Thomas Hooker Chocolate Truffle Stout | Thomas Hooker Brewing Company

Thomas Hooker Brewing Company
Connecticut, United States
hookerbeer.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Our sweet stout is made in collaboration with Connecticut's favorite chocolatier, Munson's Chocolate. Copious amounts of oat malt produce a silky, full bodied beer laced with hints of roast and chocolate derived from dark malts. Each sip ends with a mild chocolate bitterness from Munson's proprietary cocoa powder, added generously to the brew. To round out this beer, we add several pounds of cocoa nibs at the end of fermentation to provide a fresh chocolate aroma.

Added by jimmy82063 on 02-05-2012

3.8

Excellent beer, great taste and aroma, good head, no aftertaste.
Excellent with pork, chicken, and especially bacon, as a snack.
great to braise with, and use it with my pork ribs, and pork loin, with my homemade BBQ
sauce, which has a chocolate, chilli, bacon fat and tomatoe base.

So far, my # 1 chocolate beer!

4.75/5  rDev +25%

What can I say about a beer of this name.
A:Appearance is a dark chocolate body with a 2 finger creamy fluffed head that stays throughout.

S: The smell is of chocolate milk with a hint of caramel and toffee malts. Really something to look forward to.

T: The taste is out of this world. Roasted, dark chocolate malts are present throughout with a hint of coffee at the end.

O: Overall A perfect chocolate stout, even if it is out of season. Compared to other chocolate beers I have had, this one is on the tops. A great anytime dessert beer!

4.75/5  rDev +25%

4.74/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.65/5  rDev +22.4%

Poured into a 20oz Northern Brewer Lager Schwilling Glass.

Black. Blacker than a trillion midnights. Tan head lasted longer than expected, some lacing even.

Smells like semi-sweet cocoa. This should be good!

Tastes like chocolate. I've had many beers with chocolate in the name and description but this is one of the best.

Mouthfeel was decent. I was expecting a bit more body, but they can't all be gems.

Great brew! Not sure if I'd want more than one or two in a sitting but definitely something you should try if you like chocolate to any degree.

4.56/5  rDev +20%

Who wouldn't want to try something named Chocolate Truffle Stout. That's like having 3 holidays all on the same day!

The color was a really dark brown and almost black with more of a coffee smell than a chocolate smell but it was a bit on the cold side. Either way the smell was pleasant.

It wasn't overly full in my mouth but also wasn't thin which was ok as I like a drinkable stout and not something that kicks me in the face. Smooth may be the right word. I could taste the chocolate both during the drink and during the aftertaste but the coffee seemed to still be there as well. A little mocha love mixed in there for good measure. A bit on the sweet side which I enjoy in a chocolate stout with just enough bitterness to balance it out.

In a new world full of chocolate beers this one stood out for me and I will certainly be back for more!

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Super good, great chocolate flavor

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

02/20/13 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Top notch. The bittersweet elements of the chocolate used are fantastic with the sweetness of the stout. Big fan.

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

Very fresh bottle dated only days before tasting. (Late February). Poured into a shaped pint glass.

A: Dark dark brown with a dark tan head that hangs around. Nice sticky lace after a few sips.

S: As expected, wonderful aroma of chocolate and roasted, not burnt, malt. Well balanced, no artificial chocolate smell or anything oppressive.

T: Ahhh! The aroma didn't let me down! A very well constructed stout base with a pleasant hint of chocolate aftertaste. There is a great roasted character and noticeable presence of chocolate malt along with the actual chocolate.

M: Silky, well carbonated for the style, not too sticky or too thin either.

O: Overall a great stout... with chocolate. Hooker built a great flavored beer without skimping on the base style. Very drinkable. I was surprised how easy drinking it was. Now that I've tried it alone, I want to try it again pairing it with various foods. Well done!

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

Another new brew from Dino! Poured from bottle to pint glass the beer arrives a rich deep brown with a nice 1.5 finger khaki colored head, nice retention and lacing. The nose is rich and powerful: milk chocolate,cocoa, dark chocolate, roasted malt, nice. More approachable than expected. The flavor is more of the same. Likely the richest beer I've ever had! The roast and chocolate blend terrifically with a gentle sweetness and mild bitterness. Creamy and smooth the beer finishes with a lingering milk chocolate flavor. Wee carbonated, very nice. Overall, this is a serious treat! Very enjoyable!

4.45/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer was right up my alley.

A: pretty much black with a creamy tan head, some nice lacing

S: mmm... chocolaty aroma smells so good

T: wow this beer is delicious. Nice and malty as a stout should be with big chocolate flavor. Nice balance of bitter and sweet.

M: Really creamy and nice, but not quite as thick as I was expecting.

O: This beer was great! I am really into my coffee/chocolate stouts, so this was perfect for me. A nice change from my regular Sierra Nevada stout I usually get. I had only had Hooker's Watermelon Ale (yuckkk), but when I saw that they collaborated with the delicious Munson's chocolatiers, I grabbed a six pack of this, and was found that Hooker can make a great beer. I ended buying 2 more 6 packs (one for the girlfriend for valentine's day) since they were flying off the shelves If you like stout (especially chocolate stouts) then this beer is for you. I hope to see this again next winter.

4.42/5  rDev +16.3%