Tröegs DreamWeaver Wheat | Tröegs Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Tröegs DreamWeaver WheatTröegs DreamWeaver Wheat

Tröegs Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: Hefeweizen

The dream begins with open top fermentation. At high krausen a foamy, rocky yeast head crests the sides of the fermenter releasing notes of black pepper and spicy clove. Unfiltered and cloudy with yeast, it's slightly tart & downright refreshing.

55% Wheat
Hops: German Northern Brewer

Added by blitheringidiot on 06-25-2004

Reviews: 649 | Ratings: 1,950
4.27/5  rDev +12.7%

Bought a case of mixed Troegs from Kunda in Philly/King of Prussia. Dreamweaver was one of the four.
I have been seeking out Wheat beers as it is one of my favorite styles. I had low expectations, but this one was a great suprise. All the flavor of a good hefeweisen, and at a great price.
Appearance: Cloudy pale yellow
Smell: Banana, spice, yeast. Yes, smells like a hefeweisen.
Taste: quite delicious. Spice, slightly sweet.
Mouthfeel: Mild carbonation, smooth
Drinkability: Very!

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

"I've just closed my eyes again
Climbed aboard the Dream Weaver train
Driver take away my worries of today
And leave tomorrow behind"

--from 'Dream Weaver' by Gary Wright

Foggy lemon peel beneath a three finger ivory head. The quality crown is persisting nicely, despite the fact that there's very little visible carbonation. Delicate, lace-like lace is beginning to adhere to the glass, giving DreamWeaver a wonderful overall look.

One whiff is all it takes to tell me that this is a hefe weizen, not a pale wheat. Classic aromas of fruit and spice burst from the glass and get my hopes up for the tongue soaking to come. I'm glad the brewery didn't waste a great name on what is often a lackluster style (APWA).

Troegs has provided DW with the most important ingredient of all, an ingredient that should ensure its success: a hefe weizen yeast strain that is uber-estery. Bushel basketfuls of banana, copious amounts of clove and more than a pinch of pepper zing this way and that, tantalizing the taste buds at every turn.

I could do with a fraction more malt (and malty sweetness), but don't mind the Saaz hop bite one bit. If you're looking for an immensely flavorful session beer, and are lucky enough to live in the brewery's distribution area, this would be a great place to start. Kudos to the Troegs brothers for making it a year-round offering.

The mouthfeel is good, but there's room for improvement. It needs a little more heft and a little more mouthfilling creaminess in order to join the rest of the beer's attributes. The silver lining is that it increases drinkability in what is already an immensely drinkable beer.

It's been a while since I've had anything from Troegs. I'm reminded that they brew all sorts of styles and do a pretty damn good job with just about all of them. DreamWeaver Wheat is solid beer from a solid brewery.

3.57/5  rDev -5.8%

This beer poured a hazy yellow color with a thick head. The aroma is sour and floral. The taste is sweet, sour and cereal – wheat is definitely noticeable. The flavors aren’t strong, but they are nicely balanced. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and seems to fit the brew well. Overall, this is a good wheat offering that I’d say is easy to drink.

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle into a pint glass. No indication of freshness. Purchased cold at Fathead’s in Pittsburgh, PA.
A: Pours a golden-straw color that appears lighter towards the bottom. When I bring the glass to my mouth to drink, I can see right through the beer to the bottom of the glass. There were a couple small dollops of sediment left in the bottle that I poured into the sink. A very thin level of head appeared quickly and disappeared just as quickly, leaving little lacing. The carbonation is rampant in this brew; I can see it racing up from the bottom and bubbling out at the top.
S: Overall, the best term for the smell of this beer is “beery.” There are strong citrus notes that lead the way ahead of some subtly mixed subtle yeast and piney hop scents.
T: The citrus flavors and slightly hoppier notes hit first. The mild fruitiness persists as the taste melds into an overall yeastier taste. It’s pretty smooth overall, with an occasional bitter, pilsner-like nip towards the finish, depending on how big the sips/gulps are.
M: Certainly refreshing. Not watery, but definitely on the lighter side; perfect for a hot night like tonight. Feels smooth in the mouth and after swallowing. Nice.
D: Pretty good. The aftertaste was not what I expected from a wheat beer. And overall, it was less fruity/sugary than I expected from this style, too. Otherwise, a drinkable, refreshing beer.
Overall, I enjoyed this beer and will look for more offerings from Troegs. This is a unique version of the Wheat Beer style, with some tastes/effects I hadn’t encountered in this style before. A brew worth investigating.

