Hitachino Nest White Ale | Kiuchi Brewery

kodawari.cc

Style: Witbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2001

Ratings: 1,568 |  Reviews: 560

Pours hazy golden with a white head that dissipates quickly. There's lots of carbonation present. There's an slight, pleasing aroma of citrus, black pepper and bread. The taste? Wow. It's a pleasing slightly sweet citrus flavor with a creamy texture on the first sip. The black pepper hits you as well as the grain on the way down. All the flavors shine through and are perfectly balanced. The mouthfeel is light to medium and the carbonation aids greatly in the drinkability of this beer. I could see myself buying this again. This is a fantastic beer that I would recommend to anyone who likes a good witbier.

4.97/5  rDev +22.1%

Served at 53 degrees Fahrenheit, which I feel is much too warm for this beer/style, I placed my beer in my homemade blast chiller to cool it 10 degrees (so what if its made from aluminum foil and attached to the air duct in my freezer!).

A: Pours a light straw color into my Weizen glass with little suspended yeast and powerful orange highlights. I had to agitate the bottle to get some yeast suspended, which worked quite well. The giant 1 pint 8.3oz bottle poured a two-three finger head that is slowly dissipating, very sightly creamy, and sticks around for 3/4 of my pint. Has the potential to lace well, but I take small sips and splash the beer around too much to produce lacing while writing reviews. Carbonation looks crazy. Actually a good appearance for the style, but lacks the creamy Allagash White head.
Edit: The second pour revealed a lot of lacing as well as a creaminess to the head; raised score .5.

S: Wow, I am not sure where to start here. This is the second Hitachino beer I have had, and I can only describe their beers are intensely aromatic. The aroma has strong hints of fresh ginger, nutmeg, oak, earth, dried pineapple, orange, and as with my last Hitachino beer, many other aromas that I can not describe. Coriander is in there somewhere. Ginger, citrus fruity and earthy are the dominate aromas. I can detect a hint of grapefruit with the citrus. New aromas keep forming, what an amazing experience.

T: Very interesting. Sour, not Jolly Pumpkin sour, but the most sour I've ever had in a Wit. The malt seems overwhelmed until the finish, where a crisp un-malted wheat backbone tickles your tongue. Ginger, nutmeg, orange, and lemon are upfront. A hint of coriander tantalizes your taste buds on the rather dry finish. There is some sweetness that is balanced by the sour and dry finish. Bitterness is very low, hops seem lost, which is ok for this style as the coriander takes their place. The earthy aroma builds while tasting, eventually turning itself into another flavor dimension.

As I pay less attention while drinking my pint, the fruity flavors seem to come together to form a grapefruit like hoppy flavor (a Witbier with Hops!), and then a rangpur-lime like flavor forms. Overtime while drinking, new flavors are discovered and old ones fade away, what a complex Witbier; scratch that, what a complex beer in general. Near the end of my pint, the fruityness of the hops finally reveal themselves full force and transform.

-After-taste thought: The aftertaste of this beer is reminiscent of honey, orange, and grapes; what a fabulous combination. The best aftertaste I've witnessed in a beer to date (1-18-10). Sometimes the aftertaste reveals a lot of malted wheat. This is the most dynamic beer I've ever had. This beer takes the Witbier style and rewrites the rule book as far as taste goes.

M: Carbonation isn't as nearly as overpowering as I expected it to be, I am actually looking for a bit more carbonation than I am getting here. Sort of chewy and creamy when you roll the beer around in your mouth, unlike other beers, this one isn't doing it via carbonation. This is the thickest wit I have had to date.

D: Attempting to savor this beer whilst following the complex flavor changes over time is no easy challenge, I find myself drinking it rather quickly due to the pure joy and beer nirvana this beer provides. Another? $9? Here is my credit card, yes please.

O: Price and adherence to the style be damned, this is as good as Witbiers get, sorry Belgium and Allagash. This is the most interesting *beer* I've had yet, and from Japan, color me shocked. If you love regular Wits, watch out, this one may be an acquired taste. This beer is downright funky, and takes me the closest to beer nirvana I have ever been.

4.94/5  rDev +21.4%

Hitachino Nest White Ale was served from an 11 oz. bottle. In a Duvel tulip, the beer was a soft and glowing hazy yellow-orange hue, and was topped by a small white head. The nose was just wonderful, with notes of coriander, orange juice, mango, and a lightly acidic grapefruit-like citrus. The taste was simply fantastic as well. It began with a orange-citrusy coriander-tinged firm and dry malt base that exuded a refreshing acidity. This acidity increased in strength through the finish, which left lingering robust flavors of bitter orange, ginger, black peppercorn, nutmeg, grapefruit, and coriander. I loved the interplay of acidity with the spicey accents. The body was excellently composed for the flavors, as was the vigorous carbonation. I really loved this refreshing and tasty white from Japan...beautifully done!

4.93/5  rDev +21.1%

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

A - pours into a hazy golden color with a limited foam head that dissolves gradually..

S - smells of citrus and orange peel

T - very citrus rich taste thats really crisp and refreshing

M - not really acidic nor does it hit you with an alcoholic punch....with a moderate body to it...

