Nugget Nectar | Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Added by Edwin on 02-13-2004

#435

Ratings: 8,616 |  Reviews: 2,559

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Saw this at Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, OH. Since I have read a lot about this beer and since we don't get Troegs in Kentucky, I picked up a 6er. Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium tulip. It's a fairly clear pour (slight hop haze) with a beautiful coppery orange color. Not much head, but the nose is awesome! It reminds me a little bit of FFF Zombie Dust, only not quite as strong. It's a wonderful blend of sweet tropical notes; oranges, peaches, and lemons.

The beer has a medium to firm body with a nice semi-sweet malt backbone with a very well-balanced rush of hops at mid-palate. Toast and marmalade comes to mind. The hops aren't very well-sustained towards the back of the palate and the finish, while soft and dry, is a bit disappointing. That's about the only bad thing I can say about the taste. Other than that, this is a fine beer.

I enjoyed this beer, but at $12 per six-pack I was a bit underwhelmed by it. However, if you like IPAs and Amber Ales, then you should definitely give this a try (provided you can get it easily). I'm sure you'll enjoy it. As for me, I probably wouldn't pay $12 for another 6-pack, though I would definitely be willing to try it on tap.

FOLLOW-UP: Over the course of drinking this six-pack, I began to like this beer more and more, especially the way it smells. I will definitely buy it again next year if possible.

3.5/5  rDev -19%

4.82/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured From a Bottle into a Pint Glass

Appeared a deep copper with a light layer of sticky, white head. Smelled of citrus and pine with malty undertones. Orange, pine and grapefruit are immediately tasted with a bold, clean finish that lingers in the mouth for some time. Overall, a great beer whose release I look forward to every year. Luckily I was able to snag one of the first batches of this year's release.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

Received a bottle in a trade. Pretty dark brownish red color. Sweet caramel, hops and citrus on the nose. Sweet malting with orange and sweet grapefruit. Oily thickness on the mouth that leaves clean and refreshing. My first bottle of Nugget Nectar and if it was available on the west coast I would put this in my rotation.

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

Enjoyed this on-tap at Revivals Restaurant in Perkasie, PA.
Enjoyed from a standard pint glasss.

A - The beer is a deep copper/ amber color. It came to our table with a one finger, beige colored head that faded to a light skim on top. Good amount of sticky lacing left on the glass.

S - The aroma is very IPA-like. Lots of citrus and hops. Smell is very inviting.

T - This is a really good beer. Tons of hop bite with a nice citrus flavor. A nice maltiness as well that gives it a toffee-like sweetness. The hops are dominate but not to the point that the beer is unbalanced . The alcohol is not noticeable.

M - A medium consistency. Lightly carbonated.

O - A top-notch beer. Troegs has hit on all cylinders with this brew. I would drink this again and highly recommend it.

Cheers!

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

Each and every year i await and hound My craft beer owners about this beer and when it is comming out, i aboslutly love everything about this beer! It is a shame that it cannot win an award at the GABF. It is also ashame that we canot buy this amazing creation year round. I have already consumed 2 cases of it and if i find it again i will buy as much as i [email protected] 7.5 %ABV the drinkability is spot on and it gives you a killer buzz...The resiny hops beg you back for another sip after every swallow. Even if it gets warm on yu its still smooth as silk!

4.58/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip.

S: Smells like fresh pine, slightly malty

A: Burnt orange, reddish, minimal head

T: Grapefruit, so much fresh grapefruit. There is a malt backbone that's there. Very very drinkable. Taking a sip is almost like biting into a slightly pine flavored grapefruit.

M:excellent, not too thin, not at all thick.

D:So very drinkable. No alcohol can be tasted.

O: If you can try this, do, it's amazing. I've never had such an IPA that tastes so much of one fruit like this.

4.88/5  rDev +13%

Poured from a bottle into a Chemay tulip. Heard a LOT of good things about this one--looking very much forward to it!

A: Golden amber. Finger of white creamy head that dissipates. Minimal lacing.

S: Smells caramelly and malty--awesome.

T: WOW. That's like a caramelized grapefruit. So drinkable.

M: Feels exactly like I would expect it to. Fills the mouth nicely. I'm going to go ahead and drink this.

O: I want more. I want a LOT more. I'm sad that it is only avaiable for a short time--I'm going to need to stock up!

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%