Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock | Tröegs Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2003

4.2

Ratings: 3,243 |  Reviews: 1,134
3.75/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

Clear, dirty copper color. Nice three-finger head. Good ring lace.

Sweet as if there were maple syrup added to the brew. Do I detect a little bit of Belgian yeast? Probably not, but this has that essence.

I like American double bocks because they put some hop into the mix. If I were to be critical, I'd say that this is not to style, but I must say the shift is delicious. Good lightly sweet malt start, but the hop bite comes during the swallow and extends into the aftertaste for a decent period of time. The body is thinner than most bocks. The carbonation is on the high side.

A very drinkable bock because I would describe it as well-balanced.

4.59/5  rDev +16.5%

Cheers to GnomeKing for this, enjoyed in a Andechs glass

Pours caramel/ruby red with a rocky 4 fingers deep sand colred head. Some lacing & head retention

S: Semi-intense breadyness, pepper

T: Breadyness, caramel & slight warming alcohol. Roasted grain & some chocolate notes follows. Brown sugar & hints of cinamon also surface. Finishes warming, bready & yummy!

MF: Chewy with low carbonation & great balance

Drinks very easy for the abv. Lack some style points on asthetics, but a really nice dopplebock, if I could get this all the time it would be in the rotation to be sure!

4.21/5  rDev +6.9%

The CANQuest (TM) had been hearing noises that sounded like CANs coming from Hershey, but it was not until Sunday night during a visit to The Fridge in advance of a visit from my local trader, tone77, that I spied this one and Perpetual IPA on the shelf. The CANQuest (TM) is honored to have one of the first CAN reviews on this site as part of the approach to CANQuest Review # 1000!

From the CAN: "Pack it in, Pack it out!"

How far back do I go with Troegs? I have one of the ceramic drinking horns from when this beer was initially released, many years ago. I will be deCANting into a shaker glass in this case, in the interest of being able to see color and clarity.

It must be humorous, somehow, to put a high-gravity beer like this into a tallboy. The Crack! was loud and the inverted Glug required the practiced hand of the CAN Master to CANtrol from an overflow. I had an initial two fingers of foamy, light-tan head before it began to fall, leaving great lacing in its wake. Color was a deep-ruby or garnet (The ex-Old Lady and I also had that debate during my visit), (SRM = > 27, < 34), with NE-quality clarity. Nose was rich with dried, dark fruits like raisins, prunes, and dates along with a fresh-baked breadiness. I could envision fruitcake from when my maternal grandmother used to bake it. It had an earthy richness to it that likewise put me in mind of B&B Brown Bread, also in a CAN. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was very much like brown bread with raisins! I like slicing off a piece, putting it in the microwave briefly, putting some butter on it and then eating it. The bread, I mean. The beer probably would not be as enjoyable coming out of the mike, but it was darn tasty coming out of both The Fridge and my fridge. I really did not notice the alcohol until the finish when I got a slight burning tickle in the back of my throat. The beer hides its ABV well, which CAN be a dangerous thing if you are not careful. The finish also left me tasting caramel along with the fruit and it just occurred to me - molasses. Wow! This is definitely a rich beer and on a cold day like today, it was just the ticket before hitting the hay.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

3.97/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Pours a dark burgundy color with ruby highlights. A one finger white head forms upon pouring and quickly reduces to a very thin ring around the outer edge. No lacing.

S: Very sweet with lots of dark fruit as well. Some candied raisins and dates and a bit of doughy malt.

T: A nice dose of caramel as well as some candied dark fruit and brown sugar. A little bit of doughy/bready malt balances the sweetness a bit.

M: Medium to full bodied with low carbonation. Drinks very smooth and slick.

O: Another solid effort by Troegs. Very drinkable for a relatively heavy beer/style. No sign of the 8.2% at all.

3.49/5  rDev -11.4%

Gorgeously glowing titian, heavy on the orange-red portion of the color spectrum. The beer looks for all the world like a DIPA and is one of the lightest doppels that you'll see. The DIPA comparison even extends to the head, an orangish ecru affair that is heavily creamy, nicely tacky and deposits chunks and sheets of lace all over the upper portion of the glass.

The nose is a disappointment because none of the usual doppelbock aromas are present. In fact, I'm finding it hard to appreciate much, even when I get my nose within dipping distance of the beer. What I do smell is more like a maibock than a doppel: blond malt with a smattering of earthy, slightly spicy hops. Chocolate malt is in use, but you'd never be able to prove it by me.

