Tröegs Mad Elf | Tröegs Brewing Company

Pennsylvania Honey West Coast Cherries

Added by WilliamPhilaPa on 12-14-2002

Reviews: 1,246 | Ratings: 3,834
4.51/5  rDev +16.8%

Beer poured into my tulip glass from a growler purchased today. It poured a nice honey - red color with a 1 inch head. Honestly, the most inviting beer I've ever had. lacing left a nice bubbly coating on the glass as I drank.

Smell began with some bready smells, but as the head disolved, it turned to honey and cherries, with alchohol behind it.

As the beer hits your tongue, the first flavor you taste is a bitey sweetness. this is probably due to the cherries involved in the brew. I also taste a lot of bready notes. The high ABV can't be tasted, as far as I can tell. This is a very great tasting brew.

I can see this beer getting dangerous to those that aren't familiar with it. This beer feels great in the mouth, light enough to make you want more, but it has some weight behind it to make you know you're drinking something.

I really, really dig this ale. if the ABV wasn't so high, this would be a constant (as much as it could be, given it's limited run) for me. I don't know why people have said that this tastes like cough syrup, because I sure can't taste it.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Great logo on the bottle and a great name. I am not impressed with the taste though. They went too over the top with spices in my opinion.

What it does do is offer a wonderful aroma. It smells like christmas inside that bottle. The taste however makes it not very high on drinkability.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

A- Pours to a light red with a small off-white head.

S- Immediate honey and alcohol. Cherries near the end.

T- Lots of flavors. Starts with a light cherry. A little bit of your winter spices - cloves and nutmeg. I thought that there would be more of an alcohol presence at 11%. It was there, but only slightly. I've had beers at half the ABV that tasted like it they had more than this brew.

M- Very smooth. Moderate carbonation that felt just about right.

D- Very good beer. I don't think that I've had a beer with this high an ABV that I felt that I could drink multiples without a problem. Although, you probably shouldn't drink much more than a single.

3.54/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Red like scotch and it looks like a scotch. When I pour the beer it sounded like ginger ale. Fizzing and popping and a head gone so fast if you blinked you would miss it. Now there so few bubbles left in my glass you could count them.

The smell is quite good. Reminds of Sam Adams cherry wheat. A big sour cherry smell and some alcohol.

Taking a sip you get whooped by a sour cherriness, followed by an alcohol burn, and a honey flavor to put out the flame. Complex flavors, a hint of spices, cloves. Maybe brewed with a wheat yeast.

Goes down smooth. The glass is half empty already, drinkable and likable. Sneaky beer, I am felling the effect of this high gravity beer already because it goes down quickly.

A very interesting unique beer. Could use better carbonation, less carbonation, to bring out more flavor.

3.9/5  rDev +1%

A- Pours a deep reddish amber with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly - some lacing remains on the glass as it warms

S- Sour cherries, cloves, maybe orange peel?

T- A dry start with honey and cherries quickly becoming prominent with sweetness. No real harshness or alcohol burn.

M- Medium-bodied with medium carbonation. Balanced nicely.

D- Alcohol is hidden well, but you need to be aware. The fruity flavor may make this appealing, but I'd have to stop at one.

I look forward to this one every holiday season, then I may only have one or two. 11% for this one is a bit scary, but all in all, it's a nice beer.

4.59/5  rDev +18.9%

Appearance: Poured a murky dull red color with some copper and caramel coloring. No head, but lacing clings to the glass as I swirl.

Smell: Strong cherry aroma; also lots of honey and sweet malt. It is very thick smelling if that makes any sense. Some spice comes through as well. Awesome smelling beer.

Mouthfeel: Thick, heavy, viscous. Very little carbonation.

Taste: Ohhh mama! A year in the cellar has mellowed this to perfection. The bite and slightly green flavor is gone. No hops that I can discern, but at 15 IBU that is no surprise. That isn't what this beer is about anyway. The slick and juicy sweet flavors roll all around the mouth, with the cherries exhibiting both tarnessa nd sweetness. The malts and honey give body and additional sweetness, almost giving it the consistency of a mead. A bit of spicing rounds out the flavor and keeps things from going over the top on the sweetness scale. There is some dryness at the back, presumably because of the intense amount of alcohol.

Drinkability: What can I say? Somehow this 11.25% monster is drinkable...very drinkable. Don't drink too many, as you will be red faced and making a fool of yourself. The sweetness is very high and tart and dry are the only balancing factors, but I still can't get enough.

Overall: Given sufficient time to mature, this is one of the most drinkable, comples, and fun winter beers around. Tip of the cap to the Brothers Trogner.

3.92/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: A maroon to slightly amber beer. A bit of carbonation. Some cream-colored head that fades very fast with little or no lacing.

