Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout | Kiuchi Brewery

Liked:
3.94/5
Alströms:

1.09/5  rDev -72.3%

Appearance:
Pours our a nearly black body with red highlights and a huge dark tan head that leaves only minimal spotting on the glass. There is so much fizz in this beer that it literally leapt from the bottle all over the counter (about 1/4 of the bottle escaped though I'm not disappointed - see below).

Smell:
This is one funky brew. Obviously, there is coffee packed in here but it's like they left it on the burner for hours and hours leaving behind a burnt sludge (and I only drink espresso --not coffee-- so it's not just a weak palate here...). Also, there is a weird sour sweetness, like a rotting green apple.

Taste:
Much like the smell, there is a huge pop of bitter, burnt coffee and overly sour funky. Nothing else, just yuck. Hello Drain.

Mouthfeel:
For such a deeply colored, pungently flavored brew, it has at best a medium body. There is so much fizz, it almost hurts to drink.

Drinkability:
No and No.

Comment:
That is 2 for 2 from Hitachino (Kiuchi Brewery) that have been utterly disgusting and hugely overpriced ($5.49 / 11.2oz) crap. Royally peeved and will not purchase anything from them again.

1.68/5  rDev -57.4%

Presentation: Poured from an 11.2 oz stubby brown bottle into an Imperial pint glass. Label is the semi psychedelic label so common on Hitachino beers. This one has a red owl surrounded by mustard and brown rings. Described as a "Japanese dark ale brewed with coffee." No clear freshness date.

Appearance: Pours with 4 full fingers of very dark brown head. Difficult to tell where the head stops and the beer begins. This settles slowly, eventually falling to a still substantial 1 finger coating of foam. Nice lacing. The beer itself is black and thick, not even a hint of light around the edges. Fair amount of sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Interesting smell, not sure what to think of it. Strong bitter and astringent coffee/espresso aroma, almost strong enough to be unpleasant. The astringency and acidity combine to form an almost vinegary/Tabasco aroma.

Taste: Taste of over extracted coffee overwhelms any other flavor. Vinegary/acidic flavor is here too, adding an unpleasant sourness to the finish.

Mouthfeel: Average to slightly lower than average carbonation level. Body is thin.

Drinkability: Um, no. Didn't like this one at all. The coffee flavors seemed to be over extracted, causing unpleasant bitterness and astringency. Mix this with the vinegary off flavor and this beer was a mess. My second Hitachino beer, and my second disappointment.

Thin and not enough coffee

2.13/5  rDev -45.9%

I have had some great coffee beers, like Terrapin's Wake and Bake, but recently all the ones I taste have burnt coffee flavors combined with Worcestershire. This is one of those beers.

This beers is very nice looking. Pitch black with a dark brown head that is sizable for a double stout.

Worcestershire and burnt coffee aroma. Not as bad as some of the aforementioned brews. That is to say it is unpleasant, but tolerable.

Worcestershire and burnt coffee again; however it finishes with a sweet nutty roastiness that is pleasant. Still not good though.

Body is smooth, rich, lightly carbonated, and slightly decadent. Nice, but it cant make up for the bad flavor.

Nearly a drain-pour. I do really like the finish in this beer though; sweet and nutty.

2.16/5  rDev -45.2%

2.18/5  rDev -44.7%

Poured out of an 11.2 oz. bottle into a chalice.

A: This beer poured a nice dark brown, nearly black color with a decently thick light brown/tan head that lingered, slowly dissipating into the brew.

S: There was a slight at best coffee/espresso aroma to this brew.

T: No flavor or depth to the beer. The taste was extremely bitter and was gone immediately upon swallowing.

M: Although there was a nice head on the beer, drinking it gave the sense that very little carbonation was present.

D: At first, I found the lack of flavor annoying, but I persevered. As I continued through half the glass the bitterness was overpowering, leaving an almost metallic taste in my mouth - as if I had been licking stainless steel. I finished the bottle, but it was extremely difficult.

Note: I am left to wonder how long this beer sat around at the liquor store before I picked her up. It seemed too awful to be fresh. Unfortunately, I am not sure if I can bring myself to purchase another as if it is a fresh/lack thereof issue, I will have no way of knowing where the others on the shelf fall on the freshness scale.

2.25/5  rDev -42.9%

2.25/5  rDev -42.9%

2.34/5  rDev -40.6%

I disliked this beer. Overpowering coffee notes and flavor. The bitterness is not balanced by some needed sweetness. Like drinking a beer with the remnants of yesterday's French press added. I was so prepared to like this beer. And I feel like it is actually close to being good, but it needs a complex sweetness to counter the grainy, earthy coffee presentation.