The flavor is somewhere between the extremes of appearance and aroma in terms of quality, but I'll be damned if Troegenator isn't a dead ringer for a maibock/helles bock. What was a sneaking suspicion in the nose is a dead cert on the palate. The blond malt backbone is decently sturdy, though the whole 'meal in a bottle' thing doesn't really apply in this case.

Good use of hops (Hallertau for those keeping score) with a fair amount of bitterness that is able to cut what could have been an overdone malty sweetness. The beer is a little fruity as well, but there's no hint of chocolate, coffee, etc. that could be attributed to roasted malt. The finish is a gradual lessening of what came before and adds nothing of interest.

The body/mouthfeel is a high point, though not as lofty as the appearance. It's medium-full with a lithe smoothness that I'm enjoying a great deal. A restrained amount of carbonation only adds to its likeability. No trace of the 8.2% ABV can be found.

Troegenator Double Bock (like Boston Beer Company, Troegs insists on using the Anglicized version of the name) isn't much of a doppelbock, but is a pretty fair maibock. Worth a look.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

This one has been sitting around in my fridge for a good long while,
again waiting for the day that I would choose it. Tonight just felt like
I needed to finally give this one a try. I will admit, initially I was
not a fan of the Dopplebock, and have had a a few misses with this style
already. The last couple I had tried had really kinda brought it back to
me and allowed me to sort of really get this style so to speak. So I
pulled this old man on the bottle out of the fridge and told him it was
his night and decided to go ahead and go for it. Now on to see what kind
of damage this one will cause on a rainy summer night. On a side note, it has now stopped raining so I guess it was enjoyed on a steamy summer night...

Poured into a pint glass with relative ease. No head whatsoever even from the beginning. A thin film of lace was present around the top of the glass, but even that faded rather unremarkably and left behin just some token light clingy lace along the sides of the glass. The tone was very nice. I would have to describe it as a rich cherry oak, or mahogany color. A very rich brown with a touch of red to it. Great color on this. Very clear to. For such a rich tone I would have thought that it would have had to be a bit more hazy then it actually was. It was damn crystal clear. Lots of visible carbonation. Chains of bubbles rippling to the surface from the bottom of the glass throughout the session. Other then the color, this had a simply average appearence to it, nothing truly spectacular.

Moving onto the nose on this one. It left me rather underwhelmed would be a polite way of saying it. Just too light for me. What was there was slightly oakey in nature. A slight note of a hope presence was also detected, but was really nothing extrordinary or stood out much. Maybe a note or two of sugary tones and a definate earthy feel. Some burnt wood or roasted barley percolated through at the end, but overall it just came off as a bit light to me. Hopefully the flavor will leave a better and more lasting impression on me.

First sip left me hanging a bit, really. It just felt too thin, not enough life to it and nowhere near strong enough in the profile. What really shocked me was that this was over 8% ABV. I really could not setect that anywhere, I would swear this was floating down in the 4-5% range, not a touch of alcohol could even be detected. The flavors were also somewhat muted. I think part of this may have been due to the watered down nature of both the flavor and the feel. Just felt real thin and light to me. It did have a some detectable notes were found. Lots of earthy hop top flavors in the finish, but even that left it feeling a bit slick. Flavors of burnt wood, and roasted barly were again detected. I really wish it would have been thicker or more robust then it was I just didnt pick any of that up at all. Just seemed too watered down and bland for me.

Overall this one just really underwhelmed me. It lacked the certain something that makes it stand out above the rest. I actually prefered a local Dopplebock, which has scored much lower then this, to be much more appetizing. Maybe it was me it just did not impress at all. I would say it sessionable only because it was so light and the alcohol really did not show through. Will have to try some of the other in the category, to see how it holds up, or maybe I just got a bad batch. Will try one again if it comes my way to make sure. One thing I will give it however was it was definatly not heavy and well suited for a warm summer night!

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap at Charlie Brown's in Harrisburg the day before Easter-Thanks Grandma!
Served chilled in a standard pint glass

A - Deep bronze almost burgundy w/ a 1/2 inch medium whipped tan head. The cap falls to a film, the beer has good clarity and thick lace adheres

S - Mild roasted malt, dates and dark bread w/ walnuts and mild woodiness of hops makes the aroma inviting and balanced

M- A mix of caramel, toast and spice textures w/ an appropriate moderate carbonation level. The maltiness is full and the feel is round but the db finishes dry and clean

T - A great malt flavor-toffee, and dates like in the aroma w/ a spicy herbal hop flavor and almond like sweet taste. The malt is full w/ dry notes of fresh raisin and mild pepper. The taste has plenty of dark toast flavor w/ mildly woody and slight caramel type sweetness

D - I must admit this is one of my favorite db's and it doesn't dissapoint on tap w/ an all around great drinkability for such a big beer. very spicy for the style, but suits me fine and went well with my chipotle chicken pita and sweet potato fries

Served on-tap in the Troegs tasting room into a standard Troegs pint glass.

