Tröegs Java Head Stout | Tröegs Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Tröegs Java Head StoutTröegs Java Head Stout

Tröegs Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

JavaHead is like a day at Tröegs; it’s hard to tell where the coffee ends and the beer begins. This creamy oatmeal stout is infused with locally roasted, cold steeped coffee through our HopBack vessel, releasing subtle hints of cocoa, roasted nuts and dark mocha.

Added by Deuane on 08-25-2009

Ratings: 2,330 |  Reviews: 694

2.58/5  rDev -31.9%

SPOILER ALERT! This is not a stout! The name "Java Head STOUT" is (or at least should be) a misnomer; the Java Head Stout is actually a Porter.

Troegs Java Head Stout pours a deep brownish-black with a good amount of medium, tan head. Its smell is a complex, sweet smell with a traditional beer undertone mixed with a slight bitterness. The mouthfeel is a good one: though it is not chewing for a beer that claims to be a stout, but it is one of substance.

The taste is what makes this "stout" a porter. A stout should be malty and sweet, as much of the oat and other grain's starches have been converted to sugar without a large amount of fermentation, as most stouts have a relatively low abv (unless it is an imperial stout, in which case the high amount of alcohol will dominate the taste).The Java Head does not supply this. It, as porters characteristically are, is bitter. The Java head does not have a hop-bitterness like many of the pale ales and IPA's, it is a bitterness from coffee (hence the "java") and bitter chocolate.

Let me point out that the Java Head Stout from Troegs is a fantastic porter, but it is a porter, not a stout,nonetheless.

2.62/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A: Black, 1/2 inch head that sticks.

S: So faint, but dark plum is there.

T: Dark roast motor oil burnt coffee on the front end, followed by strong coffee bitterness in the middle, concluded with a nice creamy coffee back end as I smack my tongue against the roof of my mouth.

M: Heavy and full with a slight alcohol feel.

O: I love the coffee back end, but can't get over the heavy burnt coffee front end.

2.62/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured very, very dark brown with a light tan head. Very fine bubbles and a creamy, lasting texture to the foam. Left nice lacing on the glass.

Smells weakly of coffee and grain, with not much else. Weak overall, which is not what I was expecting from a coffee stout. A bit of dry fruit perhaps, but not really.

Taste is a nice oatmeal followed by very bitter coffee. Tasty for sure, with some chocolate coming out as the beer warms. It's a simple flavor profile, but a good one. Maybe just a bit too astringent on the finish.

Mouthfeel is thin and not very satisfying for a stout. I like the acidity, but its almost gritty and not balanced by anything else. Drinkability suffers due to the basic taste - doesn't really develop other than the chocolate, and it gets a bit boring to drink to be perfectly honest. Not one of the better coffee stouts I've had.

2.63/5  rDev -30.6%

Troegs being one of my favortie brewers, I was excited to try this. There was a sampling at a local distributor and and first taste its was worth splitting a case. When I brought it home it the secong and third trys weren't as good. It poured dark chocalate as expected with a nice coffee aroma and head the after taste was bitter and stuck around in an odd way.

It was purchased in a case of 12, 24 oz bottles and of those there reamins 3, one of which I'm trying as I write. For the price there are better stouts out there. They should brew this in 12 oz. bottle for a variety pack; its not terrible, just not the best. Maybe a hoppy stout isn't for me.

2.64/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

BLAND. Picked up a bomber, nice price. Too bad I find this very boring and bland. The coffee wasn't present in the aromas or taste. More on the thin side. Not, bold and really lacking robust flavors. It's very thin and seems like there's no body at all to this one, very flat. Troegs is a nice brewery but this is a miss for them in my eyes. It's drinkable, but not the best representation of the style, IMHO. I know they meant well but this one doesn't work and would pass on it in the future. BLAND.

I know it sounds like I have nothing good to say about it, it's not horrible, just boring. BLAND.

2.67/5  rDev -29.6%

This beer proved to me, once again, that a bomber priced less than $9.99 is likely to be unsatisfying. Not exactly sure why but that's the conclusion I've reached.
This beer has decent flavor but lacks the fullness that I've come to expect from a stout. There are roasted, coffee, and smokey flavors but they all kind of hover in the background while the body of the beer lies dead.
If you're looking for a rich, satisfying stout ... pass on this one.

2.7/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Aroma is a fairly aggressive mix of roasted and burnt malts with perhaps just a hint of coffee. But for a coffee stout, definitely not too heavy on the coffee. More like a dry stout.

Taste has quite a roasted malt character to it, a bit burnt perhaps with a small bitterness on the finish. Coffee is very light. Most coffee stouts that I've had pack way more of a coffee punch than this. As it is, it comes across more like an ordinary stout to me. Those aren't really my favorite style so that's a letdown to me.

2.7/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Nice dark brew with a thick tan head. Hop aroma up front, lots of fruit and maybe a little bit of pine. Malt leans to the sweeter side, not much roast - more like chocolate.

First sip brings lots of hop flavor. Big dose of fruit goes down hard against the backdrop of roasted grains. Hop bitterness mixes with roasted grain bitterness. Flavors clash. Can't find the coffee in here either.

Body has too much carbonation by far, almost spritzy with carbonic acid aftertaste. Finishes with a nice dryness that stretches out the roasted grain flavor, still carries fruitiness on the palate though.

Not very good balance in this beer. I don't understand the fruitiness - whether from yeast esters or aggressive american hops it just doesn't belong in my coffee oatmeal stout. Too much carbonation as well makes the aftertaste unpleasant and punishes each sip instead of inviting another.

2.71/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

Black as night with no highlights coming through at all. Topped with a huge three finger head thats thin watery and disappears quickly leaving minimal lacing.

The smell is disappointing. I thought maybe the beer was too cold so i let it warm up but its still the same. Very light nose. The slightest touch of coffee and a roasted maltiness. Searching even further with my nose damn near in the beer itself i get more of a butterscotch aroma.

I'm disappointed once again after tasting this. I don't know if it's just me but for a beer brewed with coffee beans. I'm getting hardly anything as far as coffee flavors go. I get the slightest touch of semi sweet chocolate and thats about it. This beer is bland and watery. It finishes with a little bit of bitterness but other then that there is hardly any flavor to speak of.

Mouthfeel is extremely watery and almost non existent. It's very thin a light bodied. No alcohol presence at all.

Drinkability is ok. I mean water is very drinkable but this ain't water. I could drink another, but i really have no desire to.

Overall, i love Troegs and most of their beers and i really wanted to love this one as well. Ive been excited to try this and i hate to give low reviews on any beer but this one just doesn't do it for me. It's just missing too many elements.
I wouldn't recommend this.

2.73/5  rDev -28%

A - Dark chocolate brown. Light-brown, almost non-existent head.

S - Roasted, chocolate, malty. Very little coffee so far.

T - Not what I expected. Chocolate malt overtakes everything. Very little coffee. Flat and uninteresting.

M - Not as thick as I'd expect an Oatmeal Stout to be.

O - Pretty disappointed in this. Just wasn't as complex as I would expect. Not a very good stout IMHO.

2.74/5  rDev -27.7%

Pours jet black with a white two finger head into my bruery tulip. Aroma is weak, malts and feint coffee. Taste follows the nose, very light, like drinking a Guinness with a dash of coffee. Smooth and easy to drink, hides the alcohol well. Not bad if your looking for a light tasting stout, just not what I was looking for.

Tröegs Java Head Stout from Tröegs Brewing Company