3.82/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Obtained in a variety case from a distributor (just moved to Philly and I am hating these stupid beer laws).

Pours a hazy straw color with a tiny head.

Lemon, apple, banana, and spicy hops in the nose.

Starts bready-a lot like banana bread. This is immediately overtaken with tart and lemony flavors. Mild floral component. Very low level of bitterness.

Light and airy mouthfeel. Highly consumable.

Appearance- Nice hazy yellow color with an inch of white haed.

Smell- Strong wheat smell with a hint of fruits

Taste- Nice wheat taste with a hint of fruits.

Mouthfeel- Light body with lots of carbonation.

Drinkability- It wasn't a bad beer. It had nice fruit taste. I've had better.

3.57/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a slightly murky, dull gold color with some brighter bits at the edges. No head. Fairly vibrant aroma of cloves and bananas, with some sulphur and mildew cropping up as the beer warms. On the palate, brisk acidity and carbonation pair up initially, with some pears and bananas coming out and then a nicely creamy spice note at the midway point. Hops come out a bit in the mid-palate and more toward the finish, which thins out into wateryness too quickly. Light, grainy aftertaste. Mouthfeel is appropriate for the style -- light and brisk. Overall, this is a good example of an American wheat ale.

3.54/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A constant, even, small off-white head on a tawny, medium yellow body--unfiltered? perhaps...lemony crisp with hints of malt in the nostril...swift, dry soft palate with a backsliding mouthfeel, briefly malty in the finish...overall, crisp and pleasant, especially after being tested on a hot summer’s eve deck in New Jersey....

4.22/5  rDev +11.3%

Two bottles poured into a 24 oz weizen glass; from a very fresh case bottled just two weeks ago.

Classic look of a hefe, though not as substantial a head as I would have liked.

Excellent aroma. Strong banana, clove, black pepper, and yeast.

I do not agree with this beer being listed as an American pale wheat ale, as it is a clear cut hefe weizen in my book. It stands out as one of the better American micro hefes I've had to date which is quite a complement. I guess the thing that pushes it into the American wheat ale category is the fact that it does have some light hops, however they simply form a very subtle bitter undertone which complements the black pepper and other spices quite well.

Obviously as with almost any hefe or wheat ale it is very drinkable.

3.97/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a hazy gold with minimal head and modest carbonation.

Clove, lemon, and faint banana nose.

Taste echoes the nose with the banana becoming more pronounced. As I ponder, very reminiscent of Hoegaarden.

Mouthfeel is crisp and light, this style seems torn at times between being a Wit and/or a Hefe.

Drinkable, yes. But my initial impression remains - Witbier.

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

Big thanks from leftmindedrighty for this tasty brew. This is my first going around with a Tröegs brew and I can’t wait to try it. Drank from a regular ol’ pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a murky dirty yellow with a off-white foamy head with relatively short life. Holds a nice collar that is supported by the very effervescent bubbling that continues long after the pour. Zero lacing.
Smell- Has a nice wheaty mustiness to it. Lot’s of clove and banana yeasty aroma here that is very Hef like.
Taste- Lots of clove and banana. Has a very tasty yeast mustiness with hints of bubble gum and cotton candy. Kind of a tart, dry citrusy finish that lingers on the tongue.
Mouthfeel- Very light, almost watery. Very strong carbonation but not in a totally bad way.
Drinkability- This beer is pretty tasty. It reminds me of the Hef that they brew in a local restaurant. Good summer beer but more Hef like than a regular unfiltered wheat.

3.97/5  rDev +4.7%

Hazy and murky in appearance. Small white head on top. Big yeasty and spicy aroma-a lot of banana and clove-most I think I have seen in a US wheat. Very full of banana and clove flavors with a nice hint of black pepperyness to it. Decent body-very crisp and clean in the finish. A decent effort for sure. Once again probably my least favorite style but I think I find myself really getting used to it. I dont think I would buy it for myself but would definatley NOT turn my nose at one.

