Hitachino Nest Weizen | Kiuchi Brewery

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-16-2001

2.25/5  rDev -39.8%

2.3/5  rDev -38.5%

OK, I had big hopes for this beer. I love their witbier and the large bottles kick ass. Maybe it sat on the shelves too long where I bought it. Maybe it's just not that good.

Straw colored with a big white head (sounds like a hefe weizen so far!). The head quickly disolved to leave room for my nose to detect some serious sourness. This is not your typical banana tasting hefe, rather I though it tasted more like a bad attempt at a tripel. Too much sourness and not much of the sweet refreshingness of most Hefes.

I would only buy again if I knew it was fresh and stored correctly. Not on a dusty shelf under neon lights off of RT 47 in NJ.

2.39/5  rDev -36.1%

Bottle: Poured a bright clear orangey color ale with a nice foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of citrus is more powerful then I would have expected with light wheat notes also noticeable. Taste was more tart and citrusy then I had expected with light wheat malt notes - makes me wonder if I had an infected bottle. Body was quite full with good carbonation. A bit too tart for my taste and I will have to re-rate that one.

2.45/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Poured a plae and slightly hazy yellow, more like 4pm Spring settign sun. Some lacing, but not as spectacular as the real deal straight from Deutschland. Hardly any had after the pour and no retention whta so ever.

Smell- A little tart and not the enjoyable aroma of wheat I always expect from a weiss. More like a macro lager smell to me.

Taste- Oretty bland and a hint of tartness to add to my disappointment. A apanese weiss never tasted so unsatisfying.

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

2.58/5  rDev -31%

This poured a pale straw color with fluffy white head. It smelled like potent yeast with a bit of rice and floral hops. It had a light and watery flavor of sweet and sour lemon grass, but it lacked any further tastes for balance. It was watery with tons of carbonation that actually made it more difficult to taste the flavor, but it had a crisp and bitter aftertaste. Overall this was a little more enjoyable (to me) than most weizens, mostly because its bland flavor made it more drinkable. But as a beer in general, it simply wasn't good.

2.68/5  rDev -28.3%

Light gold color, medium head. Weird nose, citrusy and spicy and ???. Malty and way too hoppy for a weizen. Kind of tart. Citrus, herb and flowery. A little dry. A different beer, but not a weizen, none of the typical banana and clove flavor . Mouthfeel is full. Finish is crisp and dry. Aftertaste is a little sweet and alcoholic.

2.76/5  rDev -26.2%

This beer poured out as a bright yellow color with some floating particles in there. The head is fizzy and white. No retention or lacing at all on this beer. The smell of the beer is a little spicy, the traditional clove aromas are there. The aroma doesn't give off my o the soft bready aromas that I feel it should. The taste of the beer has a big clove flavor with a minimal banana flavor like most have. The mouthfeel of the beer was a little high in carbonation and a bit watery. Overall I wasn't very impressed with this beer.

2.78/5  rDev -25.7%

About the same color as the White but slightly better head. There's a slight soapiness, some lemon, not a lot of flavor at all. Maybe if I could have gotten the damn yeast to stop sticking to the bottom of the bottle and pour into the glass it would have had a bit more flavor but it wouldn't budge no matter how hard I swirled. There were overtones of vinegar and herbs in the aroma that made the beer hard to drink. It did have a nice velvety mouthfeel, though.

2.82/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours into the glass a traditional murky, cloudy dark orange color. Head began as two fingers of frothy off-white foam. Head quickly receded to a wispy cap. Lacing was minimal.

Smell was a mix of raw grain, yeast, mild citrus and bubblegum.

Taste was citrus and metallic. Lingering metallic, acidic aftertaste.

I did not finish or enjoy this one. My hope is that this bottle was hopelessly beyond it's prime. That could not have been what the brewer intended to market.
I will try and find another to re-review.

