Hitachino Nest White Ale | Kiuchi Brewery

Style: Witbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2001

Reviews: 543 | Ratings: 1,501
3.6/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a slightly hazy apple juice color with a dirty blond hue, minimal off white head, and lots of carb action.

Has a sweet caramel malt smell with a herbal/citrus hops aroma.

Lightly sweet, lightly/moderately bitter, moderately acidic, grainy, and hay malt taste with a resin/orange/grapefruit hops flavor.

Medium bodied, slightly syrupy almost watery texture, soft carbonation, and a smooth sour finish.

To me the balance is off with too much acidic flavor, the taste is flat, and a plus may be the smooth slightly sour finish for session status.

3.59/5  rDev -11.4%

Found at Whole Foods in Sarasota, in the ethnic, takeout section instead of their fine beer section.

Pours a straw/orange color with a decent white head that drops pretty quickly.
Smell is malt, spice,citrus and hops. A good balance.
Taste is the same mix as presented to the olfactory lobe with the hops standing out above the others. In the aftertaste, though, the hops fade out and the spice lingers nicely.
A medium/light body with effervescence on the tip of the tongue. Overall a decent brew but nowhere near as good as the other offerings from Kiuchi.

3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

Upon glowing recommendation from co-workers/beer geeks, Fresh Direct delivered and I poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A: Minor cloudyness and an off yellow with tepid head but good lacing.

S: Tangy lemon, and average yeasty wheat and copious amounts of coriander.

T: Perhaps I got a bad bottle, but quit acidic with not to much vanilla/banana or anything to counter balance the tangyness.

M: Quite crips and clean and light.

D: I was not impressed but will look for this on tap to give it another go.

3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

A- Pours an off-yellow orangish color, slightly hazy and a few floaters in there. A fairly bright white head, turns into a layer of bubbles and some spotty lacing.

S- Definitely wheat mixed with citrus and lemons and and some spices. Pretty much what I expected here.

T- Almost like a hefeweizen, but with hints of citrus. Something seemed off or different hear to me. Maybe a little sour here or funky but not like a wild ale.

M- Light in body and carbonation both seemed right on.

D- I could drink this one again, but it wouldn't be something I'd search out. I think the sour/funky citrus thing is about the only thing from really liking this one.

3.57/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Cloudy golden color. No head whatsoever.

S- Reserved notes showing some orange and pear, some baking spice.

T- Subtle, but pleasant citrus fruit and herbal flavors. Clean, long finish.

M- Light to medium bodied and exceptionally easy to drink. Good carbonation balanced with a soft, almost creamy texture. It leaves the palate fresh and clean.

O- I'd love it if this were a bit less expensive as I would drink it all summer long. I'm impressed with the mouthfeel and texture here above everything else, but this is an excellent example of Witbier.

3.57/5  rDev -11.9%

Alright, first note: just paid $3.50 for a typical 12-ounce bottle of an imported witbier from Japan... although this isn't the first Hitachino offering that I've sampled, I had originally paid about $7 bucks for a larger size... glad I was able to find a smaller and cheaper sample, because I wasn't blown away by this particular brew, and for the steep price I paid, definitely don't think this one was worth it, although it is a unique stab at the style... Definitely smells better than it tastes in my opinion... the aroma is full of citrus, lemon, vanilla, wheat and coriander which is very noticeable... the taste is very pepperish - almost reminds me of a lemon-flavored seltzer... much more so than the Nest Weizen which was my first sample from this brewery... In my opinon, there is too much of a pepper flavor and not enough vanilla and citrus that I look forward to when sampling a witbier... Would opt for a less expensive Belgian or German sample anyday, even though the mouthfeel was good and the drinkability on this brew is great... goes down smooth, very crisp and clean... Glad I sampled this one, although probably wouldn't purchase this again unless I could find it for much cheaper... go for the Nest Weizen...

3.56/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A cloudy yellow, with a snow-white head that positively glitters in the light. The bubbles are tight and tiny at first, then relax to form round, uniform beads. A truly beautiful beer.

Smell: Remarkably floral notes mix well with a summery pineapple and apricot punch. A bready foundation comes through as the beer warms.

Taste: While bitterness is absent, there is a strong floral hop taste that makes me feel as if I'm drinking honeysuckle perfume. The pineapple that I was looking forward to after smelling the beer is, unfortunately, nowhere to be found, and the apricot fades into a quick spritz of lemon. Fortunately, a light clove-like flavor brings a bit of welcome complexity. Although the taste is altogether enjoyable in spite of the aforementioned disappointments, it's also strangely faint, as if a small group of ghostly esters is just floating across the top of the glass.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel and medium-high carbonation, with a pleasant effervescent quality.

Overall: Not how I remembered this beer. I remember thinking it was absolutely lovely...but that was years ago. The floral character is fascinating, but the lemon soda water flavor that goes along with it is not. I could smell and gaze at this beer all day, but I would rather taste another.

