Tröegs DreamWeaver Wheat | Tröegs Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Tröegs DreamWeaver WheatTröegs DreamWeaver Wheat

Tröegs Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: Hefeweizen

The dream begins with open top fermentation. At high krausen a foamy, rocky yeast head crests the sides of the fermenter releasing notes of black pepper and spicy clove. Unfiltered and cloudy with yeast, it's slightly tart & downright refreshing.

55% Wheat
Hops: German Northern Brewer

Added by blitheringidiot on 06-25-2004

Ratings: 1,954 |  Reviews: 651
4.8/5  rDev +26.6%

Cloudy white wit-like appearance with a nice full creamy white head and good carbonation. Distinct clove, bubblegum, and banana aroma and flavors. Definitely fits the Bavarian hefeweizen profile. Very nice balanced fruit/spice yeastiness. Medium bodied, creamy and smooth; very refreshing solid brew.

Very nice summer brew that I plan on getting more of !

Per TBC website: 4.8% ABV. 15 IBU.
Malts: Pilsner and Vienna.
Hops: Saaz

Bottled: 06/20/06
Tasted: 07/06/06

($1.49 / 12 oz.)

4.8/5  rDev +26.6%

Had a great experience on my trip to troegs today, so happy this place is within an hour of my house

poured this into a pint glass, had a 1" head that disipated quickly. Cloudy hef style with alight wheat and citrus smell, dipped my nose right into this one. Has a slight orange overtone to the wheat flavor. Very smooth brew that I could sit and drink for hours, this is def on my tip 5 favorite list, you want to introduce someone to craft beers give them this...big thanks to troegs for producing a great beer

4.79/5  rDev +26.4%

I am not a fan of the style, bottle try some anyway since hefe beer is better than none! CANs soon, I promise.

From the bottle: "DreamWeaver Wheat is an unfiltered splash of spicy mouthwatering joy. Pour 3/4 of the bottle into a glass, swirl the bottle to invigorate the yeast and pour remainder down the center of the glass." Cool, it comes with directions since everybody tells me I need more direction in life.

I got a finger of fluffy bone-white head from my pour and then it suddenly fell like a souffle when someone bangs the oven door shut. Color was a VERY cloudy orangish-yellow, like fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. Nose was as advertised - spicy, specifically clove forward with undertones of the banana/bubble gum esters that usually put me off in a big way. The clove-forward smell is achieved by fermenting hefe yeast at lager temperatures and I had not realized that homeboys John & Chris were doing this with theirs or I would have been drinking a lot more of it a lot sooner. Mouthfeel was not quite full, but close, and the clove spiciness was like the Clove Life Savers that I was (seemingly) the only person who liked them. For our more modern and hip users, think clove cigarettes. I once made an air freshener out of an orange by sticking cloves into it in the shape of a smiley face. Yay, cloves! This was joy in a bottle. Frankly, I did not really experience the banana/bubble gum nonsense that so thoroughly puts me off. Finish was pretty dry for the style, given its intense spice but I was down with it. More please, Mssrs. Musselman and Yashinsky.

4.78/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.77/5  rDev +25.9%

Thank you Troegs for not forgetting about your western PA brethran, thanks to a tip from beergeek279 and cupbeerman I found this one flowing on draft at Fathead's a bar a seem to love more and more with each visit. Appearance: Slightly cloudy or a milky peach hue on a golden body would be a better way to describe it, forms with a decent sized head leaving behind random scattered chunks of lace. Aroma: Spicy mix with touch of coriander, packed with loads of creamy banana esters and clove tones from the yeast used here, very nice. Taste: Takes on a banana smoothie like presence with the spices and clove complementing the sweet malted wheats in this brew. It's Oberon with balls basically possibly one of the best wheat ales I've ever tasted very very quaffable. Mouthfeel: Light medium body, with even carbonation creamy texture smooth as all hell. Drinkability: Excellent summer session but I wouldn't pass on it anytime of the year, this one should definitely make it's way to the Troeg's regular lineup which as of now lacks any wheat based beers.

4.77/5  rDev +25.9%

Loved this beer!! Pours with a light amber dark yellow color, Smell light with fruit fragrance, Pours with a nice heads that dosen't diminish too quickly, just enough carbonation. Taste was terrific not to heavy not to light. Very flavorful beer, just sweet enough.

Bought as a multi pack but didn't get to the others, finshed the four that came with it.

Wonderful wheat beer, probablt the best I have had.

4.77/5  rDev +25.9%

Poured into a pint glass. This was the last of the Troegs I was trying from the sampler case purchased recently.

A: A cloudy unfiltered yellowish gold body. A bright white foam head. Foam head dissipated quickly.

