Thomas Hooker Octoberfest Lager | Thomas Hooker Brewing Company

Thomas Hooker Brewing Company
Connecticut, United States | website

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Originally brewed to celebrate the beginning of the German brewing season and the 1810 wedding of crown prince Ludwig of Bavaria and his bride-to-be, princess Therese of Saxon-Hildburghausen. This amber beer was brewed in March ("Marzenbier") and left to age in cool lagering caves during the heat of the summer. Our rich and satisfying Bavarian-style OctoberFest comes from a special blend of imported German malts that creates a full-bodied brew and stresses a malty flavor and lingering aroma. Gently hopped and delicately balanced, its true-to-style, slow fermentation and long, cold maturation produces a luxuriously smooth, award-winning brew.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-03-2003

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
Reviews: 163 | Ratings: 267
4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

from 2006
A-A hazy dark amber/brownish color, white heads that fades to a ring in about two min. Some lacing but it's not very sticky.

S- Candy sugars and some yeast, very sweet, no hop aroma

T- again on the sweet side of things, tastes like a lot of other octoberfests I've had. toasted sugars, nutty, just a bit of hop bitterness to even it out.

M- At first I felt it was more carbonated than other TH beers, whatever the case, it is still smooth and goes down easy. light mouth feel

D- good drinkablility

Edit:
I had the 2008 version, and I have to say that is the BEST Octoberfest I've had all season. It is just full of flavor and makes others seem watered down, just really good stuff!

the 2006 got a B from me, but now I'm changing its score for 2008

3.66/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Man...my first time with a Hooker and it's a HUGE disappointment. I'd built up this moment: Put on a special cologne (ok, it was deodorant, but it made me smell real nice), combed my hair (ok, I actually shave my head, but I rubbed my bald head somewhat nervously), dressed in the nicest pair of sweat shorts that I've ever had an ex-girlfriend make for me and made for the fridge.

Appearance: This is a lovely beer, to be sure. Deep, auburn with a beautiful tan head. Tight carbonation, sticks around longer than I did when I was dating that chick who played the accordian. (Never did hear her play, either. A regret, like you would not believe.)

Smell: Truthfully, I get one bigass snootfull of yeast. Please recall that I have a nose the size of a 57 Buick Roadmaster. It's a sensitive motherfucker. I can smell dogshit from a mile away. Thankfully, this didn't smell like that. It smelled like yeast. No, not that kind of yeast. I realize this is a Hooker and all, but come on. Show some class.

Taste: Damn, I'm disappointed. First time I get to stick my tongue in a Hooker and it's defining characteristic is "marginally sweet"? I was hoping for some brown sugar, maybe some dates. Bring me some figgy pudding, if you knowhamsayn...(ok, I don't actually know what I'm saying either. Basically this tastes like a very malty Michelob, and I'm angry as fuck that I know what a Michelob tastes like). Ok, I'm just being mean. It doesn't taste anything like a Michelob (although, I understand that the night actually belongs to Michelob). It is disappointing, however. It's a marginally sweet lager, with no real distinguishing characteristics. I'm sure it's a lovely dancer.

Mouthfeel: You'd think a Hooker would have more body, but this one ain't got no junk in the trunk whatsoever. Disappointingly thin, with a presence that disappears into the pint glass. Baby ain't got NO back.

Drinkability: Well, the truth of the matter is that you could drink this beer all night long. I just don't think you'd enjoy it much. Take this Hooker out for dinner, just don't drive her home.

3.48/5  rDev -11%

I have to say that I have a little bit of a warm spot in my heart for Thomas Hooker since meeting one of the founders at the Higgins Festival of Ale this year. That's actually where I had the Hooker Oktoberfest for the first time, too, and after a nice conversation at the Hooker table, I got sent home with a free six of this. I say this partially to just give Hooker some kudos for keeping a future customer happy, but also as a bit of a disclaimer on my review. I'm trying to be fair here, but I do like free beer.

Pours a deep amber - a little darker than some other maerzten I've seen this year. Nice thin tannish head settles around the rim of the glass. There's some staying power to the thin layer that remains after a few minutes.

The nose has a yeasty vegetable aspect with a sweet maltiness hiding back behind there.Nice.

A heavyier, more bitter taste than I was expecting, but not necessarily bad. This beer focuses pretty strongly on the vegetable, deeper tones of the lager yeast. There's a little sweetness in there, but not as much as you might find in other Oktoberfests. None of the spicy character that other Oktoberfests sometimes exhibit. This is about the yeast and hops with just a little sweetness.