3.97/5  rDev +4.7%

Cloudy yellow color with very thin scim of foam left as a cap. Smell of banana and a faint pepper. Nice yeasty note as expected. Taste follows suit. Nice wheat tone up front, banana in the middle and a spicey finish. Smooth solid mouthfeel. A very flavorful beer and as expected another quality brew from Troegs.

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%

Extra thanks to leftmindedrighty for this extra.

A: Pours a hazy yellow with a moderate bubbly head that quickly subsides. Very little lacing.

S: Estery and phenolic with a smell predominently of cloves. Smells a bit musty.

T: Strong wheat taste with a moderate bitterness and a subtle citrus flavor. The finish provides an odd toffee-like flavor that seems a bit out of place in this beer.

M: Quite light in body with lots of carbonation. A coarse, grainy texture.

D: This one is okay. A very nice summer beer, but one that I may grow tired of quickly due to the somewhat odd flavor.

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%

Clear... Pale straw. Small white head gone quickly. Smells, well, like a wheat beer. That's helpful, huh? Tastes... Like a light wheat beer - gently sweet, spicy (mostly clove). Good stuff on a hot summer day - hits the spot right on. Crisp, clean, no nasty aftertaste...

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a nice, cloudy straw color with about a finger of white head that quickly dissipates leaving little lacing. Aroma is very pleasant, smells a bit peppery with cloves, yeast, and the slightest hint of bananas. Tastes quite complex with a nice spicyness and is slightly tart. Nice mouthfeel, light in body, a bit creamy, moderate carbonation. Good drinkability, very sessionable, excellent for a hot summer's day.

3.89/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a hazy 18 karat gold color, with a one finger head. Poor retention and no lace. Kinda odd for a wheat beer.

Aroma is deliciously ester-y. Great bubblegum and clove aromas make this smell much more like a German wheat than an American one...

Flavor is also quite nice. Small amount of tart wheat presence, with a great yeast presence. Again bubblegum and clove are prevalent, but this also picks up a slight citrus flavor as well. Tiny amount of sulfur like esters on the finish. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing, drinkability is great.

Quite a nice wheat beer from Troegs. They almost always produce a quality brew, and at a very reasonable price. This is no exception. Recommended

3.79/5  rDev 0%

Pours out a cloudy light orange straw with a white head. Looks a lot like a wit.

Smell. I get a nice amount of bananas here with the yeast, and some bubble gum. Smells very much like a hefe.

Taste. A light and crisp flavor comes out, small banana and a touch of citrus. Aftertaste i get a small taste of nutmeg. Again, a very similar to a hefe.

Mouthfeel. Body is a touch thin and watery. Carbonation is certainly there, but is light. works well.

Overall, on of the best in the style that i have tried, but i like it because it reminds me of a hefe. Seems to have a lighter body any the german counterpart, giving it a nice refreshing quality to it. One i enjoy, but i would not spend the $12 the store was asking for the sixpack.

3.28/5  rDev -13.5%

A- poured into a pint glass quite clearly until I got down to the wheat dregs which swirled in the bottle then poured into the glass came out a thick and cloudy color that blended slowly to cloud up the clear color into the frosty yellow we expect from an unfiltered wheat.

S- Not very complex, but a pleasant sweet wheat scent-- a little spicy and clean.

T- A little less complex and clean than I was hoping from this beer. The wheat taste dominates, very little hops until the finish which is nice, but not overwhelming. A slight fruit taste -- maybe banana -- and a little bit of a cinnamon or clove.

M- One of my favorite characteristics of most wheats is the thick mouthfeel. This one's a bit watery for me... not terrible, but a bit disappointing after seeing the sediment scatter throughout the beer. Still-- not unpleasant but not as satisfying as I'd like.

D- Not a bad summer bear, as I mentioned, the mouthfeel is a bit lacking in my opinion. I'd have trouble being satisfied with this as a session beer, but definitely not a bad wheat

3.92/5  rDev +3.4%

12oz. bottle

Pours a hazy pale straw color with a small white head that maintains. Medium lacing on the glass.

Nice yeasty aroma with distinct banana and vanilla. Light cloviness is also present.