S: A spicy smell of clove and coriander with a hint of citrus.

T: Initial taste gets a citrus flavor, but the spice flavor of clover and cinnaman are apparent. Very prevalent is the wheat taste as well (obviously right?)

M: Medium body beer. Leaves a spicy flavor in the mouth and on the tongue.

D: I enjoyed this wheat beer and could enjoy multiple in one sitting.

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

Excellent wheat style beer very similar to Hoegarden grand cru

4.73/5  rDev +24.8%

4.65/5  rDev +22.7%

4.64/5  rDev +22.4%

This beer pours a cloudy pale yellow body with a thick slightly muted white head.

Nose is simply amazing. Pure German Weis beer. Extremely strong yeast, banana, clove, lemon citrus peel, tropical fruit, wheat and even some caramel malt smells. Wow... this is an American wheat? Smells like beers I had in Munich.

Taste follows right all the same lines as the nose. Light to medium bodied with a nice wheat beer viscosity. Wheaty and yeasty, with the perfect classic german wheat yeast strain. Again, lots of fruit, bubble gum, cloves, coriander, spices, lemon, some other tropic citrus fruits. Hops are kept to bare minimum, and only poke through to balance either the spices or malt background. Ends with a lingering wheat/yeast kick.

With the exception of some Brewpub wheats, this is hands down the best bottled American wheat beer I have ever had. I might actually prefer this is over some German staples like paulaner. Most american wheats under represent the malt and overdo the hops. This is in perfect balance. Damn.

4.63/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice beer that tastes of banana and spice. A good head that remains throughout and the beer maintains a solid, albeit medium yellow appearance. A wheat beer that I prefer during the colder months, less so in the hot summer months.

4.62/5  rDev +21.9%

This was a great wheat beer. Nice hazy deep straw/sun color, with copper hints, good head and lacing for a wheat ale. Great scent, hints of pepper, mostly banana, nice straw/wheat aromas in there as well. Awesome taste, the best banana tinted wheat ale I've had, it doesn't go overboard but it's definitely there; nice estery flavor, good wheat characteristics, clean and crisp. Goes down fine, an awesome wheat ale.

4.62/5  rDev +21.9%

Thanks go to beergeek279 and cupbeerman for bringing a growler of this limited edition to Michigan for Trbeer and I to enjoy.

Pours out to a beautiful, milky orange, forming a small white head with minimal retention and lacing (as any growler beer will do). The aroma is rich with a mead-like twang of fermented orange-blossom honey, tons of orange and coriander. Carbonation is mild to moderate with a semi-spritzy, yet very smooth mouthfeel and snappy crisp finish. Medium bodied. Tastes of crisp wheat with mild cloves, lots of orange and coriander. Very flavorful and easy to drink. I could drink this all summer long.

Wonderful stuff, and my first introduction to Troegs. Looking forward to trying some more of their stuff. An impressive wit.

4.57/5  rDev +20.6%

Served in a pint glass at Fathead's. The color was a very hazy orange, with a wispy head, making the beer look just like a glass of orange juice. The smell was spicy, citrusy, and clove-ish. The taste had notes of citrus, banana/clove, coriander spice, a strong wheat tanginess. Mouthfeel was very well-carbed, with a full body. As for drinkability, this would be an amazing session beer.

I first had this one right at the brewery...just poured so nicely, and I had at least 3 samples, but sadly I didn't have my notebook. Fortunately, we were lucky enough to get a keg at Fathead's, and surely I was overjoyed. I don't know how they quite end up mixing hefe and wit characteristics and melding them so well, but somehow they do! A fantastic beer, amazing sessionability, and I just hope that the Troegners will bring this (along with their other single batches) out again!!!

4.56/5  rDev +20.3%

4.55/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.51/5  rDev +19%

A: Pours a cloudy golden wheat color. Fizzy with moderate lacing.

S: Yeast, yeast, and more yeast. Has that strong special banana clove smell found only in bavarian wheat beers. Hops are no where to be found, which lets the yeast shine through even more.

T: A wonderfull bouquet of yeasty flavors similar to a heffeweizen, but almost stronger. Strong banana and lemon flavors. Hops presence is low and comes in slightly at the aftertaste. Lemon, banana, orange, and spice aftertaste. Slightly dry finish.

M: Very heavy for the abv, but very understandable since it is unfiltered. The heavy mouthfeel gives more power to the yeasty flavors.

D: I don't think I'd ever get sick of this. Exceptionally drinkable for the heavy mouthfeel.

Overall a superb wheat beer. A weaver of dreams. My only gripe is the low head retention.

Tröegs DreamWeaver Wheat from Tröegs Brewing Company