Tröegs The Mad Elf | Tröegs Brewing Company

Added by WilliamPhilaPa on 12-14-2002

Ratings: 3,928 |  Reviews: 1,271

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this one a little after the holidays, but still psyched to find it:

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a DFH snifter:

A-Ruby-red, little head and a tiny bit of lace

S-cherry, malt and booze

T-kind of a mess, maybe my sinuses are throwing me off, but it's a bit like cherry cough syrup

M-kind of thin

O-I expected more...

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanks for this one Alex!

Shared with Bigbobo before doing our Econ homework (Shoutouts to Marcus Casey!)

A- Pours a caramely brown with little head that recedes almost immediately leaving very little lacing

S- Strong dark fruits with some alcohol kick in the background

T- Cherries and some honey in the back but the dark fruits steal the show. Plums and figs kick your palate around but in a good way. Slight burn on the back end

M- A little too much carbonation for my liking. Not over the top but it could be a little smoother

O- I'm very impressed. I generally dislike BSDAs but this one is a winner. Can't wait to determine my cost/benefit analysis of drinking this beer

1.5/5  rDev -61%

4.08/5  rDev +6%

12 oz brown bottle, 2011 vintage

A - Brilliant cherry red, clear, a white soapy head at first that dissipates quickly, leaves little lacing.

S/T - Big yeasty nose, with some of the honey sweetness as well, and a touch of a rusty coin on the back end. Taste follows the nose, with a more pronounced sweet cherry mid palate, finishing with slightly tart cherry, honey sweetness, and a bit of booze. As it warms, it gets a similar to a cherry cordial.

M - Medium body, surprising considering the abv, with a lively medium carbonation, finishes mostly dry.

O - One of the beers that get me hooked on craft. I always look forward to its release each year. I still find this to be a solid beer, which I can't say about many of the beers I once thought were good.

4.71/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours ruby red with the slightest of off-white heads. Vanishes right away. Belgian spices and hints of cherry on the nose. Alcohol as well. Belgian spicy start to the flavor, not too agressive, but present. A bit of a saison-like funk as well. Viscous malts follow. Sweet, thick, caramel malt, hints of alcohol and the slightest hint of woodsy vanilla. Cherries and a bit more crisp spiciness closes it out.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.47/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was on-tap at Revivals Restaurant in Perkasie, PA.

Severed in a standard pint glass.

A - A deep, reddish brown color when presented with the brew. Mostly opaque. Little to no head on the beer. Moderate lacing left on the glass.

S - A slightly alcohol smell mixed with a fruity sweetness.

T - A decent beer. A mix of dark fruits like figs and cherries along with a caramel-like sweetness. The alcohol is pretty noticeable. I savored this for about a half-hour. Not a beer to be rushed through.

M - A pretty heavy beer. A heavier consistency.

O - I liked this beer but not something I'd return to. I like trying all sorts of beers but this isn't quite good enough for me to drink if I come across it again.

Cheers!

Served On: 02/05/2012
Glassware: Plastic Pilsner Glass
Labeled ABV: -
Date/ Code: -

Got this on tap from the Tröegs kiosk at a Hershey Bears game on Super bowl Sunday. Was not expecting this particular offering to be at a hockey game. All I can figure is they are trying to get rid of this season's batch.

Look: The beer was surprisingly clear and was a dark copper with a reddish hue. There was no real head, but a sticky film was present and hung around the entire time.

Smell: I noticed the Belgian yeast esters first. Then some sweet fruitiness. I want to say Lambic qualities - maybe?

Taste: The palate was hit with a medicinal sweetness at first. Then the Belgian funk set in. Things seemed to thin out in the middle with a residual sweetness and a dry finish starting to set in. The alcohol seemed well masked until the end. Also as the beer warmed, I noticed more heat.

This was a good brew. The higher ABV was incorporated very well. This was not like any Belgian Strong I’ve ever had before. Not a real fan of fruit-themed beers.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%