Hitachino Nest White Ale | Kiuchi Brewery

Reviews: 539 | Ratings: 1,492
4.29/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bottled poured into snifter

a- hazy creme golden color

s- nice light citrus almost lemon note...wheat....

t- little sour...spiced taste....nice wheat finish...light and crisp

m- light moutheel...tingley(think from carbonation)

o- I enjoyed it....not my favorite style of beer but this is very good...recommend it

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

The Owl is staring right at me.

Best before date 2011.09

Pours a cloudy straw colored body with light and bubbly white head that dissipates fairly quickly. Spots of lacing like white owls flying above a frothy gold and white sea below..

As soon as I poured it there were hints of sulfur..but they faded..perhaps the batch was brewed in haste.

Aroma and flavours of wheat, yeast, spices, coriander, sweet orange..

Nice carbonation typical of the style. Dry and overall a very nice Japanese White Ale. To be honest, I drank two in a row but I really don't see why it get's all this praise. Not sure if I'm just not getting it or if this was a bad batch..it probably could have been fresher. The LCBO seemed to have held onto it for quite some time..I'll have to give it another try some other time.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

A Witbeer from Japan? Oh - I have to try that! Be forewarned that this is no typical Belgian Wit. It is a hazy golden color with a nice frothy white head that goes to nice lacing with nice carbonation. The aroma is of spice and slight fruit. The flavor is vell spiced dominated, some citrus at the end. A top notch wheat brew from Japan!

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Pale white with less than a finger of head. Smelled like aome fruit. maybe some oranges and apples. very interesting. Tasted not unlike liiight orange. not malty hoppy or any notes of those. maybe a bit resiny. Mouthfeel was lacking in my opinion. I like a thicker witbier and this feel short with quite a thin palate. Overall I liked it enough to give it an B+. The mouth feel was average but everything else has me have hope for those japanese breweries.

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Cloudy golden color. No head whatsoever.

S- Reserved notes showing some orange and pear, some baking spice.

T- Subtle, but pleasant citrus fruit and herbal flavors. Clean, long finish.

M- Light to medium bodied and exceptionally easy to drink. Good carbonation balanced with a soft, almost creamy texture. It leaves the palate fresh and clean.

O- I'd love it if this were a bit less expensive as I would drink it all summer long. I'm impressed with the mouthfeel and texture here above everything else, but this is an excellent example of Witbier.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Left overs from our Weisses/Wits tasting.

A - Poured into an Abbey de Leffe chalice; pours a very light, almost brassy yellow color; head dissipated quickly, leaving only about a millimeter's worth of thin lacing on the top. Almost no head to speak of remaining, highly carbonated.

S - Smells of faint fruit, not much to it at all in this category. Come to think of it, it's a little off-putting, whatever smell it does have.

T - Here's where it gets interesting. I think what this beer does on the palate is extremely unique by witbier standards. The liquid strikes the tongue extremely tangy and bitter - you can't help ignore the citrusy tang that fills and dances on the tastebuds. It commands a green leafy presence before eventually mellowing out to a bready characteristic. The tang reminds me of biting into a ripe granny smith apple - almost has the same pucker as an under-ripe mango (green skin, yellow meat). I'd have to classify this as the most unique witbier I've tried yet - not in terms of substantive quality but rather, of individuality.

M - Puckery at first, mellows on the way down, dissolves into a solid bready aftertaste. Good for fans of sour jacks!

D - Extremely smooth, crisp, refreshing. Leaves a little thirst in the mouth and sitting at 750mLs, probably just one would do nicely among partners.

A very interesting take on the style!

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

This is one of the most unique beers Ive ever had. Not even sure its a beer. Tastes like ginger ale on crack.

A: Almost exactly like Blue Moon but a bit thinner. Yellow/golden because its definitely more yellow than golden. Great head. Almost more head than beer. The head reminds me of the "fizz" from a Sprite.

S: CHINESE FOOD. Ginger hints with some green tea. Maybe target hops?

T: Wow...might as well be Ginger Ale. Coriander spices, ginger and tea are dominant. The wheat is completely unnoticeable as well the hops.

M: Highly carbonated. Almost too much for my liking. A bit overpowering.

D: Probably could go through an entire 6.

Overall: Honestly, this is closer to some sort of malt beverage made by Mikes Hard Lemonade than a beer. Creative is really the only word to describe this "beer". Impressive

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Purchased by the case at Shangy's. There were two sizes offered, but both had the same short and fat styled bottles. I really wanted to try this as there aren't many "craft" breweries in Japan. A Japanese Witbier? We'll see. . .

There wasn't much of a head upon pouring, but the color is real nice. It is a hazy gold with a hint of pink. Like the outside of a ripe grapefruit.

Smells of Citrus and Coriander. Not much else, but nicely balanced (note on style: coriander isn't really my thing, but I can appreciate it in the style)

Taste: The normal witbier tastes, but what stands out is the citrus in the back of the throat. It's almost lemony. Very clean finish and not much of an aftertaste.

