Tröegs DreamWeaver Wheat | Tröegs Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Tröegs DreamWeaver WheatTröegs DreamWeaver Wheat

Tröegs Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: Hefeweizen

The dream begins with open top fermentation. At high krausen a foamy, rocky yeast head crests the sides of the fermenter releasing notes of black pepper and spicy clove. Unfiltered and cloudy with yeast, it's slightly tart & downright refreshing.

55% Wheat
Hops: German Northern Brewer

Added by blitheringidiot on 06-25-2004

Reviews: 647 | Ratings: 1,940
4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

pours hazy and gold with ample suds

aromas are pungently spicy, with little fruit character to speak of. lots of clove and maybe pepper.

taste is lush and creamy with spicy esters creeping into the sinuses again..

mouthfeel is quite nice. not a real heavy wheat but not thin either.

a very distinctive wheat beer from an american brewery, like the style a lot. would not mind more of this.

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from the bottle into a Pilsner glass.

A - partly cloudy golden yellow with a two-finger fluffy white head. Not much lacing left on the glass, though my dishwasher hasn't been working too great lately so that might be the culprit. Bubbles rise from the bottom like champagne.

S - fruity esters, banana, citrus, orange. Nothing to write home about.

T - Strong banana and clove flavors from the yeast's effects up front. Spicy notes from the hops are present, with a nice, dry, tangy finish. Hints of golden raisins and herbs are present as well. Tastes better than it smells. This is one of the most boldly flavored American wheat beers I've had, which is great! Often they leave me wanting more ester and hop flavor.

M - great carbonation, better body than the vast majority in its style, and a slightly slick mouthfeel.

D - highly drinkable. Drink one, and you'll want more!

3.25/5  rDev -14%

From a bottle into my trusty standard Troeg's pint glass. Pours a hazy gold with a modest head and some residual lacing. Not an unattractive beer in any way.

Smell is wheat and citrus with minimal hops. Not overpowering at all, very pleasant.

Taste is a little weak for my taste, but pretty much a classic wheat beer.

Mouthfeel is crisp but smooth.

Drinkability is fine at this ABV, could see myself with a couple of these on a warm summer evening.

Another very nice beer from the Trogner brothers.

4.36/5  rDev +15.3%

12oz bottle poured into a perfect pint.

Appearance- cloudy hazy, yellow. Decent head with decent retention. Not golden. Actually yellow. Some lacing. A nice amount of yeast sediment to pour into the glass.

Aroma- sweet and yeasty, but not fruity...or at least not a specific fruit that I can pinpoint. Mild spicy, herbal undertones.

Taste- absolutely delicious. Refreshing. May be the most balanced wheat beer that I've ever had. Yeasty and malty at the same time. Wonderful.

Overall- at present time, this may be my absolute favorite wheat beer ever. Absolutely delicious. Too bad I acquired in trade, because I am unable to acquire it locally. Damn. Would without a doubt buy again.

3.2/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured this one with all of the yeast into a tumbler. Typical look for style, straw colored and cloudy with a decent 1-finger whitish head.
Smelled earthy and slightly spicy. No fruit smell like a hefeweizen, just yeast. First taste was very yeasty and bitter with some clovey sspiciness in the background. Mouthfeel was on the creamy side aand fairly smooth. Drinkability was OK for me as I prefer a few oothers of this style ahead of this one. Still a solid brew when a wheat is in order.

3.47/5  rDev -8.2%

A - Started to pour it vigorously, but then it kinda got out of hand. Has a very large bubbly, carbonated head, but no lacing on the glass after it disappears. Never really had many wheat beers, so this is a new experience for me.

S - Smells very bready, like a buttery sesame-y kind of bread. Not very stong, but definitely there. Almost smells sugary in a sense. Not a bad smell by any means overall.

