Tröegs Perpetual IPA | Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: American IPA

At Tröegs, artisanal meets mechanical in a state of IPA we call Perpetual. Cycling through our HopBack vessel and dry-hopping method, this bold Imperial Pale Ale emerges rife with sticky citrus rind, pine balm and tropical fruit.

Added by thain709 on 08-11-2011

Ratings: 3,541 |  Reviews: 673

1.25/5  rDev -69.2%

1.5/5  rDev -63.1%

1.5/5  rDev -63.1%

1.66/5  rDev -59.1%

Bottled 10/31/2012 Batch 121003
Beware of this date and batch

Appearance: straw yellow pour with a thin whitish head, from the appearance you could've thought this was your typical Troegs Perpetual IPA.

Smell: I was expecting this beer to smell the same way it always does, piney, citrusy, juicy, hoppy goodness. However, I was sadly disappointed. It almost smelled like a Belgian ale with some sort of spices. Just from the smell, I knew this batch was gonna hurt my feelings.

Mouthfeel: this part of the beer was fine. The carbonation seemed like usual.

Taste: Again, I was expecting that hoppy, piney, delicious Perpetual flavor, but I got something I couldn't even explain. It didn't provide me with the flavor I have become accustomed to from this outstanding beer. All I could taste was cloves or something strange, for what I know this IPA to normally be.

Overall: This beer could have very easily ruined my night, if I didn't have a bunch of great beers to drink after. I have come to love this beer since it started year round production, but this must be a bad batch. I hate to say negative things about this beer, but I wanted to warn others of this specific batch. I got mine at a Wegmans.

Update: Per my friend Terry, he messaged Troegs on Facebook only to find out from them that Hurricane Sandy messed up this batch of beer and made it too yeasty. Not only were they willing to acknowledge their mistake, but they told him to bring the case to the brewery to rectify the problem with an exchange. He made out fine on the deal by getting a fresh one. I only bought to bottles, so I chugged them instead.

1.92/5  rDev -52.7%

2.25/5  rDev -44.6%

2.31/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Wow. Straight up, this thang kinda smells like the ripe underbelly of a skunk - while the taste is more like an average Pale Ale at best. Not stoked, Raul ain't stoked at all. What's going on here? Raul was pumped on this Tröegs offering, but like a Hershey kiss, Raul rather leave it in the wrapper.

*Consensus: terrible attempt at a West Coast IPA.

2.32/5  rDev -42.9%

2.34/5  rDev -42.4%
look: 5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle
Freshest by 08 08 16
Served in a snifter
Thanks to my father-in-law Neil for bringing a six-pack of this to our dinner party.

Gorgeous appearance. The crystal clear, amber colored body was capped by a three-finger tall, super tight and creamy, off-white crown. The head slowly fell to a lasting cap of foam. Large patches of thick, drippy lacing coated the glass.

The nose was very yeasty initially. Powdery and dry. Slightly sweet with very subtle earthy hop notes. Even as the head died down, the hops were very mellow. Half way through the glass, the hops finally began to come out. Moderate citrus notes. Orange peel was noticeable. Good dose of malty sweetness as well. This smelled more like an English pale ale than any type of double IPA I have ever encountered.

The flavor profile was very West Coast circa 2006. Quite malty and sweet up front. Bit of caramel malt. Pungent citrusy hops soon appeared and intensified as the beer moved along the palate. Candied orange peel was most noticeable initially. On the back end, the hops turned sharp and quite bitter. Super oily and resinous. The bitterness came through even more in the finish. Uber pithy and piney with an astringency that was off the charts.

The mouthfeel was light and frothy. Fairly thin for the style with a large bubbled and rather aggressive effervescence. The liquid felt somewhat airy on the palate.

Even with all the outstanding New England-style hoppy beers available in my area, I still feel like I have reasonable expectations when it comes to commonly available IPAs and double IPAs. That said, Tröegs Perpetual IPA is one of the worst examples of the style I have tried in a very long time. If you like palate wrecking, super resinous and bitter, over hopped beers, then this might be your thing. Otherwise, I would recommend steering clear of it.

2.39/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.48/5  rDev -38.9%

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.51/5  rDev -38.2%

Bought it 5/5/15 after started drinking say caned dated was 3/2/15. A little too old for an IPA so I assume it was just because it was old. Will find a fresher one and update this

2.58/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.66/5  rDev -34.5%

12oz bottle into Duvel artist tulip glass

A - light straw yellow. small head with large bubbles and mild lacing.

S - virtually non-existent. little to no hop aroma at all. light zestiness that reminds me more of a summer pale than an IPA.

T - better than the nose but also a slight let down. Mild hop at the front that fades quickly and finishes clean with very faint bitterness. very little similarities to most IPAs

M - very clean and refreshing. I could easily drink alot of these on a summer day...but not sure I would want to honestly.

O - unfortunately I just dont get the glowing reviews for this beer. I am usually a Troegs fan but this one fails to hit the mark. Easy to drink yes, but fails to live up to most all of the requirements for an IPA. Just meh, and barely that. I will give it another try and revise if needed. They deserve that at least.

Tröegs Perpetual IPA from Tröegs Brewing Company