Overall, this is one of my favorites in the style. Of course I would have probably enjoyed it more in the spring or summer. This is one of the beers I could drink with breakfast and lunch in the summer. (the other is Allagash).

Will drink again, hopefully I will be able to find again it in the summer.

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into my Hoegaarden glass.

A: A really nice color. A unfiltered golden that poured pretty flat without much carbonation. Stills looks pretty darn good though. Suspended yeast towards the bottom of the glass.

S: Wonderful aromas of orange peel & spice. Much more aromatic then most Wit's I've come across.

T: A slightly tangy taste. The spices (coriander, clove) definately come through. The citrus flavor is also quite detectable.

M: A refreshing mouthfeel! The wheat flavor is really nice & dies off a bit toward the end to finish with a thinner feel.

3.37/5  rDev -17%

Appearance- Pale yellow color with zero head.
Smell- Not much going on.. faint citrus and maybe some banana
Taste- Slight citrus, wheat, coriander
Feel- Good carbonation.
Overall this beer isn't anything special.. a step up from blue moon... would go well with some sushi.

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Cloudy bright straw colour, thin white head dissipates quickly, initially really carbonated but slowed.

S:Sweet, hoppy, slight citrus, hint of pepper.

T: Citrusy.

M: Light and refreshing.

O: Overall extremely enjoyable, I don't like citrusy beers but this one is done really well. Highly recommend it!

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really enjoyed this straight from the bottle. Interesting citrus notes with some vanilla. Easily and quickly drank. Nice but can get cheaper beers for the same quality.

4.02/5  rDev -1%

I had this at my favorite NYC beer bar in both bottle and draft. To my taste buds, this was kind of like a spicier Hoegarden, with strong orange-blossom notes (which I was later told was due to the corriander and other spices they use in the brewing process). It smells fantastic. I actually prefer this to Hoegarden and will look for it next summer. It was light, refreshing and delicious. Definitely worth a try if you like Hoegarden but want something a bit more exotic.

3.62/5  rDev -10.8%

Color was hazy yellow and possibly just slightly over carbonated, but just slightly. The aroma was sweet and spicy with hints of fruit and maybe straw?. The taste was much of the same with a smooth medium body. This is one of the more interesting witbiers that I have come across so far.

3.39/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance - Hazy pale yellow, 1.5 finger head, low carbonation. Head fades quickly.

Aroma - Big on the coriander and nutmeg. Light citrus character along with the tangy wheat malt and adjuncts.

Taste - Sour citrus notes, like a mix of sour lemonade and orange juice up front. Although they don't use any I'm getting some ginger notes as well. Definitely get a mix of nutmeg and coriander in the end with some tartness. Medium body. Almost a completely dry finish though.

Tangy and refreshing, great for a hot day.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Very pleasant, very crisp and perfect refreshing balance of a white ale done Japanese--clean cut. Orange/citrus on the nose, pours a golden yellow w/ minimal head--separates it from the comparable UFO.

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

Reviewed from notes of 12/22/10

Serving from 1 pint bottle. Appealing graphics screen printed on glass.

A = Yellow hue that was semi clowdy but closer in appearance to a lager. High carbonation. Limited froth with a soapy glass like lace.

S = Flower, heavy citrus, and mild sea water. Very pleasant.

T = Heavy citrus, flower and wheat. In that order. Reminded me of Summer.

M = More carbonation than I expected due to the citrus. The finish was more like a lager with notes of salt.

D = Really an easy drinker that behaved more like a summer lager than an ale. The citrus notes can be a real crowd pleaser. I highly recommend this with sashimi or oysters on the half.

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

Alright. Bottom line is that this beer is good, not my top pick but very drinkable, and has a lot going for it.

It looks nice - hazy gold.
smells interesting - like fresh bread, bannana, pineapple, and faint hops.
Taste is interesting, but still, not a huge fan of wheat beers - Banana (not my first choice to put into a beer), lemon, yeast, very small hop flavor, and maybe rosemary?
Smooth yet thick on the palate. It's easily drinkable, but I wouldn't go for more than two or three in one sitting.

I would drink it again - just because it's interesting enough; but considering this is an asian brewery, its really impressive and mostly, I think it just makes me want to see what their other beers are like.

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

A - pours into a hazy golden color with a limited foam head that dissolves gradually..

S - smells of citrus and orange peel

T - very citrus rich taste thats really crisp and refreshing

M - not really acidic nor does it hit you with an alcoholic punch....with a moderate body to it...

I LOVE this white ale....tastes waaaay better than Hoeegarden and Im standing by that accusation. It has so much flavor and the right amount of hops and cloves. Brilliant beer....I really recommend this beer to anyone trying white ales for the first time or fans of it...truly a delicious drink...

