Hitachino Nest White Ale | Kiuchi Brewery

Style: Witbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2001

Ratings: 1,542 |  Reviews: 557

3.97/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Pours a hazy yellow color with an inch thick, creamy white head that dissipates after a minute. Has a very nice lacing.

Smell - Quite spicy. Light citrus with clove, coriander, and wheat.

Taste - It's pretty delicious. But it's a little too spicy for my liking.. mostly just because I have acid reflux. But it's great tasting. Citrus up front, followed clove, coriander, and white pepper. Wheat is more dominant in the finish, with a somewhat musty flavor and light bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with very high carbonation. Too much if you ask me

Overall - This beer is really good. I wish I could have enjoyed it better (if it wasn't for my acid reflux).

4.83/5  rDev +19.3%

I have always been a fan of Japanese beer and Belgian whites. Little did I know that I could have both in the same beer. I would highly recommend trying this beer if you have the chance and enjoy mild to medium flavored full bodied beers or are a fan of either style.

4.34/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: A bright yellow color to this brew. Semi-clear but with a cloudy presence. Carbonation bubbled happily throughout enjoying the brew. Not a very significant head, just a thin layer remained on the outside of the glass.

Smell: A spiced aroma hit you right at the front of the aroma. A pleasant combination of yeast and citrus fruits on the undertones. Not an overpowering aroma, just settles in nicely while enjoying this brew.

Taste: Wow I was really surprised by this one. The front of the beer is a very pleasant light spice which transitions into an awesome orange peel wheat flavor. The brightness of the citrus mixed perfectly with the dry wheat presence. The layers of citrus keep flowing on the palette long after the brew is gone.

Mouthfeel: A perfect balance of hop dryness and overall sweetness makes this a very easy drinker. Keeps you reaching for the glass over and over.

Overall: Really happy about this brew. Good beer can be found all over the world!

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

This is my second taste of Kiuchi and the second winner. The ginger beer was a best of (a very limited) breed. This is also excellent. I still haven't tried the stout they were raving about, but it's in the fridge.

This one pours to look gorgeous. The thin head keeps giving, but not pumping. The aroma is a bit unique. A nice blend of things, but nothing jumps out and slaps you (it's not an American style so this is good).

The taste is a beautiful balance of malt, yeast and faintly, some hops. There is a slight fruitiness - sweetness from the combo. It is a very clean and pure tasting brew.

The aftertaste is wonderful. I wish I had five or six of these to guzzle, but for $4.99 a bottle, it is a luxury I will have to forgo. There are other less expensive representatives of the style that make more sense, but there isn't anything here I could fault outside of the price.

Hitachino Nest White Ale from Kiuchi Brewery