3.55/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottled date: 14/05/2007, served lightly chilled on 02/11/2007 in a large bulb wine glass.

A: pours a murky, dark-yellowish golden hue; a thin layer of white foam retreats fast to a rim, on top of rather flat carbonation.
S: assertively lemony-acidic and gingery-spicy upfront, backed by plenty of sweet, almost syrupy maltiness and sharp flowery scents. The spiciness from ginger syrup comes rather sharp actually, but gets mixed quite well with the equally pronounced lemony fruitiness. Alas, these two elements suppress the performance of other basic ingredients.
T: the thin taste remains yeasty from the first second onwards, while the following flow of unripe-grapefruity and limey peels as well as green apple-ish acidic taste gradually yields to a very mild wheat-ish mid-taste with a spicy kick, then turning intensifyingly tangy&dry with a light touch of orange-flavouring and mineral in the end. The overall flavour gives a strong suggestion of Belgian witbier.
M&D: softly sparkling, quite refreshing in texture and feather light in body due to the high percentage of wheats in the mixture. A pretty decent product with a highly yeasty flavour overall, making it quite different from a normal witbier from Belgium.

3.53/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this beer at a local sushi restaurant. From a bottle, the beer is a hazy gold-yellow color. Sweetish with a lot of orange-peel notes. Medium-light in body with a soft mouthfeel. It went very well with a selection of nigiri.

3.52/5  rDev -13.1%

Purchased from Whole Foods, Chicago. After reading in "All About Beer" about their cedar-aged IPA, I had to try this, even though it’s not the same beer. It has a very pale and cloudy color. Kind of lemony like a hefeweisen, but then I picked up a big nutmeg taste (before I knew there was nutmeg in it). Coriander makes an appearance, too. And I do get a cedary taste with this beer after all. It’s good to see some craft beers coming over from Japan and discovering brews beyond Sapporo and Kirin.

3.52/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pours clear gold with very little white foam. Patches on top. Subtle wheat-ness in the nose. Some straw too. Light lemon open which evolves into a thin light wheat taste. Crisp close. Virtually no bitter. Some orange peel too. Very light & flavorful. Tasty, easy drinker but not astonishing.

3.52/5  rDev -13.1%

11.2oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

pours a slightly cloudy, dull yellow tone; yields a foamy finger of a white head that dissipates quickly. not much lacing to speak of.

nose is lead by citrus (notably lemon zest) with coriander and some yeast evident. flavor follows the aroma with an added bit of wheat grain and some floral/herbal/earthiness... has a subtle sourness to it... finish is largely clean. not bad, even somewhat enjoyable in its own right, but for me nothing really to write home about, will give this one another try over the summer, which it's more tailored for.

light to medium bodied mouthfeel. serviceable, i'd be open to another but it's nothing i would seek out again.

originally reviewed: 12-21-2010

3.52/5  rDev -13.1%

I'm a sucker for labels and this one caught my eye. A red owl with the words White above it and Ale Below, nothing to exciting but enough to get my 3 bucks.

Spritzy head with loads of carbonation feeding it throughout. slightly unfiltered look.

Floral smell/yeast definitely involved. The first taste at the very very beginning is sour but its only a split second until the citrus/carbonation sizzles away at the palate a bit course on the way down...this beer is very unique and doesn't draw all that many similarities to other witbiers i've had. this one stands alone and is a nice example to follow. Kiuchi brewery has gotten my attention with this offering.

3.52/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance: Cloudy. Yellow. Little head with sediment on the bottom.

Smell: Sweet citrus. No hops.

Taste: Heffy. Little lighter than the Heff's I'm used to. Definitely some citrus/lemon notes. It's good as is. Anymore would be too much. Slightly sour in the corners of my mouth after.

Drinkability: Medium-heavy carbonation. Good consistency. Fairly sharp. Drinkable.

This wasn't bad. Not as great as the Red Rice Ale (in my opinion), but worth having. Another Japanese Heff type beer. It was a little too citrusy for my palette. Wasn't bad, but anymore would have made it a Framboise. Enjoy it where you would a Heff, if you want to try something different. But personally - if I want a Heff - this won't do.

3.52/5  rDev -13.1%

A: Very prototypical looking white ale going on here. Angel food cake colored body, lighly cloudy and dull. The head is strong, pure white and holding on strong.

S: Great smelling beer. Extremely herbal, coriander, yeasty and fresh like a spring breeze. If the beer tastes half this good I'm in luck.

T: Lots of coriander is the first impression. Very spiced, more so than I would have expected. This flavor dominates until finally relenquishing control to some of the citrusy sour notes lurking behind the spices. As the lemon moments fade, a pronounced wheat personality with lots of yeast take the limelight. And the coriander keeps going.

M: Full bodied and smooth.

D: Too many spices added, detracts from the flavor of the beer. And I can't get the flavor off my palate. Not bad but not great.

