Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout | Kiuchi Brewery

kodawari.cc

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by BeerBeing on 07-20-2007

Ratings: 1,003 |  Reviews: 421

Pours a dark black with a dark brown head. This beer has one of the most beautiful aromas I've ever experienced. Very strong coffee bean/espresso presence as well as a burnt dark chocolate scent. The coffee/espresso theme again is dominant in the taste but a nice dark chocolate taste balances it out perfectly not making it too bitter. A nice combination of caffeine kick and alcohol strength. One of the best infusion of coffee and alcohol that I have tasted and Hitachino's best beer.

4.92/5  rDev +24.9%

This beer was served to me in the bottle which I poured myself into the glass. It is a deep brown-black opaque color with a tan head. The smell is of (naturally!) espresso, coffee and chocolate and the taste is the same. And yet, even though it tasted exactly as it should, it was still unique! The flavor was strong, like roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate, a perfect balance. It was easy to drink, one of those beers that is gone before you realize it.

4.87/5  rDev +23.6%

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle. Dark brown almost black with a tan head with small bubbles. Strong coffee aroma with dark chocolate, toffee, some roast. Medium mouthfeel with flavors of espresso coffee but without the edgy bitterness such as from better coffee beans. Chocolate and toasted sugar compliment the coffee and last long into the finish. A new favorite for anyone who likes their coffee strong and enjoys a well-made stout.

4.85/5  rDev +23.1%

I have decided to make this my 100th review! I have a few reviews I haven't posted yet, but for all the great beers and great styles i had, this one in particular was just such an amazing brew.

I enjoyed this bottle at Stumelagram V

it pours up black with a big frothy dark brown head. the nose is sweet, coffee beans, chocolate, vanilla. beautiful! and the taste? wow! hits you with chocolate and coffee. the finish is sweet malty earth. full bodied, low carbo.

congrats Hitachino. for being the only Japanese brewery that can melt my panties...

4.82/5  rDev +22.3%

Presentation: 11.2 oz bottle into a snifter.

A- Deep mahogany - black, and opaque. Pours with 1 1/2 fingers brown head, which settles gradually into a thin cap.

S- BIG espresso notes (!) when first poured. Hints of chocolate and earthiness. Nice.

T- Wonderful roasty espresso hits right off. A berry-like (young raspberry??) flavor which I can't quite pin down rolls around the mid palate and adds a touch of sweet and sour. Bitterness is spot on and lingers exactly how I'd want it to in a coffee / espresso stout. I'm quite enjoying this.

M- Smooth and creamy...almost "fluffy" feeling.

D- Man....as a coffee / espresso fiend, I am digging this one more than about any coffee or espresso stout that I've ever had...

Future outlook: I must go get more of this....

4.76/5  rDev +20.8%

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a black color and a thick consistency. There was a big. creamy, long-lasting head and excellent lacing. This is one of the best-looking stouts I've seen.

S: The espresso comes through the most, with traces of malt and some hops.

T: The espresso is almost overwhelming at first, but becomes less noticable as you go along. Also has some chocolate, mellow malt and just noticable hops.

M: Well carbonated with a dry finish. Full-bodied.

D: An incredibly drinkable imperial stout. Very easy to like.

Excellent beer, 9/10 would try again

4.7/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a deep dark brown/black. I don't see any light through this one. The tan/brown head built up and dissipated quickly to a ring that persisted throughout the experience and laced well. It looks medium - not watery and not super viscous.

S: Let this one warm up to proper drinking temperature otherwise you will miss the fullness of this one. Strong robust coffee with rich chocolate and vanilla tones.

T: This is so good as a coffee stout. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea (well, beer really) but I like this. Rich dark coffee leads the charge with dark creamy chocolate and vanilla bringing up the rear. The coffee flavor lingers as it coats the tongue.

M: It feels creamy smooth with a nice warming effect. It definitely gives an oily sensation as it coats the tongue to prolong the sensation.

D: This is a well balanced, flavorful, wonderful coffee stout. It is a little rich. I like it but I know some people won't. This one is a one per session beer. I am really glad this one was brought to my area and my attention. I will add this as one of my favorites for the style.

Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout from Kiuchi Brewery