Scratch Beer 30 - 2010 (Jerman Bock) | Tröegs Brewing Company

Scratch Beer 30 - 2010 (Jerman Bock)Scratch Beer 30 - 2010 (Jerman Bock)

Tröegs Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

Added by Deuane on 05-18-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 54 | Ratings: 61
4.38/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not exactly my favorite of styles, but I'll give it a shot...

Appearance: Poured from the bottle into my DFH Ale Glass, the beer is a very cloudy light copper color. Despite my easy pour, there's over 2 inches worth of slow fading, thick creamy white head.

Smell: The smell is sweet, with a nice grassy sort of hop character to it. Rather light and refreshing.

Taste: I'll admit, this is not a style that I am particularly fond of...but this is good! The taste is light and sweet, and there's just enough of the grassy and spicy hop character to balance this brew out. Not what I expected at all. This beer is really hitting the spot on this warm summer afternoon.

Mouthfeel: Plenty of carbonation, light to medium body. Very refreshing.

Drinkability: This is a damn tasty beer, and a welcome relief for this hot summer afternoon. I really wish that I had more than a single bottle. Definitely recommend, try it if you can get it.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

this was a seriously excellent beer. i had this one easily winning the night for me, served cold and allowed to warm up, this one was consumed on 10/20/2010.

really just a classic pour with a nearly clear body an a huge head of offwhite that capped the top sublimely.

a rich and decandent nose filled with caramel, roasted nuts, hints of dark earthy tones, toffee and a touch of smoked malts all combined to make this one to write home about for sure. super clean feel and a medium body only added to the show and i honestly could say i was totally and completely blown away by this beast.

overall one of the better bocks and one of the best in this series that i have had. i would do this one again in a second.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Thanks to ClockworkOrange for lugging some of this up to NEPA for us Lackawanna folk.

Pours a highly hazed orange amber color with a soft, pillowy beige head. Head starts out about two fingers and keeps well, a thick, full lace with some excellent webbing on the sides.

Smell is quite fruity and floral, with citrus and apricot aromas coming out juicy and sweet. A bit of caramel and some bready malt round out the nose.

Taste is also quite fruity, with a combination of yeast esters and citrus hops giving it a juicy orange and apricot flavor in particular. It has a pleasant sweetness and a bready malt base. It's really nicely balanced and the finish leaves some floral, fruity flavor that leaves me thirsting for the next sip. Man, this is really tasty stuff.

The mouthfeel is a real surprise, as it is extremely creamy and smooth. It's creamy enough that it drinks close to a beer served on nitro. It's that creamy, soft on the palate but with enough carbonation to also be pretty clean in the finish. This is certainly not the way you'd expect a maibock to feel on the palate, but I think it really works with this beer.

I gotta say that this is, unexpectedly, one of the best beers in the entire Scratch series to date. It's not a traditional Maibock but that doesn't bother me; what it is is a damn tasty beer. So fruity, so smooth, and incredibly creamy on the palate. To me this is what the Scratch series is all about - taking a style and having some fun with it, turning an interesting concept into a great beer. This is a definite winner; and to think I saw close to 10 cases of it still sitting on the brewery floor! You are missing out if you haven't tried this yet.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Thanks to the long time trading partner, Akorsak, for this one.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Hennepin globe. This beer pours a hazy burnt orange with a big, fluffy off-white cap that leaves sticky lacing all the way down the sides of the glass. If I would have been handed this beer, I definitely wouldn't have guessed it to be a Maibock. Looks more like a IPA. And hello, smells more like a IPA too. With the first whiff, plenty of citrus and floral hops. The hops fade into sweet biscuit malts adding a nice bready aroma to balance out the hops. The first sip has me saying out loud that I love this beer. Wow, is it tasty. Floral hops add a nice sweet earthiness with tangerine citrus coming following behind. Plenty of breads and biscuits to give the hops a palate to work off of. At the very tail I get just a hint of banana. Everything is balanced. While its hoppy, the malt backbone really balances it. Man, this is a tasty beer. My only issue is its classification. I'm all for trying new things, but I wouldn't ever say this is a Maibock. Regardless, one of the best Scratch series I've had.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last