3.51/5  rDev -13.3%

this beer pours a light straw color. Fizzy pure white head blankets the surface. Bubbles bloom throughout the session. I smell fine pilsner malts in the beginning but the aroma takes on what appears to be a strange BO type smell to me. I have heard others descibe a barnyard scent in beers maybe this is it. There is a certain floral grassy like smell that I have never encountered. It may be strange but it is bold and assertive which I like. The taste is not like your typical wit. It is very spicey kind of like a light tripel. There is some pepper, a strong taste of turmeric powder, cinnamon. And nutmeg flavors throughout and just enough hops to make it slightly bitter. There seems to be a lot of carbonation to this beer from the looks but it does not overtake your mouth. I would say it is a typical Mouthfeel for the style. I will not buy this again but it is very interesting. Not your typical wit.

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

Best before date of Sept 2011.

owl on the bottle cap

pours a hazy yellow with thin head.

very aromatic. spices, fruit, marmalade comes out right away. a bit soapy smelling, floral. nutmeg and ginger lots of ginger aroma.

sharp acidity. ginger comes through in the taste. slightly watery mouthfeel despite the sharpness.

leaves a clean freshness on the palate, inviting you back for more.

the beer is balanced to the point that i dont recognize much malt or hops in the flavor.

the sharp carbonation and acidity reminds of drinking an orangina pop with booze.

solid and interesting but probably better on a hot day not a rainy damp one.

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured a hazy light straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a lemon zest and coriander.

The taste was upfront bitter lemon with some softer yeast esters and spice.

The mouthfeel was toward the thinner side of the style.

Overall a decent wit. Say too sour for my taste.

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

The Owl is staring right at me.

Best before date 2011.09

Pours a cloudy straw colored body with light and bubbly white head that dissipates fairly quickly. Spots of lacing like white owls flying above a frothy gold and white sea below..

As soon as I poured it there were hints of sulfur..but they faded..perhaps the batch was brewed in haste.

Aroma and flavours of wheat, yeast, spices, coriander, sweet orange..

Nice carbonation typical of the style. Dry and overall a very nice Japanese White Ale. To be honest, I drank two in a row but I really don't see why it get's all this praise. Not sure if I'm just not getting it or if this was a bad batch..it probably could have been fresher. The LCBO seemed to have held onto it for quite some time..I'll have to give it another try some other time.

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

From Carrefour. In Teku glass. Reviewing CSHTP6 Ch4. A standard lightly spiced witbier, with nothing specially good nor specially bad apart from a noticeable lack of carbonation. BB date next month

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a nice yellow with two finger head, which soon disperses.

Hoppy aroma with some woody notes. Taste is consistent with the smell, but with a bit of apple or dark citrus at first, a jolt of coriander, and something sort of flowery at the end as the taste evaporates.

Feel is thick enough for a white ale, but still rather thin. Wouldn't bathe my kid in it. Good beer, but nothing special, and definitely not worth the $6 sticker.

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

Hazy pale golden-yellow color, spicy, peppery and earthy citrus aromas, huge white foamy head that sticks to the sides of my glass. Spicy pepper, coriander and citrus flavors, crisp and spicy carbonated mouthfeel, finishes clean and dry, has a funny aftertaste, very refreshing and tasty.

3.48/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured from bottle to snifter.

Appearance - Straw hazy yellow with lots of sediment and poured with a 1 finger foamy head that dissapears quickly. Leaves a small amount of lacing.

Smell - Peppery, grassy and smells of coriander and other spices. Very spicy smell. A small amount of wheat malt detectable but not much else, very spicy grassy smell overall.

Taste - Peppery with coriander and ginger finish. The beer has a bit of sweet wheatness to it but not much else. Very exotic tasting and unlike anything I have ever had. A bit of a funky end on the finish, no bitterness to speak of.

Mouthfeel - Very light and effervescent, not too heavy at all, good on the tongue for the style.

Drinkability - One of these is plenty for me, I am sure if I was more used to it I could handle much more, its probably not the beer here, its me.

3.48/5  rDev -14.1%

Straw-colored with a lovely towering head, smells like wheat, orange peel and a sugary clove. The taste is the same, floral hops, wheat malt, a bit of coriander, orange--a nice wit? But it's muddled in the finish. My boyfriend and I both agreed there was something odd in the last bit of the taste but weren't sure what it was--now he's suggesting mushroom? I'm willing to go on record with that.

I also found the mouthfeel a little heavy, even kind of soapy, without a crispness I wanted, and ultimately don't know if I would buy the beer again--there are much better wits out there.

3.47/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I tried the Hitachino at Montanos in Roanoke. It poured a hazy yellow with white head that is not leaving any lace. ....and lots of settlement. The scent had floral hop hints. The taste was floral potpourri like. The Mouthfeel is lighter in body with fizzy carbonation. Overall it's ok.

Hitachino Nest White Ale from Kiuchi Brewery