Perpetual IPA | Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: American IPA

At Tröegs, artisanal meets mechanical in a state of IPA we call Perpetual. Cycling through our HopBack vessel and dry-hopping method, this bold Imperial Pale Ale emerges rife with sticky citrus rind, pine balm and tropical fruit.

Added by thain709 on 08-11-2011

Ratings: 3,661 |  Reviews: 695
3.42/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.42/5  rDev -40.5%

I find it just really bitter without much of anything else. The 7.5% alc/vol is its only positive characteristic to me. Disclaimer: I'm not an IPA guy so take my review for what its worth.

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

4.14/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured a super clear golden amber with what may be the shortest-lived head I have ever seen. Minimal amout of spotchy lacing, as in minute. The nose revealed mango and plum staning out with a hint of lemon and moderate amount of pine. I really liked the aroma....a lot. It is a moderately full-bodied brew, with a really good pine/mango/lemon advanced flavor that is followed by the hops and plum. Nice bit of bitter left on tongue but not overpowering, very balanced. For a imperial IPA, I was really surprised not to get more of am alcohol-forward taste....which led to my increased enjoyment of this beer! Overall, I really like this and will certainly enjoy the rest of the 6-er in my beer fridge.

4.67/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Hit the spot. Not too hippy. Crisp.

3.62/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Nice look and feel, but could use a little more citrus to brighten up the heavy hopped taste.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev -2.7%

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

3.87/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.56/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

Flew this puppy (and a couple others) back home with me from Virginia. This is the first beer I've had from Tröegs, and as soon as I tasted it, I regretted not picking anything up sooner. I know I've at least seen JavaHead somewhere before. Next time.

L: Perfectly clear orange amber body, no haze at all. Head was a short-lived little show. No lacing, not even a lingering film of foam to speak of. Huh. This is the first one I drank from a glass. Wasn't expecting it to look so boring.

S: I probably should have reviewed it sooner. The hops have become a touch oxidized. Regardless, heavy pine is the keystone aroma. Around it swirls mango, orange, lemon, plum, caramel, barley and quince.

T: Tastes very similar to Hop Ottin' from Anderson Valley, but cleaner, fresher and hoppier. Pretty similar to Torpedo as well, but I like Torpedo better. Very typical flavor profile for an IPA. Definitely a West Coast style hop schedule.

F: Very smooth and creamy, but it needs more bite for an IPA. It has some. But it needs more. It's not crisp.

O: Very decent flagship ale. Definitely would like to try some more brews from these guys.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This was a surprising beer for me! I didn't realize it was brewed next door in Hershey, PA. I ordered it at a restaurant with a less than average beer menu, and it surprised me! It was a great, hoppy American IPA with a nice sweetness to it. I had been kayaking on the Delaware River all day, so I decided I would try it again later, thinking maybe I loved it because any beer would be awesome after a long day of paddling. So I bought 6 bottles today to try it again and I love it! It doesn't have a great look or smell, but packs a great IPA taste. Multiple hop varieties in it...and at $10/six pack it is a great choice. I believe it is 7.5% abv. Overall an above average IPA, from Troegs BC.

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.94/5  rDev -3.2%

4.04/5  rDev -0.7%

4.16/5  rDev +2.2%

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Better than exceptional.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had it at my college's class of 1968 50th reunion. Aroma of hops with slight citrus undertones. Light amber color. Good body and tartness/bitterness.

4.04/5  rDev -0.7%

At $38 a case, it is the best value IPA in the region

Love the smell, taste and boldness that this beer carries. It feels like a light beer, but packs quite a nice punch. Overall, my favorite beer!

Perpetual IPA from Tröegs Brewing Company