Hitachino Nest White Ale | Kiuchi Brewery

Style: Witbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2001

Reviews: 549 | Ratings: 1,520
3.71/5  rDev -8.4%

A very good wheat beer, quite light and zesty. First note on taste is citrus, with spices, but a little bit of a soapy tinge as well. Wheat is not overwhelming.

Would buy this again if it were the same price as Hoegaarden, but since it's double the price where I am, and not easy to find, I'll pass.

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

650 ml bottle poured into a brandy snifter.

A-slightly hazy yellow and gold with two fingers of white head. Looks pretty carbonated. Decent retention and lacing. Nothing overly interesting or strong, but whatever.

S-apples, ginger and a bit of pepper. The ginger really strikes me as it asserts itself without being cloying or overbearing.

T-ginger and pepper with light fruity sweetness.

M-light mouthfeel with effervescent carbonation. Sweetness melts on the tongue giving way to a crisp clean finish.

O-a fantastically refreshing beer. Provides just a glint of sweetness and a sassy bit of spice and pepper without overwhelming the palate. Refined, clean and delicious.

4.27/5  rDev +5.4%

This beer was suggested to me by the bartender at the Small Bar in Chicago, and I am sure glad it was. As soon as it was poured into my glass I could smell the orange and Yeast. The head was small and left quickly. Light body but not watery. The flavors were well balenced with a smooth finish. I found it a very refreshing beer.
Nice for the summer or with a light meal.

4.37/5  rDev +7.9%

Bought a bottle at the local wine cellar.
I heard it was good so even at $3.15 a bottle. I decided to try it.

Pours nice golden orange color with a crisp white head.
Small amount of sediment.

Very pungent but good smell right away.
Immediate spicy taste, then a bit of citrus flavor, with a peppery carbonated aftertaste. Some ginger taste.
Very good beer.
Near the end of the glass I think I stirred up some sediment, because something hit the tip of my tongue and I got an intense sensation of spices.
As I got to the bottom I noticed a good amount of sediment.

Overall, a really good beer. But the price is high where I live so I probably wont be drinking it often.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

On tap at 38 Degrees Alhambra, Calif.

Poured a cloudy yellow color into tulip glass. Smell of citrus is definite. Taste of grapefruit and orange on first sip. Mouthfeel is light with a Belgian beer flavor. Drinkability is very good. Good backend and a refreshing taste. A very good Witbier that I could drink a few more of. Definitely very good since I got the first pour from the fresh tap.

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

A: pours a light straw color with a nice fluffy bright white head. The yeast strands get caught at the bottom and continue to pump carbonation into this baby keeping the head at a steady half inch. Also, the label and logo are adorable.

S: Coriander and bitter orange peel.

T: Wow, the taste is much more creamy and well rounded than i anticipated from the smell. Lots of puckering lemon and orange citrus flavor followed by some spiciness, mostly ginger.

M: Tons of carbonation and sour citrus but also a little creamy and super refreshing. Perhaps just a touch too much carbonation IMO.

D: Could certainly knock back a few of these on a nice warm sunny day, especially along with some spicy food.

4.32/5  rDev +6.7%

11oz Bottle purchased at hop city; was pretty sour/cidery but still good and preserved spicy notes despite, i'm reviewing based on the other 10 of these I had before this sour one.

A:pours out a clear apple cider color with white head; limited carbonation to the eye.
S: Ginger and white pepper with a bit of citrus/lemon.
T: Strong and fruity and wheat with great complexity of spice including white pepper, ginger, coriander and lemongrass. Really very nice if you like wits - it's like a wit with a twist of lemon peel and spice.
M: Even though it didn't appear to have much carbonation, there was a big zing on the tongue which only served to give an additional kick to the spice. Also very light bodied, lighter than a typical wit.
D: Extremely drinkable...maybe a bit too drinkable for my wallet at $4+ per bottle!

I love this brewery - so far most everything I've had from them is artfully produced and well worth a try.

4.67/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured into an oversize wine glass and looked a bright golden yellow with a tiny head that quickly faded to nothing with zero lacing. This has got to be one of the most aromatic beers I've tried so far. As soon as I started pouring I was overcome in a good way, by flowery citrus scents of lemon and lime and a kind of vegetable rhubarb aroma. Later on the smell took on a kind of cologne like presence. Tasted similar to the smell with big lemon/lime flavors up front and a more bitter taste than others of the same style. I know there's something more than just lemon and lime in this one but I have a hard time putting words to it. If you like white's you've gotta give this one a try, simply outstanding!!

