Thomas Hooker Imperial Porter | Thomas Hooker Brewing Company

Thomas Hooker Brewing Company
Connecticut, United States
hookerbeer.com

Style: Baltic Porter

Full bodied and rich color, our imperial porter has hints of roasted coffee, cocoa with a generous hop finish. Dark roasted malts blended with the crispness of English hops, this beer is smooth yet complex.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2003

4.34/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

500ml Flip-top
2006 Vintage

Recieved in trade from RustyDiamond a while back, thanks Rusty. Thomas Hooker's Imperial Porter pours a beautiful garnet with glowing mahogany highlights that peek through in waves throughout the glass. One finger creamy beige head formed on the pour and slowly faded to a skim coat with a thick collar. Leaves some moderate lacing. Good looking porter.

Great smell! Rich aroma of doughy dark bread and lightly roasted grains. The middle breaks away from the doughiness just enough to let dark fruit shine through. Plum and figs (leaning more toward the figs) are sprinkled with brown sugar and provide a great complexity. On the backend the roastiness falls to the back along with the fruits and that dark bread doughiness dominates. My mouth is watering.

I think the flavor is actually shows more complexity than the aroma. The flavor is similar to the smell but the dark breadiness is more pronounced upfront. Mid-palate brings the dark fruitiness along with mild coffee. The hint of coffee tastes excellent in this beer. The finish brings a faint but quick cream quality. On the swallow (I'm surprised by this one) comes a solid leafy hoppiness that, along with the roasty malts, leave a noticeable bitterness. Layers of flavor. This is a great porter.

The mouthfeel is luxurious and creamy with a velvety feel as it glides effortlessly across my mouth. Low carbonation lets all the flavors work at their own pace and they all work great.

On a cool evening, like tonight, I could drink this beer all night long. An unbelievably easy porter to put away.

My first sample from Thomas Hooker and one of the best, if not the best, porter I've come across yet. An absolute joy to drink. Wish this was available in my area it would be a staple in my fridge in the Winter months.

Reviewed: 10/27/07

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Huge thanks to beersndrums for this one!

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic pint at cellar temperature.

L – Deep brown, nearly black color with a huge 4-finger bubbly, tan head. Really nice retention as the head fades down into a half-finger of froth that sticks around for most of the experience. There are some wisps of lacing.

S – Mostly sweeter aromas including raisins, black cherries, and cocoa are apparent, but a nice amount of roasted malt is there, too.

T – It starts off sweet with cocoa, raisins, black currants and cherries, and a touch of vanilla and eventually progresses to a dry, bittersweet roasted taste with coffee and dark chocolate notes. This is really tasty.

F – Medium-to-full-bodied with average carbonation, a sticky, mouth-coating, and velvety-smooth feel, and a bittersweet and dry finish. Sweeter flavors like chocolate and dark fruits linger the longest. There is a very subtle and smooth throat-warming sensation from the alcohol.

O – This is a really nice porter. It is not very complex but it is very true-to-style and very tasty. I love the thicker mouthfeel that almost borders on stout territory, and it is insanely drinkable for 8% ABV. If I hadn’t known, I would’ve guessed it was around 5-6%. I’m really glad that I got to try this one. I’m glad I have another offering from Thomas Hooker (Liberator) in my fridge. I’ll have to check out more from them when I’m back up in New England. Thanks, Jared!

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I poured this bottle into my tulip glass. There was very minimal head on the initial pour. This is a pretty dark beer. You can get some light through this one, but not much. The coloring is borderline stout... I know the dividing line is more than that. Guiness still has to figure that out.

I like the smell coming off of this one. There is a clean coffee smell with quite a bit of roastiness. It really works well when you breathe it in. The flavor is almost all coffee. It plays well across your pallatte. I think this made for a very good sipper.

I recommend picking this one up. I think it is a very good example for a porter.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Snagged a bottle of this for 1.75 at the House of 1,000 beers.

A - Pours fairly black a touch thin with a 1/4 inch of mocha head that pulls back to a sticky lace ring. Seeing some floaties in the glass I assume it's a tad old.

S - Mild roast, touch of coffee, and really sweet milk chocolate. No detectable hops or chalky yeasts.

T - Really nice dark chocolate hit in the front, leading to some respectable roast/coffee, then fades out to a rather sweet finish of cocoa nibs. Tasty stuff.

M - Medium bodied, slightly chewy, easy to drink.

Overall a nice step up from the lager dopplebock. I would buy this again!

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%