I LOVE this white ale....tastes waaaay better than Hoeegarden and Im standing by that accusation. It has so much flavor and the right amount of hops and cloves. Brilliant beer....I really recommend this beer to anyone trying white ales for the first time or fans of it...truly a delicious drink...

4.91/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.91/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.9/5  rDev +20.4%

this is a great beer. its has kind of a light medium body. looks like a regular white ale. straw color slightly cloudy. the taste is light but all the flavors come through so i really liked it. it has a grapefruit coriander taste. the finish is clean. a light herbal coriander kinda chamomile taste linger which i really like. this was a great beer. it really compliments a nice sushi dinner.

4.89/5  rDev +20.1%

21 oz. very cool and oddly shaped bottle. Great artwork and not your average faux-bomber. Also looks way better than the shorter, stubby bottle version too.

Screw the pint glass, this is going into a tulip, otherwise I know I'll drink it too fast.

Appearance: A hazy golden and pale yellow, mostly due to some yeast kicking around I imagine. About a 1" head that dissipates quickly, and doesn't leave as much lacing as I would've liked. Great bubbles floating to the top though in a weird, curved pattern.

Smell: Holy good God man, this ain't no Wit I've ever had before. This is easily the best and also most unconventional nose of a Wit I've ever had the pleasure of trying to figure out. A spiced and dense field of herbs and flowers. But the thing is, even though there are so many spices, it's somehow deliciously balanced and aromatic: clove, ginger, coriander, lemon and orange zest, yeastiness, slight maltiness, but there's not much sweetness to be had in the nose. It almost smells to good to be true initially, but it's not. Easily a perfect score for me.

Taste: What I love about the taste is it has the dryness of a great champagne, with only the slight amount of perfect dextrin sweetness. A long finish occurs that fills the palate with the herbs and spices and yeast. I feel like this is more of a disease-curing elixir than a beer at this point, though it's certainly a beer too. All I can say is wow, because this is incredible, and even though it's in a category of its own, it's certainly a Wit, and it's certainly beyond remarkable.

Mouthfeel: Once again, spritzy initially like champagne, then settles into a slightly creamy body at the swallow. Thin to maybe-medium body, but not slick or watery at all really, due to the excellent carbonation levels.

Drinkability: Yes, super high, try this, try this, try this. AT 5% it's crazy not to indulge, but I did, however, pay about $8 for the bottle. And then again, now I see why. I'd recommend this to anyone. I hope it elicits the same surprising response in you as it did for me.

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

decanted from a bottle into a wine glass.

A: a calm, powerful yellow, like sunshine reflecting off an aged oak floor in the a.m. the head, fluffy and titanium white, stuck to the rim and had a even distribution of bubble size which gave an almost uniform appearance. i am almost crashed my bentley.

S: wildly fragrant and perhaps the most fragrant white ale i've ever experienced. lots of florals and hits of solvent-like aromas. spicy in terms of herb flavors almost as if there was .01% clove and .1% cinnamon.

T: deep, well rounded body, yet simple enough to remind me of simple, sugarless lemonade. quite citrus-like in terms of a mild bite on the initial splash which yielded to a truly delicate spice profile. highly floral too. perhaps, lily-like. i think this beer is going to make me give up on wine.

D: if i had it my way, by usher raymond, it would keep running back to see me, like 'er day. this is the kind of beer i want to start drinking at 12 p.m. and stop only when my evacuated metabolites turns that beautiful, hazy and creamy yellow, incidentally, this would happen much sooner than you would expect because the 5% abv is well masked.

$4.89 for 11.2 oz is fucking expensive but if you've ever chiefed the good pots you'd know that you get what you pay for, at least in most cases.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Outstanding beer! I had mine on Koh Samui, purchased a bottle at a Tops Grocery. Golden color with a decent head that didn't last too long. The citrus and wheat flavors are a nearly perfect mix, and the carbonation level is just right - not too strong at all. Hint of malts and some other things that I can't quite place, but all good. I would highly recommend this one. Very well might be one of my highest ratings yet.

AC is broken.
I need something refreshing.
I reach for this beer.

A: Good head on first pour. White, fluffy, loose, and fading quickly. The body is dark yellow and cloudy, with bits floating around. No lacing to be found here though.

S: Heavy spiciness and definite citrus, mostly orange. I love it.

T: Quick yeast spiciness followed sour bite, with citrus aftertaste. Slight hoppyness and bitterness. Complex, interesting, and refreshing.

M: Pretty heavy on the carbonation, but good overall mouthfeel with mouthwatering finish.

D: Nice and refreshing, nothing overpowers or lingers for too long.

I was surprised and delighted that this beer was so good. I would get it again, if only it was cheaper. Still, on a special hot summer day, what a beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

I have always been a fan of Japanese beer and Belgian whites. Little did I know that I could have both in the same beer. I would highly recommend trying this beer if you have the chance and enjoy mild to medium flavored full bodied beers or are a fan of either style.

Hitachino Nest White Ale from Kiuchi Brewery