the other non-nugget hops are noticeable as well, the Nuggs definitely take center stage. Pleasantly bitter and well-rounded.

Mouthfeel: almost too thick and syrupy, but it's such a pleasantly delicious taste I can forgive that.

Overall: I'm biased towards session beers, and for me this is definitely in the "one-and-done" category, both for ABV and flavor intensity. But what a One it is!

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottled 2/14/12

A: One-finger, frothy just off-white color head, nice clear deep amber color, decent carbonation, some lacing

S: Wow, this aroma is awesome, so close to being a 5, sweet blend of hops, nice malts, a lot going on with the nose

T: Really well balanced from start to finish, good ingredients, good flavor

M: Very good, smooth, good carbonation, medium bodied, pleasing aftertaste

O: Quality stuff, I've drank probably a 12-pack by now and will be getting this every year I can, I'm very happy I was able to acquire some

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company