T - The first thing I notice is an almost stinging citrus blast. Like a beered up lemonade. Very carbonated, sort of frothy. Has an aftertaste of orange, lemon, yeast, and a little bit of hoppyness. Aftertaste is like a sweet honey-like sugaryness. Honey nut bread comes to mind, with a hint of nectar and citrus. Fairly tasty, but I've never been one to reach for a wheat beer, when given the choice of several more favorable styles.

M - Very light, like one of those lemon-lime sodas. Bubbly and very carbonated, it really doesn't feel like a beer at all! Does leave some foam behind in the mouth after it's gone, but don't most beers of this style? I dunno man...

O - Not bad, not bad. Not my favorite style, but okay for what it is. Seems like it would make a good session beer, but the heavy wheat influence makes it very filling, which makes for a bad session beer.

4.37/5  rDev +15.6%

Thanks to Jason for sneaking this into Mass.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a perfect pint glass.

Cloudy yellow haze. Looks like an UFW should I guess. Thin white head.

I know it cam from Pennsylvania, but it smells like a German hefe. Strong scents of banana and spices. Maybe cinnamon. Something I can't put my finger on is very nice about the aroma.

The taste does not disappoint. The bananas are there, along with cloves and some spice notes that compliment the fruit flavor quite nicely. Yeasty with a slight sour bite to it. Very impressive.

Feels full and thick, which I never really expect from a light colored brew, but is always quite welcome. Seemed to show carbonation throughout, but tasted very smooth and not too bubbly.

Finish is nice and balanced. Very drinkable. I wish I had more than one of these. A very impressive brew.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Wow. Tröegs has been kicking some A lately! Bottled 01/18/2011

Poured 3/4 into a glass, swirled the rest, and poured. Went from a clear, pale gold to a nice, cloudy gold with delicious foam.

Smell is what a wheat beer should be. Citrus and wheat.

Taste is what a wheat beer should be. Slightly sweet, citrus and wheat. It also has a rich, full mouthfeel all the way around. This brew is also one that goes down well and with ease, so I find it quite drinkable.

Personally, I find this brew to be almost exceptional given it's almost perfect taste, but I would love to see a double wheat beer by them.

Cheers

4.16/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance: Pours a very pale golden color. Cloudy, but not too cloudy for an unfiltered wheat beer. Very little head and what there is dissipates quickly.

Aroma: Spicy with lemon in the background. I picked up on coriander and cloves.

Taste: A bit citrusy with a good amount of spice mixed in. Very nice and refreshing. I thought the spices were very present but not overpowering. In fact, I thought all the different flavors present complemented each other wonderfully.

Mouthfeel: Light and very carbonated. I normally wouldn't say that wheat beers should be heavily carbonated, but it works with this one.

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Pours a nice rich yellow color. Cloudy and unfiltered with a nice white head. Barely any lacing. 4.0

S - Nice fruity smell with hints of orange, apple, bubblegum, and banana. 4.0

T - Sweet and slightly spicy, with hints of clove at the beginning. Slightly bitter and hoppy at the end. Fairly balanced but a bit watery in the middle...it's hard to describe what it's missing, but it's definitely noticeable. 3.5

M - Smooth with a slight carbonation tingle. I wish there was a bit more carbonation or spiciness, though I can't say exactly what is missing. The mouthfeel is just a bit too mild. 3.5

O - Troegs' DreamWeaver is a decently built Hefeweizen. It's incredibly drinkable and nice to look at. The flavor is a bit on the light side, as well as the mouthfeel. I could drink pint after pint of this beer easily, but on its own at a beer tasting I think it wouldn't stand out as much as some other beers. 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

Served out of a 12 oz bottle and into a pilsner glass.
Appearance-yellow, lots of carbonation, unfiltered with yeast floating, very cloudy.
Smell-smells of banana's and yeast.
Taste- notes of banana bread, very tart, can taste the yeast coming through.
Mouthfell-tart
Overall-Not a bad wheat beer but far from exceptional either. Troegs is a great brewery but this is not one of their best.

