Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Tröegs Sunshine Pils | Tröegs Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2002

Ratings: 1,666 |  Reviews: 619
3.75/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.63/5  rDev +23.8%

No visit to Pinocchio's in Media is wasted when it comes to The CANQuest (TM)! CANs of every stripe seemed to line their shelves, including this one, which is fitting since I first had this beer at the Iron Hill (Media) Brandywine Valey Brewers' Festival many years ago.

From the CAN: "Crisp. Hoppy. Pilsner."

I miss the anthropomorphized sun, beating down with an angry look on his face, but the Crack! took place in his absence. An inverted Glug was next and we were off and running. It quickly settled into two fingers of dense, bone-white head with very good retention and I suddenly felt nostalgic for our salad days together in Harrisburg. Color was a fittingly beautiful sunshine yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. The nose was redolent with grassy Noble hops underlain what smelled like lemon zest. The Trogner brothers have been tight-lipped as to the lemony quality of this beer since its inception, but that is what makes it stand out in a crowd. I CAN identify it blindfolded, if need be. Wonderfully sticky lacing formed as I typed and so it was time for a sip. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and as always, it was the best iteration of the style that I know. It CANtains a biscuity maltiness, a grassy hoppiness and the characteristic lemoniness that makes it unique, IMHO. It makes me want to swoon in delight. Finish was crisp and dry, but not gaspingly so. It is a great summer beer and I am elated to see that they have begun putting it in CANs!

My original, on-tap review dtd 05 Mai 2008, scores 5; 4.5; 4.5;4.5; 5 follows:

It was Lager Sunday, boys & girls! I was out to Sly Fox (PHXville) for goat racing and bocks of every stripe. Upon returning home, it was more lager-style beers at my local (Brendee's Cafe - N. Mary & W. Lemon Sts., LNC, PA).

It arrived with a foamy, bone-white head with low retention. The color was a lemon-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity (truly bright). The nose had a light lemon-citrus scent. It looked and smelled like summer. The mouthfeel was medium with a definite Saaz hops bite on the tongue. It must be nice to have access to the good hops during a time of drought. The finish was refreshingly dry. Yummy!

I have to give props to Sly Fox Pikeland Pils; Victory Prima Pils (Silver); as well as Stoudt's Pils, but if you like Pils, Troegs ain't no slouch, baby.

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

2.84/5  rDev -24.1%

Look: I'm drinking this straight from the bottle. I can't really say much about the apperance.

Smell: Meh. Smell like what I remember smelling/tasting beer for the first time as a kid.

Taste: Same as the smell. I don't find this to be all that great. It's drinkable, but it's just my style.

Mouthfeel: Very light bodied. Decent carbonation and thirst quenching.

Overall: I probably won't drink this again. I can't say this beer is Bad, but it's not something I'd really like to drink. Given to me, I'll drink it, but I'll likely never pay for it again. Troegs beers with me are hit or miss. Some I love, some I really dislike.

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%