Nice yeasty flavors upfront with a tasty blend of banana and vanilla. Some clove appears right at the finish and lingers slightly as it finishes quite clean.

Light body, medium carbonation.

This beer is an exception to the "rule" of bland American pale wheat beers. It actually has some nice wheat beer characteristics and is very easy to drink - especially in the warm weather. The fresher it is, the better it is.

2.62/5  rDev -30.9%

Looks like a standard Hefe Weizen, pale yellow in color, a buttery look to it. Smell was dominated by banana, but also had other citrus fruits (orange, lemon), and a yeasty smell. I enjoyed the smell, I just wished the complexity of the smell came out in the taste, which I found to be pretty unimpressiveoverall. I could taste the wheat and the bready flavors, plus a little bit on tangy citrus, but it was all so watered down. When the beer first hit my mouth, I could get almost nothing out of it. The only way I picked up on the flavors was from the faint aftertaste. Drinkable, but I think there are a lot better examples of this type of beer out there.

3.53/5  rDev -6.9%

Nice wheat beer. Didn't notice any chunks floating in it, but poured a nice hazy straw color. White half inch head, faded down to covering of the glass. Left good lacing. Aroma was a bit lacking. Always expecting something to perk up the nose with a wheat beer. Taste was pretty good. This is a good average wheat beer. Wheat / yeast and slight lemony taste. Astringent, Flavorful. Nice, light mouthfeel, not watery and no unpleasant aftertaste. This one is quite drinkable. A pitcher on a warm summer day with friends would be something to look forward to.

3.74/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: cloudy yellow, the huge (3+ fingers) recedes quickly but leaves a very nice lacing.

Smell: Citrusy and spicy, but not nearly as aromatic as the most recent beers that I've tried (from the Samuel Adams LongShot series). I also get a smell like apple pie (which I'm going to say is at least partly from the yeast).

Taste: I get a lot of citrus flavours as well as some banana and yeast. I enjoy this beer it would be perfect to drink on a hot summer day.

Mouthfeel: Light mouthfeel, not thin though. This beer feels good as I drink it.

Drinkability: I wouldn't have a problem drinking this all night it is a tasty and refreshing wheat.

Notes: I enjoy this wheat very much, but it isn't my favourite that I've ever had. This is a style that I didn't care for when I originally tried it, but have recently gained a taste for, and DreamWeaver is one of the beers that made me realize what I'd been missing.

3.98/5  rDev +5%

Having only ever had Nugget Nectar and Mad Elf, I wanted to see what a more standard Tröegs offering was like. Owing to my recent wheat beer craze, I grabbed this when I saw it.

APPEARANCE: Pours a hazy golden yellow orange color. It took some coaxing to get some of the yeast sediment out. A half inch pillowy white head formed, but dropped to a robust collar and thin haze of foam.

SMELL: Smells very light and fairly yeasty. The neutral yeast doesn't lend itself to producing many foreign flavors and aromas, so the smell is pretty much wheat and yeast. No significant hop aroma to speak of.

TASTE: The taste is pretty neutral and has nothing to disguise what's in this beer - wheat. A modest spicy hop bitterness comes in at the start, though not intensely enough to really showcase itself. It fits perfectly in the background. The finish is a bit pungent with a lurking hop bitterness, but clean. I know the style doesn't feature it, but traditional German banana flavors are vaguely present.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium to thin bodied and perfect in my opinion. It could use some more carbonation evidenced by the now almost non-existent head.

DRINKABILITY: There is absolutely nothing wrong with this beer. Though it may not impress anyone, it's great for having a few while sitting on the back porch or getting together with friends. I'm very nearly done mine now and am wishing I had another.

How lucky I am to have local access to a fine brewery like Tröegs. After this beer, I'll be seeking out their other more standard offerings on a more regular basis. That doesn't mean I'll be giving away the Nugget Nectar in my fridge though.

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

A- nice cloudy wheat beer color with white head and great retention.

S- citrus and wheat. some yeast too.

T- citrus, yeast, and wheat. Nice fit for the style. good yeasty aftertaste with some hops.

M- high carbonation and light body. the carbonation burns the lips.

D- yes this is very drinkable. Troeg's is a great brewery and this is a good example.

Tröegs DreamWeaver Wheat from Tröegs Brewing Company