4.12/5  rDev +9%

Poured into Hefeweizen glass, swirled and added lees. Clear for a wheat beer, small white head.
Smells of fresh yeast, and white grape juice, a little strange fruitiness that I associate with a Hitachino Red Rice Ale.
Fruity apple onset with hints of fig and some white grape, a little cinnamon. Medium dry wheat flavoring fades out. Quaint yeast presence. Very lively in the mouth, flavor keeps me exited and wanting more. No overpowering floral flavors I get in some American Wheat’s.
Probably the best American Wheat I have had to date. Not something that would stand up to a good Hefeweizen, but a bit more refreshing and an interesting take on a wheat beer.

4.04/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into my Mug from a bottle from the troegs sampler pack. Beer poured a nice straw color with minimal head. Cloudy, as a wheat beer should be.

Smells very nice and fruity, grapefruit like smells are what come to mind with me. Banana and Spice smells are here too.

Tastes good! Has a nice malty flavor, which quickly leads to a wheat after taste. Very nice.

Very light on the mouth, so light it makes you want to have another!

VERY drinkable, very sessionable as well. Low ABV means have another!

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

I am surprised that this is only a B+ overall on the site. Myself and my friends all agree it is the best offering from Troegs.

Great appearance. A bit cloudy but not chunky. Nice smell that pairs very well with the taste. It also has the perfect amount of ABV in it, so this one can go down...and down...and down.

4.12/5  rDev +9%

This is a 12 oz. bottle from a mix and match six pack. The beer pours a cloudy pale gold color, almost strawlike. It is a very striking color. An inch thick head formed in the glass, but quickly dissipated, so nothing too special going on there.

My nose can detect wheat, banana, citrus, clove, lemon, and some other spices that I can't quite put my finger on. All in all, the aroma is very pleasing. The smells all blend well together. I hope the taste can live up to it.

In the mouth and down the hatch, as always, is where things get interesting. This wheat beer is surprisingly heavy in the mouth, and retains a creamy consistency. The flavor of the beer is a bit more subdued that I expected, but I'm not going to say that's a bad thing. Aside from an assertive banana aftertaste (with a touch of apple), no flavor overpowers any other. There is a real sense of harmony across the wheats, fruits, and spices. This is a unique beer in my experience with American Wheats.

Since the flavor is a bit low-key, I wouldn't drink this after I have had anything else. I'm not implying a lack of complexity, because this beer has plenty to keep me entertained through a sixer with a fellow BA. This is a great beer if you want the crisp taste of a wheat beer, but don't want to be bludgeoned with any one flavor. As usual, Troegs has dropped a well balanced and rock solid example of a beer style. I'll definitely be looking/hoping for this to be available by the case for this spring and summer. Cheers!

3.86/5  rDev +2.1%

Another growler from the tour at Troegs.

A: Opaque in the center with some haze on the outsides of the glass. A nice bright yellow that poured with three fingers of head that never totally disappeared. Really awesome lacing.

S: Orange peel, some lemon and some earthy tones.

T: Follows the nose. Orange and lemon right away that fades into a sweet bready taste. Finishes pretty dry and leaves orange peel on the back of the palate.

M: I like the mouthfeel but for a hefe its a little thick. Due in part to the unfiltered nature of the beer, which is something I like a lot.

O: Solid beer, definitely would be great on a hot day. Another solid entry from Troegs.

Looks good, thick golden. Aroma is as expected, more or less citrisy yeast. Taste is in line with the style, nothing remarkable but solid enough. Motuhfeel is nice, very crisp. Good feel for warm weather. Easy to drink, though likely better in the summer. Have not had another wheat beer in some time so not sure how it compares.

3.28/5  rDev -13.2%

A- poured into a pint glass quite clearly until I got down to the wheat dregs which swirled in the bottle then poured into the glass came out a thick and cloudy color that blended slowly to cloud up the clear color into the frosty yellow we expect from an unfiltered wheat.

S- Not very complex, but a pleasant sweet wheat scent-- a little spicy and clean.