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a bright golden color until the settled yeast is shaken up and added to make a hazy pale yelloow hue. The nose is that of sour lemons and wheat,there is definately some tartness on the nose also. Lemons and orange peels, along with corriander on the palate, wheat is present and a sour yeasty taste, almost like a lemon sweet tart. Light bodied and extremely refreshing, great beer for the summer or anytime of the year.

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

This is a beer my brother raved about for a while after he discovered it last year. I came across some bottles and decided to put aside my prejudices that something of decent quality can't come in such an adorably twee little package. Though that said, I do kinda want to hug this bottle. Super-kawaii.

I'm either too indie or not nearly indie enough, having recently acquired some completely unbranded pint glasses, so I'll be using them until I figure out which. Opened the 12 oz. bottle carefully, as my girlfriend has requested that I save the bottlecaps so she can make more earrings. Poured a cloudy, sickly yellow color. Maybe half a finger of head, dissipated rapidly and left no real lacing to speak of.

What's lacking in the visual aspect is more than made up for in the smell. Tons of lemon, ginger, yeast, the hopes and desires of a nation struggling to return to their daily lives after a tremendous metaphorical and literal upheaval.

This beer tastes exactly like an awesomely fucked-up glass of orange juice. Citric and plenty hoppy for my personal tastes. Some nice spices, too; nutmeg and maybe a little bit of cardamom. Light and airy. I wasn't expecting the carbonation to be this nice, given the poor head retention. Tremendously refreshing on a warm day.

Tasteless jokes aside, this brewery has done a tremendously good thing by temporarily shifting over their bottling capacity to supply water to the earthquake victims. Not only do they make great beer, but they're great people as well. Though that does mean I'll be hoarding any bottles of this nectar I come across until Japan achieves normality.

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

Tasty little brew
Very cloudy, straw like tones, with minimal head that disappears quickly, even after a vigorous pour.
Complex and pleasing smell - sake like with pine and citrus undertones: brilliant!
Effervescent, smooth and mellow with a great aftertaste that leaves me licking my lips.
Overall its a fine one that I'll go back t oagain and again.

4.77/5  rDev +17.5%

After revisiting this beer (possibly for the last time for a while, since our local distributor has decided to stop carrying it) I remember why it is one of my all-time favorites. The nose hits you with a burst of freshly ground cardamom and a slight hint of lemon and citrus. The color is a very light gold, with little to no head, but fine, tight bubbles. The flavor can only be described as exotic. You get some of the cardamom and citrus that you find on the nose, but there is also a slightly fruity character similar to star fruit, or perhaps papaya. Very clean finish, with little to no bite. It is one of those rare beers where you get a slightly different flavor every time you take a sip, so it doesn't get boring. It also pairs exceptionally well with food (especially- go figure- sushi!).

Since wine usually doesn’t pair well with spicy food I recommend this beer to people frequently when they come into the store where I work and ask for something to go with hotter fare. It will take the sting out of the fieriest Asian and Indian foods.

A small word of warning- When first opened, this beer can sometimes give off a skunky, cheap-pilsner smell, but it usually dissipates quickly. A great summer beer, if you are looking for something other than a pilsner or a weiss beer. I will miss it dearly!

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Nice foggy body but little head and no retention. Nice small bubble lacing though. Smells like a Witbier with orange and other citrusy hints. Nice full aroma that lingers.

Great light feel on the tongue countered by sharp carbonation which I like. The almost fluffy feel smooth out well and leaves a cool, soft after-feel that almost bubbles strangely like Orangina or something. Great balanced taste with citrus tones and a solid bitterness that's even with a smooth malt.

Very enjoyable drink that's light and easy but feels full. Will drink again.

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Bottle, Poured into a Tulip Glass

Appearance: A thin, white head, no bigger than half a finger, forms on the immediate pour. This quickly dissipates into a nice foam over the top of the beer. Hazy and golden in color, this is a perfect looking white ale. About a 6 SRM.

Scent: Coriander is the first thing that hits my nose. Definitely has the spiciness of a traditional Belgian Wit. There is a bit of citrus towards the end, no doubt from some orange peel. The aroma carries a fantastic wheat scent that doesn't overwhelm the nose and works perfectly with the spice.

Taste: This beer is unmistakably a wheat ale. Definitely some wheat flavors on the front followed by hint of citrus. As the beer sits in your mouth there is a very slight acidity. On the finish you get the spiciness followed by a hint of bitterness, both from the hops and the orange peel.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth on the mouth with a light body. Upon hitting the tongue you immediately feel the high levels of carbonation dancing in your mouth. The effervescence complements the spices perfectly.

Overall: I've had a few White Ales cross my palate and I've become disappointed by anything outside of Belgium. American White Ales are lacking the warm, spicy flavors that are typically associated with a Belgian Wit. Most American Whites I try are very light in body and taste. This Japanese White Ale has reassured me that I don't need to stick with the Belgians to get a quality White Ale.

Hitachino Nest White Ale from Kiuchi Brewery