Smell: Reminders of brandy to the nose. The cherries are there but are not overwhelming. A bit of alcohol.

Taste: Let it warm up. About 55F. Now the flavor is coming out! Lots of fruit, alcohol, nice rounded malt. Just a bit of tartness at the end, but not sour.

Mouthfeel: Has a bit of a lager feel. Tastes like an ale, but has a clean finish for a mouthfeel.

Drinkability: This is a delicious ale. The cherries add a festive quality and the sweetness blends with the alcohol nicely.

This is my Christmas beer for the year. I will be enjoying this beer in my snifter by the fire while watching the snow fly.

3.59/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - Somewhat dark, when poured has about an inch tall head. Good looking winter beer.

S - Obvious cherry and a bit of honey. Decent combination of the cherry, honey, and alcohol. It's a strong beer, so I was expecting to smell some booze. They did a good job of putting this beer together through the nose. Once you smell it, you want a sip.

T - You get a lot of the smell in the taste. Cherry, Honey, and alcohol are present. I will say that they did mask the alcohol well, but still a little much for me.

M - A little intense from the alcohol, but its rather smooth.

O - I was really excited to try this one. I'm glad I did, but I won't be buying another case. That being said, I would recommend trying this beer. If I can get it in a growler or on tap somewhere I will drink again but a case is a little too much. I think there are better strong belgian ales out there, but still overall a good beer and can understand the hype.

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

on tap @ The office

poured into a smaller-than-a-pint-glass glass (highball maybe, not sure). A small light tan head that didn't bother to stick 'round too long. A nice deep amber color with only a few small bubbles floating to the top.

smells like sweet malts, and some fruits... not sure which ones really. a bit of a boozy smell was around too. or was that someone next to me?

taste of sweet malts is right up front, with the fruits showing up as a ripe cherry taste. it's thick in taste. not much bitterness at all in this one. a slight flash of hot alcohol was also there... but just barely. the warming in my gut the real alcohol 'flash'. the bitterness finally showed a bit in the finish to dry things out a bit.

somewhat of a thick mouthfeel but given all that is put in, this is to be expected. the carbonation is there, but limited as you might expect.

this is a beer i only enjoy once a year really. not something i can drink so often even though i do have a liking for beers with the sweet malt characteristic.

the bottle version of this is also slightly different, although i would need to have a taste of it, as i haven't had the bottled version in about 2 years...

4.82/5  rDev +24.9%

Sometimes you can't forget your first.

My first Mad Elf was on a bitingly cold Sunday morning. My brother and I were in a parking lot, tailgating at an annual Eagles game and waiting for some steak to cook while huddling over our plastic cups of beer. After several Coors Lights (no shame there - great tailgate beer), my bro pulls out two Mad Elf's and tells me I have to try this stuff.

Wow. Loved it. Still do.

(2007 bottle, poured 1/5/09)

A dark reddy brew with a nice but quickly dissapating head, the sweet cherry-themed bready aroma invites you into each sip. Sure, there is a hint of alcohol in the nose and taste but we're talking about an 11% alcohol content here. After a few sips you stop noticing.

Smooth enough to drink fast but who would want to waste it? Great malty mouthfeel yet a light/medium body. A slighty high carbonation keeps pace with the other elements and dissipates quickly on the tongue. Love the tangy sweet finish in the back and sides of the tongue and the pleasant warming sensation as it travels down the throat.

If you can stand to let it age, it only gets better. I'm tempted to crack into my few remaining 2006 bottles but willpower has held out so far.

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours deep copper with ruby highlights and a thin tan head. Aromas of yeast, banana esters, bubble gum, and spices. Present in the background are sour cherries, dark fruits, and orange-poppy seed muffins. Cherries become more pronounced as this warms. Flavor is sour yeast and cherry, astringent spices, and a sour/spicy finish. Nice sweet and tangy mouthfeel, medium carbonation.

3.94/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a Mad Elf glass which was purchased solely to drink Mad Elf out of. Where a screened on date would normally appear, happy holiday's appears. No born on date, vintage to be found.

Really nice dark-ruby color. Almost like a brown that has some red injected into it. One finger of head dissipates kind of quickly, though not uniformly. Some parts still have 1/2 finger of head when the first holes in the wedding-dress-white head come through.

A delicious smelling beer. Cherries, honey and Belgian yeast; everything the beer said it had. Some alcohol present as well, but at 11%, that's to be expected. A really nice smelling beer.

