Tröegs Hopback Amber Ale | Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Standing 12 ft. tall at the center of the brew deck is our HopBack vessel; here, whole flower hops swirl in hot wort coaxing hop oil into aromas of grapefruit pith and pinesap. This bright hop nose is counterbalanced with malt tones of toffee and Caramel.

Hops: Cascade, Willamette, Nugget, Crystal

Added by Maestro on 09-29-2002

Ratings: 3,081 |  Reviews: 1,170

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a pretty clear amber/orange color with a creamy one finger head, solid retention and lacing. It smells like citrusy hops and maybe a little bit like raspberry. The taste is superbly balanced- medium bodied with overtones of hops and a clean dry finish. The mouthfeel is perfect for this style- well carbonated and very refreshing. Especially for the price, this is a fantastic beer. I plan on drinking it more frequently.

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

The bouquet comes though as a boozy kind of candied caramel, with mild notes of citrus hops. I didn't check production date, but I'm guessing this particular bottle was a month or two old by the hop character. I'm sure they are more pronounced when fresh. Still, I can say this beer smells quite "fresh".

Pours out a perfect amber gradient from light on the edges of the glass to a nice dark hue in the center. Visible carbonation due to etching within the glassware, but somewhat hazy. The head was a slightly off-white foamy type but dissipated quickly - it left some nice lacing though.

On the first sip, I pick up the bitterness and bright hop characters right away. At first, I thought the balance fell more towards the hoppy side. On the mid-palate and finish, the malt really shines through and I felt the balance shifted to a maltier perspective. On subsequent sips, I get more malt than hops. Beautiful combinations of flavors here like caramel and orange, backed by a nice biscuit note. The alcohol is completely hidden in the taste, unlike the smell, this is quite delicious.

Hopback Amber holds a nice moderate level of carbonation and body, making it easy to drink and quite delightful.

4.07/5  rDev +1.2%

Lightly chilled 12 oz. bottle poured aggressively into a tulip pint. Bottling date 9.16.11.

Look- Massive white-with-a-hint-of-peach head with on this one, 3 fingers easily. Leaves a nice cobweb of lacing. Beer itself is a clear rosy dark amber.

Smell- Jeezum Crow! I get candied pear and mandarin orange with a whiff of lemongrass and fresh bread. Don't even consider drinking this out of the bottle- the pungent bouquet is incredible.

Taste- Light amber maple candy (the real stuff) and lemongrass duke it off, balancing exceptionally well. Touches of navel orange here and there. Finish feels like toasted sourdough bread, with an aftertaste of orange peel. Almost a letdown after the smell, but still delectable. Malt is quite present, and together with the mild sweetness and a light buttery diacetyl presence it gives me an overall impression of caramelcorn or candied nuts.

Mouthfeel- Medium-bodied and slick, with carbonation that reveals itself consistently throughout the sip. Alcohol is subtle. Tart towards the end, and moderately drying and acidic. A hint too acidic for my liking, in fact- the only bad thing I can say about this brew.

Overall- A solid flagship ale, it's one of the beers I tried early on that convinced me craft was the way to go. I've since found others I like more (Including this one's big brother, Nugget Nectar, which is sadly still a seasonal.) but this is always a great fallback. Hopefully Troegs is around for a long, long time to continue showing everyone how it's done.

4.34/5  rDev +8%

Served out of the bottle and into a pint glass.
Appearance-Amber color, 1 finger head not too heavy on carbonation.
Smell-Heavy hop and citurs aroma coming through, may be some nugget in there.
Taste-Hops, malt, hops, with a nice finish, notes of grassiness, and citurs, fresh grass and grapefruit.
Mouthfeel-fantastic
Overall-fantastic beer, well balanced but still very hoppy. First time having this one but will reach for it again and again. I am familiar with the process of using a hop back and that is why I picked it up and I was not disapointed.

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

There's a bartender at my local pub that knows how to draft a brew and he did this nicely.

A- great amber ale color with a head that does not quite make a full finger. Great lacing on the pint glass, however.

S- that average head packs a lot of hoppy citus, grapefruit aroma. The aroma really filled the glass as I emptied the beer.

T- MALTY/HOPPY/MALTY/HOPPY....etc. Full.

M- A nice hoppy finish with a full complex feel and taste. No alcohol burn.

O- I'm ready for more. I love a 6.0 that drinks like 4.5.

Tröegs Hopback Amber Ale from Tröegs Brewing Company