Thomas Hooker Watermelon Ale | Thomas Hooker Brewing Company

Connecticut, United States
hookerbeer.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Summer

The light and crisp Ale has a hint of watermelon essence resulting in a very refreshing thirst quenching brew.

Our Watermelon Ale is sure to please a variety of palates lending itself to being the perfect summer treat.

Added by Hojaminbag on 09-08-2008

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%

1.5/5  rDev -52.7%

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%

2.75/5  rDev -13.2%

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

1.5/5  rDev -52.7%

3.69/5  rDev +16.4%

Draft into a standard pint at Watkins Drinkery a month or so ago.

Looks like an adjunct lager with a bigger head. 3/5

Scent is of a watermelon Jolly Rancher. Oddly, I like it. 4/5

This is really refreshing. Watermelon is not overpowering, but it tastes especially "light" for an ale. 3.5/5

Thin but not too thin! Pretty refreshing overall, and I imagine it as either a perfect lawnmower beer or change of pace. 4/5

Personally, I found this better than my previous experiences with 21st Amendment's Hell or High Watermelon. 3.75/5

(Grammatically enhanced quick notes from Watkins Drinkery a while back)

2.75/5  rDev -13.2%

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

3.59/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a craft glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden with a three-quarter-inch white head that swiftly recedes to film. Carbonation is heavy. No lacing at all. Looks like a lager or golden ale, with some wheat haziness.

Aroma: Hello, watermelon. This really, really smells like watermelon. Also some bubble gum and wheat and a little hop bitterness. I'm expecting a big watermelon punch from this. Alcohol is faint if it's even present. Also some citrus notes.

Taste: To my surprise, the watermelon taste is more of an accent. It definitely dominates the flavor profile, but it doesn't come across as severe as the aroma indicates. It's basically a decent wheaty golden ale with some watermelon kick. Kind of tastes like drinking a cream ale or golden ale while chewing watermelon gum. Not surprised to see wheat in the grain bill; it definitely has a wheaty backbone, which is good, because it prevents the watermelon flavor from being cloying. It's a sweet-tasting beer, but not to the point where it makes me recoil.

Mouthfeel: Light body, which adds to the light and refreshing profile. It has the level of depth that it should.

Overall: Maybe it's the fact that it's March 1 after a brutalizing February. Maybe it's because I've got Spring Training baseball on TV and I'm feeling ready for tones of summer. Maybe it's because I'm eating a delicious bowl of chili and this beer complimented it perfectly. But, I have to admit, I enjoyed this. I kind of wanted to not like it because fruit beer is pretty corny, but the refreshing nature of this beer beat back my cynicism. It's a nice warm-weather treat. Judge me.

Thomas Hooker Watermelon Ale from Thomas Hooker Brewing Company