Really big finish, with a lot of cherries and a lot of alcohol both present at different stages featuring different intensities. A real nice sweet honey flavor on the tip of the tongue that is probably the highlight of the beer. No really transitory flavors; kind of goes from a honey/nectar bomb to a cherry/alcohol bomb, although the finish kind of has a ginger ale-type quality to it; it's alcohol, but alcohol that tastes like Canada Dry Ginger Ale. Obviously, it's a young, young beer, so that will probably be smoothed over over time. I think I remember on the Troegs tour the guy mentioned Mad Elf was fermented for some ridiculously short amount of time, something like 9 weeks(though I may be mistaken), so this beer needs a lot of time. This beer has the potential to be great in 12 months. As for now, two big distinct flavors, not much in between. Like a sandwich on fresh out of the oven olive-oil and sun-dried tomato cibada bread with a kraft single in the middle.

There's some, but there is not a lot, which I think goes back to the needing more time problem. It does not have much carbonation, so it's no real problem to swallow. It's pretty well made, and it's a very smooth beer, which the alcohol hidden for most of the mouth. Some really big palate gripping in the back of the mouth, almost offensive at times. Nice mouthfeel; let's age it and see if it gets a Barry Bonds in the late 90's level mouthfeel. It's got the potential to.

Can you drink one and not realize it's 11% ABV? Absolutely. Can you drink more than one and not realize you're drinking an 11% alcohol beer? Now we're getting into the land of 'maybes' and 'probably nots' Even in the first one, some nice warming alcohol is present. For one, the drinkability is almost perfect; for more than one it's less than impressive. So it's above average but not quite good.

Why write last remarks on this beer so early? I'll be back in 12 months. And probably 24. This is a 'Lost:Season 1' beer: total cliffhanger with a huge reason to believe it's going to be fantastic.

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

Very interesting beer. Pours a dark, dark amber. Great looking beer. Nothing overpowers in the aroma and that translates into the taste. Slight hints of cherry and honey. Again nothing overpowers. Very balanced and drinkable. Especially considering the ABV.

2.92/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into Portsmouth Brewery tulip. Sat out of fridge for ten minutes before opening. Picked this up a few months ago and figured it was time to drink it, even though the holidays have passed.

A: Pours a deep ruby with a quickly dissipating off-white head, which forms a thin halo. Lots of floaties in the glass, which I was not expecting. Not terrible, but I would have liked this to be more filtered.

S: Clove, bubble gum, and cherries. True to the style, but not things I usually want in my beer. It doesn't smell bad by any means, but I can tell this isn't going to be my favorite.

T: Sweet with the same notes of bubble gum and cherries. Again, not my thing.

M: The ABV is high and you can tell. There is a pretty substantial burn at the end of each sip down my throat. I had thought about sitting on this for a year and, while I doubt I would like the flavor that much more, this would have probably improved. As is, however, I'm not a fan.

O: In hindsight, I'm not sure why I bought this beer. I'm not a huge fan of the style and I tried as much as possible to enjoy it, but it's just not growing on me as I drink it more. At least I know to pass on buying it next year and I'm thankful I only got one.

4.71/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

What a Fantastic Brew! this is one of those Beers, that as soon as you pop that top and smell it,your heart starts racing,and you just know it is going to be something very special ~and Indeed it is,the nose is sweet,with Honey and a hint of Cherries and malts,~the taste pretty much follows the nose,sweet[but not cloying] you pick up the Honey and though you do get a nice Cherry note, it is more in the background then in your face,and does not have that "Cough Drop" Medicinal taste you get with a beer like "Sam Adams Cherry Wheat"~taste more like fresh cherries,and it IS Tasty as Hell,also would never know this Beer is 11% A.B.V.,Because I do not ever get that alcohol burn or boozy tatse,but perhaps that is Because I drink a lot of High A.B.V. Strong Beer's and Ales~this is not a Beer you knock back with your buddies while watching the Game or playing Poker,this is a Top Notch [IMHO] World Class Brew,it is a Beer you Savor and take your time to enjoy it's Amazing Flavors and the brewer's Art,what a BEER! Cheers 2 All;]

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a dark coppor color into my Maudite snifter. Small one finger head which leaves quickly. Little to no lacing

No overpowering smell. Faint sweetness with some cherry.

Tastes of sweet cherrys and malt. The alcohol is masked very well.

Medium body more like a "heavy medium" Slight carbonation.

This is a great sipper. Something to hold and enjoy the evening with. It is so very smooth and easy to drink that at 11% abv I could easily ruin the next morning if I am not careful.

4.68/5  rDev +21.2%

22oz bomber poured into a glass

A: A dark ruby red with a two-finger off-white foamy head.

S: Smells like cherries, yeasty

T: Cherries, some honey flavoring. Very malty as well.

M: Crisp, carbonated and hides the 11%

Overall: This was a first try and this beer was amazing. Wow!

