Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock | Tröegs Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2003

3.9

Reviews: 1,116 | Ratings: 3,184
4.57/5  rDev +17.2%

A- Had a dark red color that looked alot like black cherry cool aid. Nice thick head and decent lacing. This color was so rare to me that it had an aura about it that just was mesmerizing.

S- Wow, sweet dark fruit and a whole bunch of caramel malts. Maybe just a touch of smoke.

T- Taste just like the smell. super sweet caramel and dark fruit like plums and dark cherry. Little bit of the malt and a hint of pepper.

M- Goes down super smooth. Not over carbonated and a creamy texture.

O- Some people might not light the extreme sweetness of this beer but I love it. I could not stop swooning over this beer. Almost reminds me of a Mad Elf

4.56/5  rDev +16.9%

Wow, excellent. I'm from the Harrisburg, PA area, yet as a beer newbie, I haven't gotten to try this before. The only other Troegs beer I have tried in the past is Mad Elf last year. I'm only 23, and have never tried a dopplebock before. Anyway... Opened the beer from a six pack, hit with a nice soft scent from it, not what I was expecting. Poured into a standard glass a dark amber, when held up to the light, it reminded me of a port wine, and minimal lacing. One interesting note is that it left large bubbles in the bottle, something I've never seen before. Smell was of the malted barley up front, followed by a lingering scent of the hops and a bit of alcohol. Taste was just as the smell, sweet malt followed by slight bitter of hops and warmth of the alcohol down the back of the throat. It surprised me how easy it is to drink, everything is layered together, but in a great way. One does have to worry about the 8.2% alcohol level, it can sneak up on you. Excellent beer, wonderful for a nightcap or just a winter warmer.

4.54/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

My friends who enjoy craft beer joke that they can tell when I think something is exceptional by the way I gift 6 packs to all of them. This is just such a beer. On the pour the color is a reddish caramel and a bit lighter than I was expecting, however the smell is intoxicating (no, that's not from the 8.2 ABV) and hints at smoked/roasted meats along with a sugary side. I suck at describing scents. However the taste is glorious, full, creamy and cloying, this is a fall night beer that deserves to be an every weekend beer. I may be in love, just hoping my Podunk Indiana source continues to carry this gift from God!

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber from the Liquor Shop in Tyngsborro, Mass. Pours a brilliant translucent red-brown with a half inch of light tan head. Caramel, nut, toffee, and a slight background of herbal hops characterize the aroma. Caramel and toffee hit first in the flavor, plenty of nut, slightly herbal hops in the background, and just a hint of alcohol warmth, though it does not taste like an 8.2% beer. Toward the fuller side of body with moderate carbonation. Not viscous like some dopplebocks, makes this one more refreshing and drinkable than expected. All around, one of the best dopplebocks I have ever had. Well-balanced, drinkable, pretty. No complaints here. Glad I can get this in Tyngsborro!

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this from the one, the only, CRABBICUS!!! (He should be BA of the decade)

This ones great. I love the candy/cherry smell. Taste really follows suit. I can see my self drinking myself stupid with these on a cold winter night. Malty, candy, cherry, darker fruits. Incredible. I like it...
Cheers!

4.52/5  rDev +15.9%

Pours a hazy orange brown color with a nice dark tan head that thins but stays around until the end. Smells of sweet malts and fruits. The taste is heaven, a nice malty nutty taste with a light wheat and dark fruit flavor in the background. It is one of the smoothest cleanest beers I've ever had. An amazing aftertaste that leaves you wanting more.

4.52/5  rDev +15.9%

Appearance - dark amber, what you would expect. Head has a lot of retention, looks dense and fluffy

Smell - Earthen roasted malt, hints at what will fully develop when it hits your taste buds. The aroma is reminiscent of a spicy bread, for lack of better words.

Taste - Initially, the dark malt flavors are dominating - you subconciously get ready for what your mouth thinks is 11+ ABV and at that moment it backs off and you get the resin zip; not too intense, but in my mind it accents the malts with perfection. "What was that I just tasted", you ask yourself... You NEED to take another sip, and another.

Mouthfeel - Drinking temperature ~50F. The bread presence that you smelled initially manifests itself as a texture - you can almost take a bite of this beer. Not watery, not saturated motor oil, but a meal in a bottle. Subtleties of the texture do not linger, tempting you to take yet another sip to reevalute what you just experienced.

Drinkability - Given that this is a hefty brew in every sense of the term, disrespectful things can be done with this beer. Session beer? No. This is by far the most drinkable beer at this ABV I have enjoyed to date.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle bottled on 09/09/14. Sampled December 1, 2014.

