Tröegs Nugget Nectar | Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Squeeze those hops for all they're worth! Nugget Nectar will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of American hops. Our Imperial Amber Ale is further intensified with whole flower Nugget hops added to our hopback vessel, resulting in an explosion of citrus, resin and pine.

Added by Edwin on 02-13-2004

Ratings: 8,555 |  Reviews: 2,549

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured clear deep copper color with 2 finger head.

smells of citrus hops and malty sweetness

taste is amazing,near perfect balance of flavors I don't want to put the beer down to type this review!

mouthfeel is medium creamy, right amount of carbonation.very satisfying.

Overall I think this beer lives up to the hype.I just wish they made more of it. You gotta be quick to get it or it's gone.

4.32/5  rDev 0%

I poured this into a pint glass

Poured a nice amber color with orange/red tones, especially in the head.

Smell is awesome. You can smell this once you open the top. The citrus definitely comes through, and has a nice hop smell.

The taste of this beer is surprising. The malt seems to mellow out the bitterness a bit, and is very refreshing. The citrus comes through pretty strong. Even with the IBU count, the hops do not overwhelm, and there is just the right amount of bitterness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is fairly light considering the ABV. Very crisp.

Overall, this is one of the better Imperial Amber beers i've ever had, and one of the best high IBU beers i've tasted this year. I was a little skeptical about this, but it definitely lives up to the hype i've heard.

4.31/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a pint glass...

A: Amber ruby color, crystal clear. Poured with a two finger foamy, slightly off white head. Head reatined throughout and left beautiful stringy lace.

S: Nice citrus/piney aroma, some tropical fruity tones, maybe some mango or pineapple sweetness with a solid caramel malty back.

T: Good citrus/tropical punch and light pine astringent bitterness, very nice malty sweet backbone to balance the hops.

M: Light bordering medium bodied, crisp, dry, smooth carbonation, little warmth from the alcohol as it goes down.

O: This stuff is damn good. Drinks more like an ipa. Very tasty offering from Troegs.

4.36/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from the bottle into my Portsmouth Brew Snifter Tulip.

Appeared a ruby red, very clear color. It really is a beautiful looking beer. Head is average.

Smells great, definetely some maltiness, honey, and sugars, with a variety of citrusy/piney hops throughout.

Tastes awesome. Very refreshing. I tend to prefer malty IPAs, and this is exactly what I look for in a beer. Very refreshing, very fruity, yet still has a great hop profile to satisfy the bitterness. I love how this beer tastes.

Mouthfeel is good for the style.

Overall NN is one of my favorite brews. I look forward to its release each year. If NN was released year round I can probably say with confidence that it would replace SNPA as my go-to beer that I always have in my fridge.

AWESOME!

3.11/5  rDev -28%

Appearance is amber as indicated. Looks nice with average lacing.

Smell is a subdued sweet hopyness.

Taste is different from what I remember. Not as fruity and seems more on the malt side this time around.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated but kind of uneventfull all the way through.

Overall:I have tried this beer out the last six years and cannot understand all the hype. It is very average this year from what I recall. I just don't get it. The only thing I can think of to be fair is that this beer arrives here being less than it was meant to be. Very dissapointed and won't bother with this anymore. There are much better offerings out there. I think the fact that this beer is seasonal and limited, it adds an unwarranted hype element to it.

Update:3/23/12. Just visited my local guy and they had this on tap for grolwers. Filled it up and hit it as soon as I got home. I must say I may have been right about that 6 pack I based my review on because this tastes really different. Not over the top, but more on Q of how it is usually described on taste. I must say it was much more worthy of some praise beyond this initial review. I found the carbonation and hop forwardness more prevalent here and it makes an impression worth noting.

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

4.34/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to jmpizzo for sending me this one!

Bottled 2/20/12.

Pours a clear copper/amber with a 1 inch foamy tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks and dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of lots of citrus zest, herbal hops, and some tropical fruit aromas. Taste is super hoppy with citrus zest and tropical fruit flavors up front with a herbal hop quality on the finish. There is a pretty assertive bitterness on the palate after each sip. This beer has a light level of carbonation with a medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer with a wonderful hop presence in the aroma and taste.

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The wait is over...At last, this is my long anticipated, inaugural review of the revered and well-hyped Nugget Nectar...

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 14oz Libbey snifter...bottled on date: Jan. 23, 2012

A- The label lives up to its description...it pours a clear, deep amber/bronze with a frothy, white head approaching 2 fingers in height...really beautiful.

S- Aroma was noticed as soon as the cap was removed. Citrus and sweet tropical fruit are immediate but notes of pine resin quickly follow into the aroma medley.

T- Bitter citrus notes hit the front of the palate with a tacky, resinous finish. Despite the hefty IBU calculation of "93ish," the malt bill keeps the hops in check and maintains a bitter, but not overly astringent character.

O- What is there to say/write? Simply stated, Nugget Nectar lives up to the hype and am ecstatic to have finally had the opportunity to taste/review this seasonal offering.

->Why does it seem that the best brews always happen to be seasonal offerings (Lagunitas, Founders, Troegs, Dogfish Head all come to mind)? Well, Nugget Nectar certainly falls into this category...get it while you can (I mean, bottle).

Tröegs Nugget Nectar from Tröegs Brewing Company