Yunkin' Punkin' | Manayunk Brewery and Restaurant

Availability: Fall

Added by Kegatron on 10-18-2010

4.5/5  rDev +28.6%

4.48/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Take one mobile CANning line, one regional brewer, one CANquester (TM) and one trip to The Foodery (Northern Liberties) and what do you get? A happy Woodman!

From the CAN: "Brewed with real pumpkin, this seasonal favorite is the one true indication that fall has arrived. The aroma of nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon and clove jump out of the glass creating an experience much like eating a slice of pumpkin pie on a brisk autumn afternoon."; "Brewed with Pumpkin & Spices".

After being let down by Pumpy Drunkle or whatever his name was, I am losing faith in pumpkin ales. A loud Crack followed by an inverted Glug, resulting in just over two fingers of dense, orangish head may restore me. Color was a deep coppery-orange (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was definitely spicy, as indicated on the CAN, but I could not really discern one from the other. Certainly, nutmeg and clove were up front, but the malt seemed to be fighting it out with the cinnamon. Don't even ask me about allspice. The mouthfeel was very creamy and the taste was very much like pumpkin pie! I was impressed with this one from the first sip. The spices were not as riotous on the tongue as they had been on the nose, and now, cinnamon was king. Letting it just roll around on my tongue to warm, the clove and nutmeg began to assert themselves, indicating that there may be a threshold at which it should be drank, not too cold. Finish was dry as a result of all of the spices, but not so dry that I needed my asthma inhaler.

Break out the spice rack, boys, we're going to the orchard in search of the next great pumpkin (ale)!

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev +17.1%

64 oz growler into a pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear copper, with 1 ½ fingers of rigid off-white foamy head. This has a nice rich looking retention to it, hanging around with a sturdy ½ finger cap that leaves some strong spotty lacing behind. The pumpkin flavors are quite flavorful here in the aroma but are not coming off as overly sharp as its cut by the sweetness of the malts, which is then in turn balanced out by some green and earthy hops. Just a real nice evenness to the nose here, with that hop character in particular being very welcome.

The great balance is evidenced in the taste as well, with spice, roasted pumpkin, sweetness, and those green hops all working in harmony. There isn't necessarily a ton of bitterness from the hops here but those green and earthy flavors are more than enough to help balance this. Thankfully, the pumpkin flavors and spice are what the linger the most, giving this a satisfying festive finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a prickly and crisp feel throughout but still staying generally smooth overall in the mouth and I'm actually finding this to be quite easy drinking for a Pumpkin Ale.

Wow, this one took me a bit by surprise and I have to thank sholland119 and vickster529 for the recommendation on this. I really have to credit the hop profile here, as it balanced and fit in perfectly with the other flavors, and gave this a refreshing quality that you usually don't find in the style. I'm usually one and done after a glass of a Pumpkin Ale but in this case, I found myself going back to the growler again and again. This is definitely one of the highlights of the season so far for me.

4.02/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Manayunk Brewing Company, "Yunkin' Punkin' Ale"
12 oz. can, no apparent freshness dating.

It smells like a pumpkin pie, meaning that I get the pumpkin pie spices and a little touch of background sweetness, but it's not too much. The first sip then totally tastes of pumpkin pie: the pumpkin pie spices are in balance, and there's just a bit of sweetness to it. That sweetness lingers gently for a short moment, and then fades while the spices stick around for a little bit longer, just dulled in their appearance. In a pleasant twist, even after a full serving the spices don't really build on the palate - very nice! And if you like pumpkin spice, it's almost compelling in a way, giving you just enough to make you want more, which, I think, is something that I've never said about a pumpkin beer before!

I mainly appreciate the balance that it has. The spices and pumpkin flavor are not overdone, as is often the case, nor is the malt. It's easy to make a bombastic beer that's sweet and spicy (and usually has too much cinnamon), but that's not the case here. Instead it's remarkably drinkable, or at least as drinkable as any spiced beer can be.

Normally when I review a pumpkin or spiced holiday ale I note how I think it might pair with a meal (for example, this would be great with a baked ham, it's true!), but what I thought of when I drank this was that I'd enjoy one of these just hanging out with the guys; in fact, I'd pretty much drink one of these at any time of the year. Why not?

The new rating system has thrown me off a bit here, but I definitely feel it's better than a 3.75

3.9/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.83/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had this from the can shared with JC (carlos) enjoyed in a teku, can purchased at Monde Market.

The color is copper with good clarity, Smell has a spicy ginger, nutmeg aroma with a slight cinnamon note. The feel is sligtly thin, mildly spicy with a dry aspect and moderately carbonated.
The taste is good with a slight cinnamon woodiness and ale yeast flavors bring out a fruitiness with sweet caramel and dark sugar augmenting the spice flavor. Overall a good example, but not great I would say give it a try -the spice level is a bit high

3.78/5  rDev +8%

Manayunk's Yunkin' Punkin' was a beer I've never seen, but since it was local and I was going to a pumpkin carving party, I thought I'd give it a try. I picked up a growler of this at the pub at Whole Foods in Plymouth Meeting. The pumpkin spice was restrained, but noticeable with cinnamon and nutmeg. The color was a nice orange-amber like pumpkin pie filling. There wasn't much pumpkin flavor that I could discern but it seemed to have the body that I associate with it. The bitterness was only faintly present to make it beer-like. I liked this a lot and drank at least half the growler.

3.78/5  rDev +8%

Had a glass at the Cold Point Pub in the Plymouth Meeting Whole Foods for $3. It appeared a clear amber with a short white head. The aroma is a standard mix of spiced pumpkin pie with a little extra candy character - maybe from the cinnamon and close. The body is smooth and balanced and while the aftertaste is pretty light, there are pleasant toffee and pumpkin roll (the baked good). The flavor is a little spice heavy, but the malts come through. And that's certainly not to say that this is a heavy beer. There's a slight kick of bitterness, but this is a subtle and sessionable pumpkin ale overall. Definitely worth a try. It has a good pumpkin character without going overboard.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L: No real head, small ring of lacing. Hazy brownish orange color.
S: Some pumpkin spice - mostly nutmeg - but not overpowering.
T: Nice! Pumpkin spice and actual pumpkin flavors come though with a little bit of bitterness.
F: Thin and smooth