2.83/5  rDev -24.3%

Another bottle out of my now-infamous basement. I am happy to be emptying it out over the course of the summer, if anyone cares to join me.

My pour resulted in a lovely finger-and-a-half of fluffy eggnog-colored head with good retention. Color was a cloudy deep-brown, like fresh-squeezed apple cider. Nose was citrusy, like a lemon had already been squeezed into it. Mouthfeel was thin, kind of watery with a gentle wheat flavor and not much else. It could have used a squeeze/slice of lemon or something, anything. Finish was bland and unassuming. Not a very good iteration of the style.

2.85/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This bottle seemed overly sweet, lots of the banana and bubblegum, but lacking in the bready flavors and a little weak in the body. Bottle may be a little old.

2.87/5  rDev -23.3%

A- Lively carbonation as I pour from a 330 ml bottle. Just like my last beer from Kiuchi the head fizzled out and left no lace behind. Color is a cloudy dirty yellow.

S- Smell mainly consists of wheat & lemons. There's a hint of spice as well.

T- It's fairly tart throughout and the finish is rather sweet and sticks with you for awhile. The label says "Enjoy the banana like flavor", well I'm still trying to find it.

M- Light bodied probably to thin actually, but the carbonation helps it a bit and makes it somewhat refreshing.

D- Meh, I'll pass next time.

2.88/5  rDev -23%

I picked this up in Ikebukuro (Tokyo) and am now drinking it as a nightcap in my hotel room. The bottle is 330ml, a squat fattie.

Everything about this beer was a disappointment to me, as i was expecting a hefeweizen and got more of a wheat ale. There were no flavors such as banana or clove or apple or anything else which I identify with good hefeweizen. Just some mild fruit and wheat aromas (such as an American wheat ale). Pale golden color (almost witbier appearance) was OK I guess, and the mouthfeel was thickish. But other than that I was disappointed.

2.92/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

BOTTLE: 11.2 fl oz. Brown glass. Branded black pry-off crown cap. Owl on the label in classic Hitachino Nest fashion.

5.50% ABV. Best before: 2016.10. Hefeweizen.

HEAD: 5cm wide. White colour. Frothy. Soft-looking. Leaves no lacing as it recedes, which takes about 2 minutes.

BODY: Turbid hazy orange. Sadly, it`s rather dull. More vibrance would make it more appealing. No yeasty sediment is visible within.

AROMA: Lemony twang, wheat, doughy yeast, coriander, barley. Suggests a spritzy light-bodied ale.

I detect no banana or orange peel.

Aromatic intensity is average.

TASTE & TEXTURE: Fruity, nodding towards faint lychee and some kind of vague tropical citrus (but not the usual orange peel one would expect in a hefeweizen).

Spritzy and light with a toned-down wheat backbone. Not terribly fresh in taste, but not stale either.

Yeast character isn`t as doughy or as subtle as the aroma suggested. It`s a light beer, yes, but it`s also somewhat thin, bordering on watery, and stops short of feeling refreshing. Smooth and wet. Well-carbonated.

OVERALL: The subtle yeast esters and impeccable balance boasted by the best hefeweizen style beers is absent here, replaced by an atraditional fruity character. I like that the brewery is approaching the hefeweizen style in a different way, but the result is not a cut above your average German hefeweizen in terms of quality. It`s not a bad brew by any means, but I`d sooner reach for a Franziskaner, Ayinger, Weihenstephaner, or even Erdinger. This isn`t in the same league by any stretch.

C (AVERAGE)

2.95/5  rDev -21.1%

This weizen had a golden color, with a decent, small bubbled head. There was not too much lace. The aroma was not too bad - clovey, spicey (nutmeg?), and citrusy. The taste had many of the same elements as the aroma - cloves, spices, citrus. It was also a bit grassy with some maltiness. It had a spicey and dry finish that was verging on sour. Definately not an awful beer, but one I probably won't buy again.

Hitachino Nest Weizen from Kiuchi Brewery