4.12/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours hazy, pale golden yellow with a finger of thick white head.

A - bright and fruity, orange cream soda, rose petals, shortbread - very nice

F - soft and sweet, lightly malty and wheaty, orange and a touch of lemon, a mild herbal bitterness comes through in the finish - overall mild and well balanced

M - creamy, and light to moderately carbonated. Very nice.

Overall a beautiful aroma and a good, but not outstanding flavor.

4.29/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bottled poured into snifter

a- hazy creme golden color

s- nice light citrus almost lemon note...wheat....

t- little sour...spiced taste....nice wheat finish...light and crisp

m- light moutheel...tingley(think from carbonation)

o- I enjoyed it....not my favorite style of beer but this is very good...recommend it

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

The Owl is staring right at me.

Best before date 2011.09

Pours a cloudy straw colored body with light and bubbly white head that dissipates fairly quickly. Spots of lacing like white owls flying above a frothy gold and white sea below..

As soon as I poured it there were hints of sulfur..but they faded..perhaps the batch was brewed in haste.

Aroma and flavours of wheat, yeast, spices, coriander, sweet orange..

Nice carbonation typical of the style. Dry and overall a very nice Japanese White Ale. To be honest, I drank two in a row but I really don't see why it get's all this praise. Not sure if I'm just not getting it or if this was a bad batch..it probably could have been fresher. The LCBO seemed to have held onto it for quite some time..I'll have to give it another try some other time.

4.12/5  rDev +1.7%

A Witbeer from Japan? Oh - I have to try that! Be forewarned that this is no typical Belgian Wit. It is a hazy golden color with a nice frothy white head that goes to nice lacing with nice carbonation. The aroma is of spice and slight fruit. The flavor is vell spiced dominated, some citrus at the end. A top notch wheat brew from Japan!

3.93/5  rDev -3%

Pale white with less than a finger of head. Smelled like aome fruit. maybe some oranges and apples. very interesting. Tasted not unlike liiight orange. not malty hoppy or any notes of those. maybe a bit resiny. Mouthfeel was lacking in my opinion. I like a thicker witbier and this feel short with quite a thin palate. Overall I liked it enough to give it an B+. The mouth feel was average but everything else has me have hope for those japanese breweries.

3.57/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Cloudy golden color. No head whatsoever.

S- Reserved notes showing some orange and pear, some baking spice.

T- Subtle, but pleasant citrus fruit and herbal flavors. Clean, long finish.

M- Light to medium bodied and exceptionally easy to drink. Good carbonation balanced with a soft, almost creamy texture. It leaves the palate fresh and clean.

O- I'd love it if this were a bit less expensive as I would drink it all summer long. I'm impressed with the mouthfeel and texture here above everything else, but this is an excellent example of Witbier.

3.85/5  rDev -4.9%

Left overs from our Weisses/Wits tasting.

A - Poured into an Abbey de Leffe chalice; pours a very light, almost brassy yellow color; head dissipated quickly, leaving only about a millimeter's worth of thin lacing on the top. Almost no head to speak of remaining, highly carbonated.

S - Smells of faint fruit, not much to it at all in this category. Come to think of it, it's a little off-putting, whatever smell it does have.

T - Here's where it gets interesting. I think what this beer does on the palate is extremely unique by witbier standards. The liquid strikes the tongue extremely tangy and bitter - you can't help ignore the citrusy tang that fills and dances on the tastebuds. It commands a green leafy presence before eventually mellowing out to a bready characteristic. The tang reminds me of biting into a ripe granny smith apple - almost has the same pucker as an under-ripe mango (green skin, yellow meat). I'd have to classify this as the most unique witbier I've tried yet - not in terms of substantive quality but rather, of individuality.

M - Puckery at first, mellows on the way down, dissolves into a solid bready aftertaste. Good for fans of sour jacks!

D - Extremely smooth, crisp, refreshing. Leaves a little thirst in the mouth and sitting at 750mLs, probably just one would do nicely among partners.

A very interesting take on the style!

3.92/5  rDev -3.2%

This is one of the most unique beers Ive ever had. Not even sure its a beer. Tastes like ginger ale on crack.