Dark mahogany brown pour with a modest tan head.

The aroma is sweet and malty with a weak barleywine sweetness.

The body is medium to full.

The taste is incredibly sweet and malty with a moderate bitter finish. It is quite tasty.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

The appearance was excellent. It poured a dark brown and clear color. Aroma was very malty. The taste wasn't too heavy. It fit the double bock criteria. Mouthfeel was a medium to heavy, but not over powering. Overall a delicious beer. Very hard just to have one of these.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

This is one of my go-to beers, the one I always have on hand. It's great on its own or with food, a bit on the heavy side but with 8.3% alcohol you won't need to drink many of them to feel a buzz. Maybe not the best warm-weather beer but it's great after a long winter work day. The taste is on the sweet side but not really chocolatey or stouty, more like a spicy, caramely lager. This is definitely one worth trying no matter what style you prefer, a very unique beer, with a very drinkable, memorable taste.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Very sweet beer, with a taste of roasted malt and a touch of carbonation and hops. Overall, I find it to be well balanced all around. The 8.2% abv just starts to show itself in the end. This is a great change of pace from my usual favorite IPAs. The only negative I can think of is that it may not be the best session beer. I'd much rather sip and enjoy this than pound down and be drunk after a few beers.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Mild aroma. Pours a solid head but dissipates quickly. Nicely carbonation with a tangy bite for
a doppelbock. Carbonation held throughout the entire consumption. Good "bock" malts...
low hops. Rich flavor that is slightly sweet.

This is a VERY good American made doppelbock. Priced like a craft beer. The only problem is
that I don't live in the areas that it is normally distributed.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

First I’d like to say that every-time I drink this beer it gets better and better and new and exciting flavors seem to emerge. So I might have to re-review it from time to time. Now, this beer poured into the glass a crystal clear, lightly carbonated red/orange color. The head was thick and creamy, and the color was a beige color that had a orange hue to it. It was a long lasting head that never really disappeared and some remnants were still there at the last sip, and the lace was much like the head, it was sticky and it stretched to almost the bottom. The aroma was fairly simple at this time, the first thing that hit me in the face was oranges, fresh oranges, then a slight wave of floral and citrus hops bit at my nose, some creamy chocolate malt seemed to also be present (I noticed it before, but it is very slight), but mostly I smelled oranges. The taste was more complex then I would have thought. I tasted fruit (oranges) some light citrus hops (which made it slightly bitter), a light creamy milk chocolate, malt in the middle, kind of made my mouth feel watery, and hints of alcohol were also present in the late middle and at the end. The last taste to come to me at the end were citrus hops, but it was well blended. This beer was creamy in texture and very satisfying, a good beer to always have somewhere either on tap or six pack. Also a very sneaky beer. You feel fine and great while sitting and having 2 or 3 but watch out when you get up, because you will have the “jimmy legs”.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Aroma: Moderate fruity esters. Dark plums and figs. Pleasant carmel sweetness. No hop aroma.

Appearance: Deep nearly clear dark red pour with a sticky off-white head that retains well.

Flavor: More dark fruit character. Dried figs, raisins, deep malt character. Background earthy hop bitterness provides some depth but the balance is clearly malty. Finish is clean and dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Warming alcohol is present and coats the palate.

Overall impression: A big, malty, immensely drinkable dopplebock. Worthy to sip and savor.

4.49/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a clear, dark amber, with red highlights. The head is an enchanting gold color, and is creamy and long-lasting.

Smell: The strong aroma is undeniably sweet: milk chocolate, toffee, and faint fruity esters are complemented by fresh biscuit malt, and balanced by spicy hops.

Taste: Caramel and brown sugar-coated bread crusts are rounded out by roasted coffee, which creates a medium-light bitterness. The spicy hop character is present in the flavor as well as the aroma, but the balance is towards the malt, as is typical with this style.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel with medium-high carbonation, and a finish just dry enough to counterbalance the sweetness. The presence of alcohol warmth is typical.

Overall: A tasty, complex, sweet-but-not-too-sweet doppelbock. More balanced than other flavorful dark beers in that it's neither more toasty than roasty, nor more sugary than spicy, etc. No one flavor dominates, making the complexity that much more enjoyable.