4.28/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a brilliant near ruby red, with a thick head of bright white foam. The foam reduces quickly, enabling the cherry and honey flavors of the nose to stand out as well as the noticeable but not unagreeable scent of alcohol. These notes are borne out in the taste as well. Eminently drinkable, though with a slightly thinner mouthfeel than I would have expected from this style. This is a quibble however as the Mad Elf is one fine winter brew.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Bottle to tulip glass

A: deep reddish brown, to bourbon orange. small white head that disappears quickly. No lacing.

S: Spice, malt, alcohol.

T: Spicy maltiness, sourness of the cherry at the end. Warmth of the alcohol too. It all mixes well, nothing overpowering anything else.

M: Bubbles, smooth malt.

D: I could drink these all night. Certainly the best Winter Beer I've had this year. Smooth, and the high alcohol is almost unnoticeable as it works well to bring out the warm malts, substantial body of the honey, tart cherries, and collective holiday spices. Highly recommended.

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Mad Elf is one of my favorite seasonal brews. This beer pours a clear red color with a head that dissipates quickly. As it color and smell indicates, the taste of this beer is a pronounced cherry with a hint of honey flavor. Mad Elf drinks very easy and goes down smooth. Here in lies the problem for those unaware of the 12% alcohol content. The fact that they sell this high powered beer in a 3 Liter format as a special item to accompany the 12 and 22 oz formats is truly MAD. Enjoy!

Serving Temp = 47 F.

Glass = Pint Glass.

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%

First time I've had this one from Troegs, I've had a few others from them before, and, overall, have been pleasentely surprised.

A- Amber to ruby hues...thin, whitish head with minimal lacing

S- Very interesting...definitely pick up some spice right away, but nothing in particular is jumping out at me...somewhat sweet and floral (but not in a bad way!), not necessarily what I was expecting from "an ale brewed with honey and cherries."

T- Again, kind of just like it smells...some spiciness and sweetness, yet nothing too overpowering, crisp, nice...and oh, yeah, at 11% you almost forget what you're drinking.

M- Medium bodied, minimal carbonation...surprisingly enough, you really can't taste alcohol even 11%

D- Overall, not my personal favorite, but not a bad beer by any means. Troegs doesn't disappoint with this one, and offers a dangerously easy drinker that, at 11%, could definitely get you in some trouble!

3.94/5  rDev +2.1%

A- Cherry/orange color, no head, lots of bubbles fizzing to the surface.

S- Lovely melange of scents. Bubblegum, cherry, alcohol, honey, and raisins.

T- Lots of cherry flavor, but in a good way (i.e. it's not cough syrup, but a nice, mellow authentic cherry) that combines with bubblegum, banana, and a ton of other flavors that I can't even pick out. This beer is endlessly interesting on the palate, always changing. The alcohol on this is really nice. It warms the throat and the spirit but it's really smooth going down so you barely notice it.

M- Soft carbonation that's quite right for this beer, and the alcohol, as mentioned, is done perfectly. Overall it is pretty thin-bodied but a very substantial beer nonetheless.

D- I love it a lot but the alcohol on this hits you hard; plus, the myriad of flavors gets frustrating after awhile even though the beer tastes great.

Not my favorite winter warmer, but it is without a doubt the most interesting.

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%

Tasted...12/14/2011
2010 keg on tap at the growler station @ Joe Canals... thank you

A: Pours a muddy crimson brownish color head completely dissipated, some minor lacing left behind.

S: Alcohol is there, but there is a fruit flavor... cherry-like. Interesting.

T: Alright this must have mellowed significantly, the booze flavor is not present and there is a nice tartness of cherries. Clove is also present, very enjoyable, and I'm not a big fan of the style.

M: Smooth very little carb.

O: I'm glad I went with the 2010 because they had 2011 as well, very nicely done again Troegs.

1.24/5  rDev -67.9%

Amount of Honey used is over-the-top with the amount of Cherries being over-the-top-of-the-top. A simply ridiculous beer by the master brewer Chris Troeg!

2.62/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Purchased at the Gingerbread Man in Carlisle, PA. Had to see what the hype was about, and I was not impressed. The beer had a dark red hue, with a very thin head that did not retain much aroma. Something mildly fruity was there, like watermelon. The first sip was metallic and stingy. Hot alcohol abounded. Midway through, the fruit came through more predominantly--strawberry mostly, and other juicy red fruits. It reminded me a bit of Juicy Fruit gum. I could not detect the spicy yeastiness normally associated with Belgian-style beers. The pint I had felt a little thin. It was not what I was expecting or hoping for in an American-made Christmas release of a belgian strong dark.

Tröegs Mad Elf from Tröegs Brewing Company