T- A little less complex and clean than I was hoping from this beer. The wheat taste dominates, very little hops until the finish which is nice, but not overwhelming. A slight fruit taste -- maybe banana -- and a little bit of a cinnamon or clove.

M- One of my favorite characteristics of most wheats is the thick mouthfeel. This one's a bit watery for me... not terrible, but a bit disappointing after seeing the sediment scatter throughout the beer. Still-- not unpleasant but not as satisfying as I'd like.

D- Not a bad summer bear, as I mentioned, the mouthfeel is a bit lacking in my opinion. I'd have trouble being satisfied with this as a session beer, but definitely not a bad wheat

3.59/5  rDev -5%

The first thing I noticed is how cloudy the beer is, maybe the cloudiest I have ever seen. You can even see chunks of wheat and what not floating around. It is a very murky yellow, like pineapple juice. There is minimal head, a weak retention, and not much lacing.

The initial waft of smells is dominated by a banana aroma. It is backed by a wheaty or bready undertone. The taste is very similar. It is noticeably sweet, like banana bread.

Light body with moderate carbonation. A bit of a chalky feel. Overall, it tastes like a weak hefeweizen to me (I wonder why they classify it as a wheat beer?). It's not undrinkable though, as I still enjoyed it. It was a hot day and my AC was on the fritz, and this beer made the situation survivable.

3.4/5  rDev -10.1%

A: Yellow, cloudy. One-finger head.

T: On tap at the brewery, it tasted like a banana-flavored beer. I thought it was one of the best at the brewery. In the bottle, I can detect bananas and cloves very clearly. They're remarkably well pronounced.

M: Not thin and crisp; not thick and heavy. I don't know what that's called.

D: I had one, and it was good but enough.

Overall: I don't think I'd buy it again. It was good on draft but not as good in the bottles. So I don't think I'd recommend it either. But I'll try it again when I go the brewery to compare.

3.8/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer has a cloudy golden body with a tall but quickly dissapating head. Theres a strong nose of pepper and coriander supported by a wheaty biscuty malt profile. It starts out tart then moves back and forth through a biscuty almost bready malts and spices. Ending a bit clean on the pallete. Enjoyable.

3.71/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a cloudy, gold body with an inch of foamy, white head. A great looking wheat beer. Smells real wheaty here. Dreamweaver is definitely balls out on the bananas. Subtle spiciness in the background lurking, but aftertaste is again all bananas. A great blend of malts and a very passive yeast is noticable. It's light and easy to sip many of these heading into the summer season. Troegs seems to make all around thorough brews and although this isn't my favorite style of beer, this is a solid example of the Hefeweizen.

3.8/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured a cloudy straw color with a 1 finger head that disippated quickly and left minimal lacing.

Smells of clove/wheat/spice/banana

Taste is of wheat spice with a hint of mint and some banana that stays in the nose.

A pretty light medium/high carbonated smooth beer that finishes clean. It is a good spring and summer brew. It definitely has its own unique flavor that sets it apart.

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Received as an extra in a trade from StormKing47.. thanks! Poured into a pint glass and enjoyed with dinner.

A: Pours a hazy yellow, which makes sense considering it's unfiltered. Swirled the last 1/4 of beer into the bottle to activate the yeast, then the pour resulted in a nice 1 inch white head.

S: Grainy, of course, but a nice touch of fruit in the nose.. lemon and possibly banana. A little bit of spice, as well.

T: I get some clove along with some lemon right off the bat. A strong wheat backbone creates a nice balance of flavor.

M: Well-carbonated and very light.

D: Fairly drinkable. Very enjoyable on a warm summer night. I would come back to this one.

A - the appearance if that of an average wheat beer - cloudy, gold/hay color but - with an unremarkable head that dissolves quickly.

S - light and citrusy with a bit of "zing."

T/M/D - this one feels a bit thin on the tongue, without much breadiness. The taste is similarly light, with a slightly sour note aside the citrusy flavor. I'd call this one about average.

Tröegs DreamWeaver Wheat from Tröegs Brewing Company