2.47/5  rDev -37.3%

I got this beer from a bottle at Port Royal Lounge in BR. It poured a deep black color with a decent sized head and lacing. The smell was lacking for most Imperial stouts, as I could barely pick up any aroma besides some faint malts. The taste was a strong maltiness followed by a funky bitter flavor, which dominated the aftertaste. I think the coffee flavor was too pronounced, which hid away the taste of the beer itself. The beer had a decent thickness and carbonation, but the aftertaste was awful. I had trouble finishing this beer, and only finished it because of it's cost. It wasn't worth the price, and I probably will not purchase this beer again.

2.71/5  rDev -31.2%

Thanks to 011x0110 for this via SS08.

Pours from a shortboy, 11.2oz bottle into a pint glass. The glass is overflowing with a looks-to-be-infected type head. The head is about 50% of the glass. The head and the beer slowly inch there way together, commencing in a rather anticlimactic reunion. Pox of lacing.

Not much stout in the aroma. A touch of coffee but mostly a sort of caramel chocolate muffin aroma. No espresso. Perhaps "a grab bag of Halloween candy" more aptly describes the aroma. Whatever it is, I am not a fan. A bit too much fruit.

A sour green apple flavor immediately emerges and is followed by a puckering sour apple flavor. A bit of roasted malts and maybe some coffee. Really fruity and sour and seems ruined to me. The taste becomes a bit more tolerable with more consecutive sips, but the feeling of something going wrong in this one still sticks with me. Really really chalky as well.

I am not sure if this beer is infected or not. Looks maybe, smell says maybe, flavor says maybe. Maybe its just me. With all of the espresso/coffee/java stouts out there, this one is way down the list as far as tastiness. Glad for the chance but I wasnt a fan.

2.74/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 1.5

11.2oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - jet black with 1cm of a light brown to brown head. I guess only Duvel has a massive head in a Duvel tulip. there was no hint of light coming through. the head shrank a little, but for the most part it stuck around.

S - Espresso, espresso, and espresso. I've had Breakfast Stout, Kentucky Breakfast Stout and even Peché Mortel and none of those has as strong of a coffee flavor as this beer. it was so powerful that i couldn't smell anything else in this beer. that's why the smell rating suffered: one dimensionality.

T - powerful espresso taste with some suggestions of dark cocoa. roasted dark malts is also present. my experience with Imperial Stout is as follows: Russian Imperial Stouts tend to have more complex yet balanced flavor profiles. American Double Imperial Stouts tend to be more focused on one flavor, while also having some diversity and not seeming one dimensional. The beer for the most part had nothing else in it except coffee. Some other flavors would have been nice. And overall, I can sum up my feeling on the flavor as follows: If i wanted to drink a cup of coffee, I'd drink a cup of coffee. I want to know that I'm drinking a beer. This does not taste like beer. This is coffee.

M - creamy full bodied feel with loads of carbonation but yet it never seemed overcarbonated.

D - this beer was a drain pour for me, but it is rated pretty high because my reviews are as always, objective. I hated the flavor, but it did partially meet the qualifications of the category well.

2.75/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.78/5  rDev -29.4%

Great 1 finger dark brown head. Head is much darker than most stouts I see these days with the body pitch black. Smell is mostly dark candied fruit. Has a very chocolate covered raisin quality to it. Deep dark chocolate. Big reminder of DFH WWS. Funny I don't really detect the espresso. But it does smell great and strong. The taste I am really not getting honestly. Very tart and tangy. A lot of citrus. And I do mean LOTS of sour citrus. Damn odd if you ask me. The chocolate does barely come thru in the end but I still don't see any espresso in this. I wonder if this may be my first infected bottle after 3 years? Also the carbonation is a bit aggressive. I think I will have to see this to a watery grave.

2.83/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Dark black body with a medium tan fluffy head. Lacing sticks well on the glass, and leaves nice rings.

S: The scent is very mild with some notes of chocolate and some coffee.

T: It has a fairly charcoal-like roasted flavor. There is a lot of this charcoal bitterness. I don't get as much coffee or chocolate flavor as I smell.

M: The bitterness takes away a lot from the mouthfeel, giving it a harsh unpleasantness. The aftertaste is just more burnt popcorn. The beer feels like the carbonation is just right, but the beer feels too dry. Fairly thin mouthfeel as well.

O: Overall I didn't like the beer. For a imperial stout the beer was just way too harsh and burnt. It lost any true espresso flavor. Maybe if you like to scrape your coffee off the bottom of a pot that has had the burner on all night, this could be for you. If you're a fan of delicious tasting coffee, with that rich roasted bean flavor and freshly ground aroma...this beer is not for you.

2.84/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout from Kiuchi Brewery