A: Almost exactly like Blue Moon but a bit thinner. Yellow/golden because its definitely more yellow than golden. Great head. Almost more head than beer. The head reminds me of the "fizz" from a Sprite.

S: CHINESE FOOD. Ginger hints with some green tea. Maybe target hops?

T: Wow...might as well be Ginger Ale. Coriander spices, ginger and tea are dominant. The wheat is completely unnoticeable as well the hops.

M: Highly carbonated. Almost too much for my liking. A bit overpowering.

D: Probably could go through an entire 6.

Overall: Honestly, this is closer to some sort of malt beverage made by Mikes Hard Lemonade than a beer. Creative is really the only word to describe this "beer". Impressive

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really enjoyed this straight from the bottle. Interesting citrus notes with some vanilla. Easily and quickly drank. Nice but can get cheaper beers for the same quality.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

Purchased by the case at Shangy's. There were two sizes offered, but both had the same short and fat styled bottles. I really wanted to try this as there aren't many "craft" breweries in Japan. A Japanese Witbier? We'll see. . .

There wasn't much of a head upon pouring, but the color is real nice. It is a hazy gold with a hint of pink. Like the outside of a ripe grapefruit.

Smells of Citrus and Coriander. Not much else, but nicely balanced (note on style: coriander isn't really my thing, but I can appreciate it in the style)

Taste: The normal witbier tastes, but what stands out is the citrus in the back of the throat. It's almost lemony. Very clean finish and not much of an aftertaste.

Overall, this is one of my favorites in the style. Of course I would have probably enjoyed it more in the spring or summer. This is one of the beers I could drink with breakfast and lunch in the summer. (the other is Allagash).

Will drink again, hopefully I will be able to find again it in the summer.

4.59/5  rDev +13.3%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into my Hoegaarden glass.

A: A really nice color. A unfiltered golden that poured pretty flat without much carbonation. Stills looks pretty darn good though. Suspended yeast towards the bottom of the glass.

S: Wonderful aromas of orange peel & spice. Much more aromatic then most Wit's I've come across.

T: A slightly tangy taste. The spices (coriander, clove) definately come through. The citrus flavor is also quite detectable.

M: A refreshing mouthfeel! The wheat flavor is really nice & dies off a bit toward the end to finish with a thinner feel.

3.37/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance- Pale yellow color with zero head.
Smell- Not much going on.. faint citrus and maybe some banana
Taste- Slight citrus, wheat, coriander
Feel- Good carbonation.
Overall this beer isn't anything special.. a step up from blue moon... would go well with some sushi.

4.09/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Cloudy bright straw colour, thin white head dissipates quickly, initially really carbonated but slowed.

S:Sweet, hoppy, slight citrus, hint of pepper.

T: Citrusy.

M: Light and refreshing.

O: Overall extremely enjoyable, I don't like citrusy beers but this one is done really well. Highly recommend it!

4.02/5  rDev -0.7%

I had this at my favorite NYC beer bar in both bottle and draft. To my taste buds, this was kind of like a spicier Hoegarden, with strong orange-blossom notes (which I was later told was due to the corriander and other spices they use in the brewing process). It smells fantastic. I actually prefer this to Hoegarden and will look for it next summer. It was light, refreshing and delicious. Definitely worth a try if you like Hoegarden but want something a bit more exotic.

3.62/5  rDev -10.6%

Color was hazy yellow and possibly just slightly over carbonated, but just slightly. The aroma was sweet and spicy with hints of fruit and maybe straw?. The taste was much of the same with a smooth medium body. This is one of the more interesting witbiers that I have come across so far.

3.39/5  rDev -16.3%

Appearance - Hazy pale yellow, 1.5 finger head, low carbonation. Head fades quickly.

Aroma - Big on the coriander and nutmeg. Light citrus character along with the tangy wheat malt and adjuncts.

Taste - Sour citrus notes, like a mix of sour lemonade and orange juice up front. Although they don't use any I'm getting some ginger notes as well. Definitely get a mix of nutmeg and coriander in the end with some tartness. Medium body. Almost a completely dry finish though.

Tangy and refreshing, great for a hot day.

4.05/5  rDev 0%

Very pleasant, very crisp and perfect refreshing balance of a white ale done Japanese--clean cut. Orange/citrus on the nose, pours a golden yellow w/ minimal head--separates it from the comparable UFO.

Hitachino Nest White Ale from Kiuchi Brewery