Hitachino Nest White Ale | Kiuchi Brewery

Style: Witbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2001

Ratings: 1,556 |  Reviews: 557

1.45/5  rDev -64.4%

Okay, I know I'm in the minority here, but I found this beer to be highly disgusting. This was literally one of the worse beers I have ever had. I really wanted to like this beer, but honestly it was just not that good. This is one of the few times I disagree with the Bros. I had this beer at the Westin Inn in Napa, CA at a nice restaurant, so I figured lets give this a try! The beer started off very promising with a white color, almost the color of toothpaste. It had a very light aroma, but when I sipped it thats when it all went downhill. The beer tasted like dirty dishwater, so bad I asked the waiter to bring me another. I did not pour this one in hopes that maybe the soapy taste was a dirty glass, it was not. I drank the next one straight from the bottle. It was terrible. I don't know what spice they use in this but the spices simply do not work. This is probably the worst beer I have ever had, which sucks because I paid $10 for it and I really wanted to like it. I normally don't slam a beer like this, but this is putrid.

1.88/5  rDev -53.8%

12 ounce bottle, purchased mid November at BevMo in Sacramento (Arden Way). I forget the price: maybe high $2 range? No bottle dating (see below why this is important.)

Big chunks of floating sediment in the bottom despite having sat for days at cellar temp. The bottle fill looks a little low: in a stubby bottle, it was just up into the neck.

Pours a fairly vigorous white foamy head, which dies out quickly into bright, deep yellow with almost zero head. Serious appearance problems here.

Aroma is sharp, pungent Brettanomyces: enough to make the back of my mouth pucker and salivate. Rut-roh.

Taste: yep: classic brett. Not hugely pronounced like La Folie or Orval, but obviously present, and overwhelms the rest of the flavor characteristics. Nothing of a witbier here.

Well, folks, I'm torn: I've feel like I got a spoiled bottle here, since I can't taste anything of a wit bier, and the brett sticks around forever. (Note that I *like* brett beers: I'm a big fan of Orval, La Folie, Duchesse De Bourgogne, etc.) I generally don't read other reviews before I review a beer, but this time, to try to give this beer a fair shake, I did, searching for references to 'brett' and 'sour' and 'flanders'. After doing this, I'm actually not sure I did get an (unintentionally) spoiled with Brettanomyces beer: a number of reviewers hinted at an excessively sour aroma and taste. To try to be as fair as possible, I gave it a 2.5 in taste and 2.0 in drinkability, since it's not classically awful beer (in that I like brett beers), it's just an awful wit/white.

So I don't know: on the one hand, I'm just barely tempted to buy this beer again in the future from another store (and so hopefully another batch) to re-review it. On the other hand, I'm really, really happy I only bought a single bottle. Pretty icky stuff for what it's supposed to be, and not nearly enough body to back up an intentional brett or Flanders style ale.

2.15/5  rDev -47.2%

This brew poured a quick dissolving head with no lacing on my mug. In my opinion it had a fruity and citrusy aroma to it. It was extremely carbonated/fizzy. It had very little aftertaste, if any. I did not feel there was anything special about this particular brew. It was not to my liking by any means.

2.16/5  rDev -46.9%

Sorry but the charms of this beer totally escape me, and it's the 2nd kind I've tried from the brewery and I'm just not getting it. Poured a large 3" white head. Smells like a sour beer. Taste is a little sour and there's really not much else to it. Bad sample, maybe? But Trader Joe's has a high turnover of this stuff so I doubt my sample sat around too long.

2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

2.28/5  rDev -44%

served in 25 oz. bottle at monk's in philly.
i love wits, but this one just didn't do it for me. the orange-iness was just way too overwhelming. there was a real chemical taste that reminded me of those super-heavy duty "orange cleaning solutions." no real yeasty tones in the flavor and the beer didn't even that have that great cloudy golden color despite it being bottle conditioned.
i don't recommend this beer at all. there isn't any balance to the flavor palate at all.

2.28/5  rDev -44%

Review from notes on 4/17/10

My 2nd Hitachino beer, the first one was the red rice one and it was weird... here's to hoping the 2nd one is better!

Poured a pale hay yellow with a scant and short lived white head. Mildly hazy, as it should be. Although the aroma smells decent, like lemonade mixed with orange juice, some coriander, and wheaty funk, the taste is an epic fail. I've never tasted a witbier like this and it's like a spritzy lemony sports drink. Nothing like a witbier that I'm looking for. Perhaps I'm looking for the wrong witbier but this did absolutely nothing for me.

2.48/5  rDev -39.1%

2.58/5  rDev -36.6%

Pours a hazy yellow with a small white head that quickly settles. Virtually no lace is left on the glass.

Has an aroma of what I would call bizarre. Combination of lemon juice, cloves, and skunk.

I must of had an old bottle because I detect a hint of skunk in the flavor as well. I also taste lemon and a mild spicyness from the yeast.

Light body with low carbonation. Very pedestrian overall.

My sample was a poor witbier. Obviously I received a bad bottle judging by other reviews. Maybe someday I will try this again.

2.58/5  rDev -36.6%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was very light /white colored for sure. The smell of this beer was kinda sour and fruity. Very effervescent looking at first but then the head decayed really fast and was gone. The taste was fruity and slightly sour also. I guess it is an okay beer for a wheat, but not my cup of beer, I will not buy again.

2.72/5  rDev -33.2%

Appearance: Dirty yellow...not tremendously attractive.

Smell: Pronounced orange peel with a somewhat spicy undertone.

Taste: Hits the tongue with a sweetly carbonated orange tanginess, followed by an almost peppery afternote that turns the orange-nes to a near grapefruit-like taste. Smooth taste with a rather dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Dry and smooth.

Drinkability: Not entirely distasteful, this goes down smooth and light...I could see myself drinking this again under the right circumstances (coupled with the right cuisine) but I won't be rushing out to buy a case anytime soon.

Serving type:720ml bottle

2.73/5  rDev -32.9%

12oz Bottle poured in a snifter.

Light golden color with a small head that hangs around for a bit. Very odd nose to it, there's some sort of a spicy note to it or something that seems a bit off.

Taste is like a light wheat beer, nothing too special, no hop taste. Overall I'd say it's one of the best Japanese beers I've had, but that's not saying too much.

2.73/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

2.75/5  rDev -32.4%

2.75/5  rDev -32.4%

2.78/5  rDev -31.7%

A light-bodied ale with a hazy, pale yellow color. Light and fizzy, with minimal head and lacing. A lot of carbonation to it that quickly tickles the tongue and then fades away. Tastes are faint but can pick some subtle spicing and a citrus undertone.

Slightly more texture and flavor than an American Pilsner but comparable in overall experience.

Photo of
2.8/5  rDev -31.2%

Poured a hazy pale gold, with lots of floaties. Large white head stuck around for a while. Aroma was sweet and spicy, some hops of the citrus variety were present. Taste was quite spicy and citrus-lemon, almost to the point of sour. There was a mild sweet taste in the middle, and a medium hop bite at the finish. I did not particularly care for the taste. Mouthfeel was a little slick (soapy?), fairly light, with medium carbonation and drying. It was an OK beer, fairly refreshing, but definately not to my taste.

Hitachino Nest White Ale from Kiuchi Brewery