Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Added by Edwin on 02-13-2004

#427

Ratings: 8,564 |  Reviews: 2,551

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

Enjoyed in a pint glass

A: pours a crystal clear amber to deep orange with two fingers of creamy and fizzy off white colored head that lingers nicely and leaves a ton of lacing
S: very nice and fresh citrus hop notes and an interesting piney undertone that adds nice depth
T: its just goddamn delicious, really great citrus hop notes and an interesting woody note at the end, but its so much more than that, it just tastes phenomenal, such depth, i wouldn't characterize it as an amber although the color matches and some notes match, its got such hop character and freshness id put it closer to an American pale ale, categorized or not this is frigging delicious
M: smooth, nicely balanced, just the right consistency, not thin or thick just right in the middle, leaves the palate slightly dry, drinks too smooth
O: this is possibly the most drinkable beer ive ever had and its 7.5%, the taste is phenomenal and the balance is unprecedented, i need to go out and buy some more of this before its gone again

4.41/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my trusty snifter...should be using the tulip, but it's dirty...super smudged bottle date, but I see a lot of "2"s so I'm going with a February '12 bottle date.

A: Crystal clear bronze beer with pinkish hues. Steady stream of bubbles. Half finger head dissipates fairly quickly into patchy eggshell islands on top of the beer.

S: Tropical fruits - mango, peach, grapefruit. Big, big citrus/tropical fruit notes...sweet hop notes.

T/M: Nice! This is a big tropical fruit hop bomb. A balanced, sweet bitterness hits you first...fades into all those tropical fruits and finishes with the pine and grapefruit at the end. Smooth wave of caramel malt throughout. Dry finish, crisp, clean tasting beer...moderately carbonated.

O: To me this is a slight variation of Bell's Hopslam...slightly different in color and not quite as pleasing on the palate - a little rougher around the edges. Still a VERY tasty IPA and a beer worth seeking out on the east coast.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured clear deep copper color with 2 finger head.

smells of citrus hops and malty sweetness

taste is amazing,near perfect balance of flavors I don't want to put the beer down to type this review!

mouthfeel is medium creamy, right amount of carbonation.very satisfying.

Overall I think this beer lives up to the hype.I just wish they made more of it. You gotta be quick to get it or it's gone.

4.32/5  rDev 0%

I poured this into a pint glass

Poured a nice amber color with orange/red tones, especially in the head.

Smell is awesome. You can smell this once you open the top. The citrus definitely comes through, and has a nice hop smell.

The taste of this beer is surprising. The malt seems to mellow out the bitterness a bit, and is very refreshing. The citrus comes through pretty strong. Even with the IBU count, the hops do not overwhelm, and there is just the right amount of bitterness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is fairly light considering the ABV. Very crisp.

Overall, this is one of the better Imperial Amber beers i've ever had, and one of the best high IBU beers i've tasted this year. I was a little skeptical about this, but it definitely lives up to the hype i've heard.

4.31/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a pint glass...

A: Amber ruby color, crystal clear. Poured with a two finger foamy, slightly off white head. Head reatined throughout and left beautiful stringy lace.

S: Nice citrus/piney aroma, some tropical fruity tones, maybe some mango or pineapple sweetness with a solid caramel malty back.

T: Good citrus/tropical punch and light pine astringent bitterness, very nice malty sweet backbone to balance the hops.

M: Light bordering medium bodied, crisp, dry, smooth carbonation, little warmth from the alcohol as it goes down.

O: This stuff is damn good. Drinks more like an ipa. Very tasty offering from Troegs.

4.36/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from the bottle into my Portsmouth Brew Snifter Tulip.

Appeared a ruby red, very clear color. It really is a beautiful looking beer. Head is average.

Smells great, definetely some maltiness, honey, and sugars, with a variety of citrusy/piney hops throughout.

Tastes awesome. Very refreshing. I tend to prefer malty IPAs, and this is exactly what I look for in a beer. Very refreshing, very fruity, yet still has a great hop profile to satisfy the bitterness. I love how this beer tastes.

Mouthfeel is good for the style.

Overall NN is one of my favorite brews. I look forward to its release each year. If NN was released year round I can probably say with confidence that it would replace SNPA as my go-to beer that I always have in my fridge.

AWESOME!

3.11/5  rDev -28%

Appearance is amber as indicated. Looks nice with average lacing.

Smell is a subdued sweet hopyness.

Taste is different from what I remember. Not as fruity and seems more on the malt side this time around.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated but kind of uneventfull all the way through.

Overall:I have tried this beer out the last six years and cannot understand all the hype. It is very average this year from what I recall. I just don't get it. The only thing I can think of to be fair is that this beer arrives here being less than it was meant to be. Very dissapointed and won't bother with this anymore. There are much better offerings out there. I think the fact that this beer is seasonal and limited, it adds an unwarranted hype element to it.

Update:3/23/12. Just visited my local guy and they had this on tap for grolwers. Filled it up and hit it as soon as I got home. I must say I may have been right about that 6 pack I based my review on because this tastes really different. Not over the top, but more on Q of how it is usually described on taste. I must say it was much more worthy of some praise beyond this initial review. I found the carbonation and hop forwardness more prevalent here and it makes an impression worth noting.

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%