Tröegs The Mad Elf | Tröegs Brewing Company

Ratings: 3,933 |  Reviews: 1,272

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.54/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A friend recommended this beer to me, and I was not disappointed.

The beer was dark and served from tap in a 16 oz pint glass. It has instant sweetness in its taste -- cherries and almonds -- that is not too intense and blends well with the general dark beer flavor. Nothing about it seems artificial or forced, as can be the case with some flavored beers.

The ABV was a bit too high and prevented long term drinking, but perhaps this cannot be avoided. I hope that I drink it again.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Sweet and spicy, a mouthful of Christmas cheer - it's my favorite winter seasonal beer. It's flavorful and complex, but doesn't sit heavy in your stomach, plus the high alcohol content puts you in a nice place if you're with family that drives you nuts during the holidays.

I personally like sweet beers, and this one (with honey, cherries, and chocolate flavors) is definitely on the sweet side, so the subtle spice may not be enough to balance it out for those who prefer more spice and hoppy flavors.

You're supposed to drink Mad Elf out of a glass or chalice, but I had it straight from the bottle on this occasion. I recommend using a glass, because I couldn't smell the beer as well. I got a decent mouthful of both honey and cherry flavor when I tasted it (with moderate carbonation) and the spicy flavors lingered on my tongue, which I enjoyed.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

2.92/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into Portsmouth Brewery tulip. Sat out of fridge for ten minutes before opening. Picked this up a few months ago and figured it was time to drink it, even though the holidays have passed.

A: Pours a deep ruby with a quickly dissipating off-white head, which forms a thin halo. Lots of floaties in the glass, which I was not expecting. Not terrible, but I would have liked this to be more filtered.

S: Clove, bubble gum, and cherries. True to the style, but not things I usually want in my beer. It doesn't smell bad by any means, but I can tell this isn't going to be my favorite.

T: Sweet with the same notes of bubble gum and cherries. Again, not my thing.

M: The ABV is high and you can tell. There is a pretty substantial burn at the end of each sip down my throat. I had thought about sitting on this for a year and, while I doubt I would like the flavor that much more, this would have probably improved. As is, however, I'm not a fan.

O: In hindsight, I'm not sure why I bought this beer. I'm not a huge fan of the style and I tried as much as possible to enjoy it, but it's just not growing on me as I drink it more. At least I know to pass on buying it next year and I'm thankful I only got one.

Tröegs The Mad Elf from Tröegs Brewing Company