4.49/5  rDev +15.1%

I stashed this bottle for several months to see what would happen. 12 oz. with no freshness date. Served at about 50 degrees. Pours a reddish brown (more red than brown) with an off-white 1 finger head that leaves little lacing. Scents are very sweet - caramel, butterscotch, chocolate, bubblegum, raisins/plums/figs, alcohol and perhaps a hint of roses. Hop spiciness is the first flavor to hit, but followed closely by thick, chewy malts with more bubblegum, chocolate, dark fruits, and alcohol. Citric hop flavors and hop bitterness eventually make themselves known. Has a nice warming feeling. Too thick and strong to make a good session beer but makes a wonderful after-dinner beer. I don't remember the other 5 beers from the six-pack smelling/tasting this complex - even though I don't have tasting notes from those I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the aging had a positive effect on this beer.

4.48/5  rDev +14.9%

a- pour is a dark brown, head is a little off white, and nice with an aggressive pour.

s- smell is malty and of roasted nuts, you can smell the 8% alcohol in the nose, it deffinatly comes through.

t- thick, malty you chew this beer instead of drink it, roasted nuts. what a dopplebock should be.

m- thick and viscous

d- for being a very hearty and high ABV beer this one goes down better then expected, I took a cooler of these to a soccer match and pounded a bunch of them, and never felt full or that I couldn't have another.

This beer is fantastic, I had a case deliverd for my wedding, it's one of my favorite beers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle served in a beer mug.

Pours a beautiful, deep garnet color with a slightly tan, 1 fingered head.

Smells of rich roasted malts and slight chocolate.

Taste the same with the slight bite of hops... just enough to let you know its there.

Would definitely buy more of these.

4.48/5  rDev +14.9%

This is one of my favorite beers. I love the maltyness of it. The abv can sneak up on you if you are not careful. The Troegenator I'm drinking right now is over a year old so it has picked up a bit of a boozy taste. I've gone through a few cases in the past. For a while it was one of my session beers. I wish I had the Troegs Drinking horn to use with one of these fine beers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Dark amber in color. Aroma is rich, roasted caramel malts with hints of biscuit and toffee. Medium mouthfeel. The taste is the same as the aroma with a crisp finish.

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

On my way home from Biketoberfest I picked this up at a local bev center in Delaware.

Pours a deep amber/copper hue with a tan head which dropped to a cover and left some lacing down the glass.

This is one of the few beers I was actually able to pick out some aromas from!

Taste was really good! Malty, sublime caramel and a hint of heat. Finished somewhat dry and quite sweet. Has a medium body and a fair amount of carbonation.

Overall I like this beer alot and would definitely seek it out on my future journeys to the beer peddling establishments I frequent!

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

Appearance: Brown bottle regular cap, blue/yellow/red label. Body is rich ruby, light brown head, fair lace and retention.

Smell: Caramel, some nuttiness and spice.

Taste: Sweet caramel and fairly strong nut flavors, a little spice too but not as much as in the smell.

Mouthfeel: Good full body, a nice warm feeling from the alcohol. Leaves a thick coating in your mouth.

Drinkability: Very high on my scale. This is a warming, sweet, rich brew.

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured into a snifter glass.

A - Deep cherry.

S - Brown sugar, dried cranberries, prunes.

T - Nice balance. Dried pear, dried apricot, prunes, golden raisins, nutmeg, caramel bread. Touch of mellow hop bitterness in the middle of the profile. Finishes sweet with an alcoholic warmth.

M - Low carbonation. Medium-light body. Slight syrupiness that coats your mouth

D - Very drinkable for the style. The sweetness isn't overpowering and the hop blance keeps it fresh on your palate.

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%

A- Deep and dark. Muddy brown with a very thick beige foamy frothy head that quickly dissipates.

S- Deep smells of dark chocolate and hints of caramels and malt. A slight dark cherry hint.

T- Toasty and nutty. Full malt and a hint of burnt sugars.

M- A creamy smooth finish that was bitter on the tip of the tongue but not for long. Extremely smooth, very rich and viscous on the palate with just a little the right amount of carbonation. There are some warming sensations from the alcohol.

D- Smooth, clean, and a great beer. Lots of flavor and quite complex. Hops and malts mix well together to give this a very good taste that easily hides any trace that there is 8.2% alcohol in this wonderful beer. I really do like this brew.

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer.

I love me some doppelbocks, and this is king of them for me. I've had Ayinger Celebrator, and I know that's generally ranked as #1, if not very close.

But IMO this one just edges it out. I could drink a couple growlers full on a hot summer day, or on a cold fall evening. It's just perfect for me.

If I had to criticize the beer in any way, it's that it feels a little syrupy once you have so much of it. But that's doppelbock for you.

Find it, buy it, drink it.

Tröegs Troegenator Double Bock from Tröegs Brewing Company