Scratch Beer 78 - 2012 (Fresh Hop Ale) | Tröegs Brewing Company

Scratch Beer 78 - 2012 (Fresh Hop Ale)Scratch Beer 78 - 2012 (Fresh Hop Ale)

Tröegs Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
troegs.com

Style: American IPA

So, just how fresh is our Fresh Hop Ale? Well, first we begin with 400 pounds of fresh, whole flower hops from B.T. Loftus Ranches in Yakima, WA. These hops are hand-picked right from the vine, placed into boxes, and immediately shipped to our brewery. Once they arrive, we pack a double dose of these glorious green, sticky cones into our hopback vessel until it is bursting at the seams. This equates to two pounds of hops per barrel! Due to the volatile nature of recently harvested hops, we must use them immediately in order to capture the bold aromas and flavors released by the hop oils. The payoff is a fresh, flavorful ale dripping with the essence of oily hop goodness.

Added by stakem on 10-10-2012

3.11/5  rDev -18.8%

12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Thanks go to Stakem for hooking me up with a bottle of this latest Scratch.

Pours a clear copper, with 1 ½ fingers of rich and sudsy bright-white head. This retains with a frothy ½ finger, which coats the sides of the glass with a rich sticky smattering of lace. The aroma smells of fresh herbs and raw earth, with a touch of lemon and some light ripe fruity notes. A semi-sweet graininess adds some tanginess to this across the back. That earthiness is rather sharp here in the nose.

The taste is bitter rind, gritty earth, grassy herbal textures, light fruit and some sweetness on the edges. This finishes dry, bitter and earthy. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a smooth and creamy texture in the mouth that has just a touch of crispness running down the center. Just a bit of warmth is present in the overall feel here.

I just couldn’t get on board with this one. I didn’t get a lot of pine, grapefruit or even tropical fruit and the whole thing just came off as grassy and raw with an unpleasant lingering bitterness. Maybe this didn’t translate well to the bottle or something. Anyway, this was a disappointment for me.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle into a classic style mug

A: Golden honey color, but is totally translucent with a thin white head and lots of bubbles evenly floating up even almost a minute after the pour, but maybe i missed on this one. This looks a lot more like a lager then an IPA

S: The is very floral lots of hops to start, but I do detect citrus and maybe even a hint of pine.

T: This is actually really hard to describe the best I can do is it follows the nose, but it is very light so the hops seem way more floral then hoppy. It is a little bitter but it doesn't last for too long. I guess this seems to me like a light IPA.

M: Very light pretty smooth not bad, but nothing special.

O: I got this as an extra so I can't really disappointed, but I don't think I would try to get it again. Its just way too light for me i don't even think I can consider it an IPA, but maybe I'm just a hophead.

3.38/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes.

Pour is a very pale yellow that I can't quite see through, but doesn't appear to be murky. Maybe I need bifocals. Nose isn't the best part of the beer - grapefruity, but I need to bury my nose to ID.

Scratch Beer #78 is what I've come to expect from this series - pretty good. There's a ton of grapefruit, a strong sweet malt tweet, & at the end a nice bitter twang. The only true note of interest is a touch of mango coming in sideways.

Standard IPA that doesn't get its head above the crowd, despite the fresh hopping. Troegs: if you're going to continue this series, get creative, please? Pretty good IPA.

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance
Amber with low carbonation and excellent clarity.

Nose
Grapefruit juice, papaya, bread and caramel.

Taste
The hops don't seem to be popping like I had hoped. Grapefruit juice, papaya and some strange (but good) strawberry banana flavors. Very bready malts with hints of caramel.

Mouthfeel
Light-medium bodied, very crisp and refreshing.

Overall
Incredibly mellow and easy drinking Fresh Hop Ale, especially at 7.7%. But again, the hops don't seem to be kicking as much as they should.

3.51/5  rDev -8.4%

I had this at the November Baltimore Area BA tasting. Poured from the bottle into a tasting snifter.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy golden amber color with a quarter finger of white head that sticks around while you drink your beer.

Smell: Quite mild. I'm getting some bready malt along with a hint of hop bitterness, but not a ton going on here.

Taste: Some citrus fruit along with sweet malt. I'm getting some hops, but they aren't overly strong. The malt taste is bready with a fruity undertone. The finish is sweet and malty underneath with bitter hops on top.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium with carbonation that is foamy and smooth. The finish is rather dry.

Overall: I didn't think this IPA was very aggressive, perhaps a bit safe. The carbonation level was just perfect and I still enjoyed the beer overall.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Nugget Nectar pint glass.

A - Pours a golden color with just a halo of white head. Just slightly hazy with lots of carbonation flowing through the body. Some lacing clings to the glass.

S - Smells of powerful citrus and dank hops. Fresh cut grass and some grainy bread as well. Tart lemon spice gives it some characteristics of a pale wheat ale.

T - Follows the nose closely. Lemon, pepper, and floral hops. I would think there was wheat in this beer. Sweet flavors mostly with just a faint bitterness.

M - Lively carbonation and a medium-light body.

O - This beer is very different from what I am used to in fresh hop ales. It is very lemony and peppery as a pale wheat would be. Some hops come through in the flavor, although the majority are in the nose. I would like to kick back on a few of these on a hot day, but it isn't my idea of a great IPA. Troegs should stick to Perpetual.

3.69/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Draft at The Pour House in Westmont, NJ.

Pours a hazy dark golden yellow color with a 1.5 finger pillowy, white foam head that very slowly settles into a lasting ring.  Streaks of soapy lace left behind.

Dank floral hop aroma with a subtle pale malt presence.  Fresh juicy hops with resinous pine and citrus peel countered by bready yeast and biscuity makt.  Some grapefruit and pineapple countering grassy hops and pine needles.

Medium bodied with a blast of juicy, sticky hops up front that linger over the pale malts into a dry finish.  Sticky, dry and bitter with resinous pine and grassy spruce tip notes.  This is countered by citrus and tropical fruit notes as well as a decent pale malt backbone.  Some grapefruit, pineapple and lemon peel followed by bread, biscuit and graham cracker.  Decent hoppy beer that's well balanced and easy to drink.  Nothing too out of the ordinary but enjoyable nonetheless.

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-golden amber color with a nice white head and some lacing

S-strong citrus, pine, light floral,notes

T-malt, grapefruit, pine, slight floral, moderate bitter hop finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp

O-a decent IPA with some good flavors, easy drinking

Scratch Beer 78 - 2012 (Fresh Hop Ale) from Tröegs Brewing Company