Mouthfeel is a little bit slick, but with a sharp tingle of bubbly carbination.

Overall this is an interesting Oktoberfest that is quite a bit different from many of the sweeter, spicyier maertzen beers out there this year.

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Nice amber/orange color

S - Malt, caramel, some hops

T - Awesome. That's all I can say. Tastes like pure caramel, crystal malts, nice hop finish. Very, very pleasant. Easily the best Oktoberfest I had this year.

M - Low carbonation, great for style

D - Pretty good; I was not expecting this to be 6%. I could drink a few of these in a row, but probably not the six.

I had a different Oktoberfest immediately following this one and I was surprised at how watered-down it tasted... it couldn't hold a candle to it. I

4.31/5  rDev +10.2%

This beer poured a beautiful, bright orange color with a solid head and long lasting lacing. The nose was sweet and malty, and the taste was prefect to style. Very well balanced - caramel malt at first followed by some noble hop crispness. Overall, the best Octoberfest I've had this year.

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a clear, deep copper color with a one-finger tan head that goes down quickly. The smell is predominantly of sweet malts and a little bit of spice. The taste is also of lightly sweet malts and some spices coming on later. This is a nice clean taste with a dry finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp. Drinkability is very good. Overall, this is a tasty and very enjoyable beer that I'm sure I'll return to each fall.

4.64/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured dark orange / light brown with decent head.

Nice bready and caramel malt aroma with some hints of earthy hop presence. The layers of malty complexity of this brew are simply staggering. I detected strong toasty, and toffee flavors up front with hints of roasted coffee, and faint chocolate flavors that meld toghether beautifully and are balanced nicely on the back end by a medium hop bitterness. The full mouthfeel, medium carbonation, and clean finish make you want to keep coming back for more. An excellent brew, and the best batch of octoberfest I've sampled from Hooker.

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

I am impressed with the Thomas Hooker line of beers from the Trout Brook Brewery in Hartford, CT. Love this one and look forward to its annual appearance in the stores! It pours a deep amber color with a thin white head which lasts. The smell is of yeast and toffee. Taste is of malt, caramel with faint alcohol notes on the finish. Mouthfeel is of medium carbonation which fades. Actually the flavor is more pronounced and enhanced when less chilled. One of the best October Fest beers--very easy drinking and tasty.

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

Great Clean Taste - No Sharp Bite

Love That This Stuff Is Pure CT - Couldn't Find It In Boston! Compares To Great Beers Had In Munich/Stuttgart/Rottenberg/Tübingen.

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%

A new favorite.
Found this at Stew Leonard's only a few miles from the brewery so it was sure to be fresh.
A very nice copper maybe closer to burnt orange color with a nice malty smell.
The taste was fantastic, it had the typical malty Marzen flavor but you could also taste some hops, not too much but enough to let you know they're in the beer.
There was a mild sweet aftertaste that disappeared quickly.
I like the fall because I like finding Marzen style beer and this one will make its way into the seasonal routine, it may even be pushing some of the others off the shelf a bit.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance: Crystal clear orange-amber. A tad dark for the style. Nice whiteish cream-colored head from a gentlish pour. Nearly disappears after 2-3 minutes.

Smell: Soft malty notes with slight moneral character.

Taste: Malty presence, mild sweetness with some minor astringency (6-row?, roasted barley?). With well-balanced hop bitterness for the style. No hop flavor or aroma.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation and an excellent balance between dry and sweet. Just about right for the style. My favorite of 4 reviewed this evening.

Serving type: 12oz bottle purchased non-refrigerated on 12/7/2009

3.12/5  rDev -20.2%

Nice aroma, but I’m not crazy about the taste. My biggest gripe is the impression it gives during my first few sips. It’s difficult to explain what I don’t like about the initial taste other than it’s a copper flavor that seems awkward with the sweet and spicy background. I’m not thrilled with it, and probably would not buy again. medium sweetness, lightly bitter, lightly sour.

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

this is a winner.
A successful brewery thats growing and not cutting corners. I reccomend this one highly to anyone while it lasts. This brewer is a rising star. There is a lot of good product coming out of this Connecticut company.
If its available to you,, get some.
(comes in six packs only I believe)

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last