Tröegs Perpetual IPA | Tröegs Brewing Company

Tröegs Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: American IPA

At Tröegs, artisanal meets mechanical in a state of IPA we call Perpetual. Cycling through our HopBack vessel and dry-hopping method, this bold Imperial Pale Ale emerges rife with sticky citrus rind, pine balm and tropical fruit.

Added by thain709 on 08-11-2011

Ratings: 3,513 |  Reviews: 671

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had this before from the bottle, but received a can from the legendary woodychandler, and found it to be better. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is full of hops, citrus. Taste is lots of hops, tropical fruits, touch of malts, tasty and refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

A: mildly rough pour out of a can into a glass gives away to nice white head that dissipates quickly into a thin line with mild clouding floating on top. Beautiful golden color and very clear.

S: grapefruit, orange, maybe mango along with a balancing breadiness.

T: A good mix of citrus and pine, followed by breadiness and then a balancing bitterness. some toffee and caramel on follow up sips. It's fresh from the cooler but I bet this will get a little boozy as it warms.

M: Decent coating of the mouth. Kinda prickly with the carbonation. Very refreshing but very drying as it glass empties. Definitely bitter bite with the finish that is providing that dryness. Keeps you having to drink more.

O: Very good IPA. Love that it is in a can and in 12 packs. I'll be looking for these again in the spring and summer. Great smell, great taste.

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

4.75/5  rDev +17%

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.75/5  rDev +17%

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

The CANQuest (TM) had been hearing noises that sounded like CANs coming from Hershey, but it was not until Sunday night during a visit to The Fridge in advance of a visit from my local trader, tone77, that I spied this one and Troegenator on the shelf. The CANQuest (TM) is honored to have the first CAN review on this site as part of the approach to CANQuest Review # 1000!

From the CAN: "Pack it in, Pack it out!" The graphics are beautiful with the gears having been rendered marvelously and I am certain that Jeff Lebo will be proud to have it in his collection.

The Crack! was nice and loud and the inverted Glug got me off and running. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning, opening a long-desired present to begin playing with it. I have become masterful at this practice and the pour was picture-perfect, resulting in two dense fingers of French Vanilla-colored head with excellent retention. A brief pseudo-cascade resulted, finalizing in a beautifully clear golden-yellow (SRM = > 5, < 7) and rather than fighting, Mammon, Croesus and Midas defaulted to yours truly, clapping as I took my first sip. I leaned in for a sniff first, taking in a tropical pungency of mango, tangerine, papaya and grapefruit. My mouth was watering and the hops monkey on my back also made a sudden appearance! I began to feel as though something historical was going to happen when I hit the "review" button, but then my homeboy, nick "the tick" D717 chimed in, reminding me that it would only be hysterical, as usual. I tied off, raised a toast to nickD717, and hit paydirt. Man, it came on like an Acela train between stations, high-flying and stopping for nothing and no one. The mouthfeel was medium, but who cares? I was gettin' my hops fix, baby! It had a tropical fruitiness underlain by a grapefruit bitterness and the monkey began to settle down. I looked down and ... Jumpin' Jehosephat! I had already CANsumed half of the beer in my glass. It may have been excitement, but I would rate the Drinkability high on this one, if such a designation still existed on this site. Finish was dry and biting and when I listened closely, I could hear the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara Desert. Phew! This may not make an ideal outdoor beer at 7.5% ABV, but in that case, I want to put Sunshine Pils on my CAN Want List prior to the summer.

Tröegs Perpetual IPA from Tröegs Brewing Company