A - Pours a dark brown with a small one finger off-white head that leaves only a little bit of lacing down the glass.

S - Rich roasty aroma with hints of caramel and other toasted malts. A faint aroma of grassy hops and dried fruits. A faint hint of the alcohol lurks in the background but is there.

T - Huge amounts of roasty goodness. Similar to the nose with caramel, toffee, and other toasted malts. A faint bitterness from the grassy hops is a welcome addition. Flavors of dark fruits develop on the pallet once the roasty flavors subside. The alcohol is ever present and adds a warming sensation to the pallet.

M - Medium body and flavor with good carbonation. Smooth feel that warms the pallet thanks to the alcohol. Finishes a little on the dry side.

D - Fairly high for a double bock with this much ABV. One of my go to beers when I am at a bar with less than desirable options on draft. A great example of the style and great for a cold day like we have been having around here lately.

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to mikesgroove for sending me this one.

A: This pours a dark caramel color with lots of hints of brown and some red. A nice fluffy white head sits on top.

S: A lot of sweet smells coming from this beer. I picked up a bunch of sugar and malty sweetness. Perhaps some dark fruit aromas. Not really much contrast here.

T: The taste is a bit more impressive than the nose. A big punch of caramel, accompanied by brown sugar and dark fruits. A bit of breadiness helps to even out the sweetness.

M: A low carbonation gives a smooth, slick mouthfeel.

D: I'm not the biggest fan of bocks, but this one was fairly good. I had no problem taking this one down, so I'd have to say it has high drinkability.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.87/5  rDev -1.8%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Thanks to Tedwarhc for this bottle!

I miss having ready access to this stuff whenever the mood struck me to grab some. Oh well, that's what trading's for, right? It pours a clear dark garnet-russet topped by a relatively short-lived finger of dirty sandstone foam. The nose comprises caramel, figs, red grapes, toffee, butter, light cinnamon, and light rye bread. The taste seems to want to follow this directive, but a sharp nip of orange peel and astringent (though kinda light) coffee detract somewhat from the otherwise pleasant flavors. It's not enough to completely torpedo the proceedings, but enough to be negatively noticeable. The body is a light-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a smooth, lightly grainy feel. Overall, though a teensy bit thin and that touch bitterly unpleasant on the tongue, this is still a very solid d-bock. Generally good times.

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The beer is dark plum to amber in color with an inch of beige head. Audible fizzing. The aroma brings lager yeast, dark fruit, plums, toffee, caramels. Sweetness that was present in the aroma carries into the flavor. Lingering sweet toffee chews, candy. Hints of brown bread. Malty throughout. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. With Ayinger Celebrator sitting around on shelves at most decent beer stores, it's hard to choose another doppelbock. Still, this is worth a visit.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.69/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz brown bottle into a pint, no indication of freshness but it was recently purchased in the tasting room so no worries about quality/shelf life.

Troegenator appears a clear dark amber color with a thin lace of tanned bubbles across the top for a head. Faint rising bubbles of carbonation rise to the surface and collect around the inside perimeter of the glass and appear with a color that is slightly stained yellow. Aroma of this beer is pretty much dominated by the scent of malt leaning towards being a bit like dark caramel or a bit like molasses, only a faint trace of hops is present and the slightest touch of butter. Taste is malty sweet with flavors of caramel, slight molasses, and just a bit of buttery tones with a minor hop bitterness and nice alcohol warmth. Medium feel with a modest amount of carbonation and a increasing amount of alcohol character as the beer warms. Once Troegenator warms, it displays a greater depth of the malt profile with flavors that are at times a bit nutty. Overall pretty good.

4.32/5  rDev +9.6%

Appears a deep ruby with a caramel tan head very nice appearance lacing is sporatic and scattered but it's all good. Aromatics takeover deep over ripened plum tones drizzled in a milk chocolate sauce and a touch of floral hops lingering. Taste conists of waves of malt this is one malt monster very nice and it gets more and more appetising with every sip. Seems chalk full of caramel malts with some type of specialty thrown in to give it the chocolate finish very smooth and not overly sweet a great strong lager that's still a bit dangerous when it come to drinkability. Mouthfeel is fuller bodied but incredibly smooth at the same time no cloying textures one great easy sipper. This beer is great year round especially when your in the mood for a malty dbock with trace hops.

Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock from Tröegs Brewing Company